Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2003 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #76
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Avid Mojo is here! Avid Xpress Pro is here!

The wait is finally over - Mojo is in stock!

I realize for many of you the jury is still out on Mojo, but Real-Time analog & DV output is a VERY big feature. And with Mojo you can do it with a laptop or workstation!

The component and uncompressed features are a nice addition to the feature set, especially if you do a lot of After Effects work and/or complex titling sequences. While these sequences must be rendered, you can drop them into your Xpress Pro timeline made up of DV footage and it will play out in real-time.

We've put together some pretty cool bundles with Mojo & Xpress Pro upgrades. http://www.videoguys.com/XpressPro.html

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old October 7th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #77
Regular Crew

AVID Free DV available

As promised, AVID Free DV is now available for download:

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp
Old October 10th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #78
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

New Liquid Edition Upgrade

Liquid Edition is the next version of Pinnacle Edition. They've added some great new features to Edition 5.5 that many users were requesting. My two favorite are:

CX Color Correction - Liquid Edition now has color correction capabilities that are as good as it gets.

Dynamic Speed Control - this allows you to control the sped of a clip over it's duration. Vegas calls this 'Velocity Envelopes' - i just call it "COOL!"

Users of Edition 5 upgrade to Liquid Edition for $49 (if you purchased Edition after 8/1 you qualify for a $49 mail in rebate)

Users of Adobe Premiere and Pinnacle Studio can now upgrade to Liquid Edition for $399.95. You don't have to send back any software or hardware. (The installer will require one oof these titles to complete).

For more info check out http://www.videoguys.com/edition.html

Gary
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:00 AM   #79
HDV Cinema

Avid Free DV and HDV editing

As part of writing a Free DV tutorial (see www.mindspring.com/~d-v-c if you are interested) I decided to see if Free DV could edit HDV.

Or, more specifically, if it could work with my 4HDV. I did not expect this could work.

But I found I had no trouble importing the AIFF and Proxy MOV files and editing them. It seems Free DV is very QT oriented so it accepts MOV files.

I then tried to import the MPEG-2 MOV files so they could get linked to the Proxies. By now I had hope that with the Apple MPEG-2 decoder installed, QT would let me open these MOV files.

The import started fine. But after a long delay -- while I stopped breathing -- an error message appeared. Damn.

But I don't yet know if this is a Free DV or an Xpress DV limitation.

I'll try next week when I get Xpress DV Pro (with Mojo) to review.

By the way, while Avid tried it's best to cripple Free DV -- oddly what they've provided for free is perfect for LONG-FORM video productions. Which is great news for us who do not do SHORT-FORM multi-layer effects-driven work. And so far on a Mac, it has been rock solid!

And, seems to work with iDVD.
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:28 AM   #80
Major Player

Steve,

Is your experience only with the Apple version?

Has anyone tested Avid Free DV on the PC side?

Brian
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:47 AM   #81
HDV Cinema

Only on Mac, but don't expect any differences.

I've worked with Xpress DV on both Mac and PC and never found any differences.
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:02 AM   #82
Inner Circle

Steve,

Coming as it does from a feature film production background, Avid's strong suit has always been long form. For media management, it's hands down the best. Glad you like FreeDV, enjoy PRO... my upgrade is on the way.

Richard
Old November 4th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #83
Trustee

AVID releases new software

Could someone check to see if it will import HDV??

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/videography/article_5030.shtml

It says, "MPEG-2" in the list of encodable formats.

Thanks,

Chris
Old November 4th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #84
HDV Cinema

As soon as Avid updates XpressDV Pro to support 10.3 I'll be reviewing it.

And will check both HD Pixlet and HD MPEG-2 import.
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #85
Trustee

Thanks Steve.

Chris
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #86
Major Player

avid Expres pro

I am used to editing on fcp but now I have a job on AVID Express pro, i checked the manual but its not clear on a few things
1) in fcp i can look at a videofile in my browser but i can also see the audiofiles, how do i do that in AVID? I look at the audiofile to see where i want to cut...
2) When editing in the timeline with fcp i can simply drag and pull under to let audio go under other shots, how do i do it with AVID?
Part from this what are the major differences.?

I have been looking through the manual, but my native language is not english so it takes a long time and is not explained fully...

greetings

David

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Major work flow differences.

Down on the left hand corner of the timeline, is a "Hamburger" icon. Click on this, and it will give you menus. Choose "Sample plot" and it will draw the audio waves. You can enlarge the track as big as you want to view it.

Up on the top toolbar, is a "Toolset" menu. Audieo toolset opens all of the audio tools. (Also color correction toolset, recording toolset etc.)

Also down on the left hand side of the timeline, are two "arrows" . Click the red one to "overwrite" and the yellow one to "Splice" (with ripple). When you click on a segment, it will be ready to move, delete, whatever.

FCP and Avid come from very different parradigms, and the workflow is different. FCP more closely resembles "Premier"... though FCP is moving towards a more "Avid" like interface.

Good luck.
Old November 8th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #88
Regular Crew

If you want to extend audio from one shot under another, you need to use what avid calls "trim mode". There is an icon that looks like a can of film, click on this. Then make sure only the tracks you want to adjust are activated, in this case the audio tracks. Now click on the transition you want to adjust. the sides will turn pink.

Up in the composer window you now see two shots. Beneath them are numbers of frames in two boxes. With both of these highlighted, click the >> or << arrows to pull the audio in the direction you want to go by ten frams.

It sound confusing but once you get the hang of it is a precise way to adjust edits. Look up "trim mode" in the manual for more info.
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:09 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Liquid Edition |Manual

Is the manual that comes with Pinnacle Liquid Edition essentially the same as the one for Edition 5 with a few changes or is it a new re-write. Having not had edition, I can't tell the difference.

The "addendum" talks about colour tracking and the motion control, so I am assuming the Liquid manual is the same as the original Edition 5 version...
Is that correct?
Old November 21st, 2003, 11:32 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Nick,

I'm not sure how different the Editon5 and Liquid Edition manuals are. But if you want to check for yourself I think you can download both manual versions, in PDF format, from the support sections of the Pinnacle website. I think you may need to use the US (rather than UK) site to access the version 5 manual.

Hope this helps

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family