DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   FYI: Video Demo of Film workflow and Liquid 7.x (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/66199-fyi-video-demo-film-workflow-liquid-7-x.html)

Stephen L. Noe April 28th, 2006 08:27 PM

FYI: Video Demo of Film workflow and Liquid 7.x

Hi,

Here is the first in a series of "how to" videos with Liquid 7.1. These type of videos are by the seat of my pants so if there are technical errors with the encoding, it is what it is. But you can be sure the information is accurate (as you watch me demo).

This first one is how to capture, edit and get your HD-100 24p content prepared to send to the film post house. It is end to end and if anyone is cutting a movie with ProHD, this is for YOU! I'll try to do a video for ProHD to SD broadcast, DVD and HDTV when using Avid Liquid 7.1 as I get time.

Click here for streaming WMV best viewed full screen 1280x1024.

Click here for QT Mov (H264) For Macs in the house.
download first, and rename the extension from .movx to .mov

S.Noe
szn89Productions Chicago

P.S. PAL and 25P people take heart. Liquid 7.1 works for you end to end.

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2006 08:30 PM

Thanks for sharing this Stephen -- if you need help with file hosting just let me know.

Stephen L. Noe April 28th, 2006 08:32 PM

Chris, if you could stick it that would be great. I want to add a few more specifically for the different delivery types.

Best,

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2006 08:35 PM

I'll have to consult with Tim about the stickies... we have so many of them already. There's got to be some easy way to consolidate all these great threads and still keep 'em at the top. We'll talk it over and come up with a solution. Thanks Stephen,

Paolo Ciccone April 28th, 2006 11:13 PM

Hi Stephen.

Not to be a PITA but any chance of having the video in another format? It crashes my browser (Firefox 1.5) when trying to play it. If I save it to disk and then playt the player (Flip4Mac for QT) plays only the audio and a popup says that I'm missing a component...

Even a low-quality mpeg4 if you can, no biggie otherwise.

Thanks.

Stephen L. Noe April 29th, 2006 11:51 AM

Paolo,

For you my friend a MOV. It starts out kind of dry but picks up at the end.

This represents the 24p film workflow end to end for ProHD using Liquid 7.1. Capture, edit, dump the frame sequence/audio and finally dump the completed sequence to tape (for archive).

Click here for QT Mov (sorenson3)

I used this program called Camtasia. It's an amazing tool for screen capture.

Paolo Ciccone April 29th, 2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Paolo,
For you my friend a MOV. It starts out kind of dry but picks up at the end.

Thank you very much Stephen! Really appreciated.

Tim Dashwood April 29th, 2006 12:31 PM

This is great Stephen. I have something in the works with Chris' cooperation to offer an HTML page with suggested workflows based on shooting mode, platform, NLE, and delivery method. Things are changing rapidly and I wanted to see what progress would be made at NAB with native support before posting a bunch of suddenly obsolete methods. It seems not much has changed.

Of course, I don't own a single Windows machine (until I get the Macbook Pro), so please keep it coming. As a first step, this week I will put together a workflow sticky.
This thread will be included.

thanks again.
Tim.

Paolo Ciccone April 29th, 2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Thank for the suggestion, in the Mac world there is a program called SnapZ Pro that I have been using in a similar way.

Paolo Ciccone April 29th, 2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Hey Stephen. I jumped the gun with my previous post. I thought you meant that you captured the original movie with Camtasia (maybe you did) but I finally got at the end of the download and hear your comment at beginning of the video.

David Parks April 29th, 2006 03:00 PM

This a great Stephen. I don't think they even know about this 7.1 workflow over at the Avid Liquid Forum on the Avid Community site. BTW I checked over there and all of them say that 7.1 isn't shipping. Do you know a dealer who I could purchase 7.1 from?

FYI...I'm playing with the trial disc. And so far I like what I see. The interface is sort of based on these 5 or six sets, but I'm okay with that. An unbelievable amount of EFX presets. Too many maybe for an old dog like me. But I do like the background rendering, very cool. It looks like it uses m2v vs. m2t. How is that different??

Also I noticed you can downconvert to component, DV, etc. by changing the timeline. And clip propeties for scaling SD. Currently in Avid Xpress HD, the HDV 720/30 preset doesn't have a a 30i timeline switch, only DVCPro 720p.

Anyway I'm sold, Pretty powerful stuff under the hood for a $500 program.

Cheers

Stephen L. Noe April 29th, 2006 03:43 PM

7.1 was on display at NAB and soon will be available for download. You probably have 7.0 trial. The update will be free for download and once again will include all of the framerates ProHD offers (including 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p and 24p) for capture/edit/output.

Liquid will demux files it imports or captures. m2v (mpeg 2 video) is the video portion of the m2t. The other portions of the m2t are audio (L & R) and timecode.

The HD-100 is affordable and Liquid is affordable. Now that the workflow is available to the masses, there is no reason ANYONE can't cut a film with ProHD. The sky is open.

Paolo Ciccone April 29th, 2006 09:29 PM

Hey Stephen.

I recompressed the video because, at 183MB, can be a real drain on your bandwidth. If you want there is an H.264 version at http://www.paolociccone.com/clips/Fi...quid7-H264.mov. This file is ~42Mb.

If you want to grab it and post it on your site, otehrwise I'll leave it there for the next week.

Take care.

Stephen L. Noe April 30th, 2006 07:31 AM

Paolo,

You're great man. I wish I could get my arms around H.264 like you have. I can host the file with no problem. The big problem here on dvinfo.net is that you can not edit your post after a certain amount of time so I can't update the original post to reflect the new encode.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time.

Steve Mullen April 30th, 2006 07:47 AM

Stephen -- great tutorial! You showed it all in only a few minutes.

Mac folks need to understand that if you do cuts-only edit with Liquid, there is NO "conform" time. You can simply export to tape as you do DV.

FCP and Canopus (and likely Premiere and Premiere+Cineform) don't have Smart GOP splicing. So if you are not working with 24p, with Liquid there is no conforming except where FX have been placed. (Just wanted folks to know the "conform" you went through was only for the 23.98 to 24 conversion.)

Does the audio change pitch or is their constant pitch technology built in?

Stephen, you should do one more example that shows making a true 23.98/24 DVD from the Timeline. Both letterboxed and anamorphic.

Are you using the "old" or "new" interface? It looks like the "old" one. Perhaps, next time you can use the "new" GUI.

Looks like my HDV is not going to be done on a Mac. There are three good solutions for the PC. But, for Native HDV, Liquid looks like a winner.