DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   price 4 liquid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/72072-price-4-liquid.html)

John Vincent July 23rd, 2006 12:06 AM

price 4 liquid

ANy one know the current MSP for Liquid?

Do it need a video card?
thanks -
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

Jocelyn Deguise July 28th, 2006 03:10 PM

Price ?

Just google it...

Gary Bettan July 30th, 2006 07:25 AM

Liquid software alone is around $500. Liquid Pro w/ Breakout box is around $1000.

Avid has lots of cool upgrade programs if you own Stduio or Premeire.

For specific pricing you can check out http://www.videoguys.com/avidliquid.html

Gary

Gary Bettan July 30th, 2006 07:26 AM

Liquid software alone is around $500. Liquid Pro w/ Breakout box is around $1000.

Avid has lots of cool upgrade programs if you own Studio or Premeire.

Liquid does not require a capture card, the Pro hardware attaches via USB2 and gives you analog I/O in addition to FireWire.

Liquid takes advantage of GPU power. That's your graphic cards performance. For best results we recommend a 256 meg ATI card like the 1900.

For specific pricing you can check out http://www.videoguys.com/avidliquid.html

Gary

Stephen Knapp August 5th, 2006 07:03 PM

Gary,

I'm considering moving over to Liquid 7 from premiere Pro, and have a few questions. For $300 I can do the regular liquid upgrade from Studio 10, or for $480 I can upgrade to Liquid Pro from premiere. The difference seems to be the breakout box, which is a better box than the movieBox I got with the Pinnacle software ages ago.

Now my questions:
Is the Liquid pro breakout box really worth the extra money?

Will the Pinnacle software (that uses my Moviebox for analog input) be disabled by the installation of Liquid?

Can I still use my Pinnacle breakout box (Moviebox) with Liquid 7?

Does Liquid 7 Pro have more software features than regular Liquid 7?

And a really serious one: My video card is a Matrox Parhelia APVe, which gives me multi monitor support (three screens for now). It was recommended by Andrew Lock, and he was aware of the Avid product when he suggested it. This card has 128 Meg of memory. Am I going to have trouble using this card with Liquid 7, either edition?

Gary Bettan August 7th, 2006 08:47 AM

Stephen,

I thank you for your order today. I thought I would still post a reply to your last post for those with similar questions.

Is the Liquid pro breakout box really worth the extra money?
I think so. It's a bit more than just a breakout box. you get all the analog I/O. You'll also get real-time playback formt he timeline to a TV attached to it. last you get some serious audio I/O. You can drive you 5.1 surround speakers directly from the Bob.

Will the Pinnacle software (that uses my Moviebox for analog input) be disabled by the installation of Liquid? No. Liquid will be installed in it's own directory

Can I still use my Pinnacle breakout box (Moviebox) with Liquid 7? That depends. the Moviebox USB2 will work with Liquid. older moviebox models will not.

Does Liquid 7 Pro have more software features than regular Liquid 7? identical software. the only difference is the BOB

And a really serious one: My video card is a Matrox Parhelia APVe, which gives me multi monitor support this is a problem. Liquid leverages the 3D rendering engine of your graphics card. We call this GPU power. Parhelia is a cool 2D card w/ multiple heads, but the GPU power is not very good at all. for best results I recommend ATI Radeon cards. My favorite is the 1900 series. Note: For 1080i HDV editing you must have 256 megs of graphics card memory.

Liquid is a very cool program. it delivers an incredible value of editing & post production tools for the money. you are going to love it. Just give yourself a littel time to get familiar and comfortable with the interface. It will seem odd at first, but over time you'll realize it is quite intuitive.

Gary

Stephen Knapp August 7th, 2006 09:03 AM

Thanks for the assistance, Gary. Now that I have ordered the upgrade, I want to fix the video card too. There are two models of the Radeon x1900 card:

Radeon® X1900 XT 512MB PCI Express
and
Radeon x 1900 CrossFire PCI Express Card

Am I correct in assuming the model you would most recommend for editing in Liquid 7 is the XT rather than the Crossfire.

The XT requires a minimum 450 watt power supply, and apparently needs two sets of 6 pin connectors and a second PCI slot in addition to the PCI express x16 slot. My mobo has only one PCI express x16 slot, three PCI slots, and a PCI express x1 slot. Can I use this card with my mobo? I already know I will have to beef up the power supply, but I don't want to jump into a money pit.

The card that's presently installed is a Radeon x300SE in the x16 slot. Will this let me start getting used to Liquid 7 until I can do the full video upgrade?

Anybody want to buy a Matrox Parhelia APVe that's never been out of the box?

George Ellis August 8th, 2006 03:59 AM

Stephen,

The 300SE will be able to edit until you are set with the X1900. I can edit SD on my HP laptop with the mobile X300 chipset. When you put in the new card, you will see a difference in how many timelines it can playback in realtime without rendering and when rendering GPU effects in the background.

Stephen Knapp August 8th, 2006 08:02 AM

Thank you, George. You don't offhand know whether the card of choice for video editing with the x1900 512Mb series is the XT or the Crossfire, do you?

George Ellis August 8th, 2006 11:28 AM

The XT will be fine. The Crossfire is built to use with a Crossfire motherboard (2 PCIe slots) so that 2 video cards can be used in tandem. Getting one to run solely is not necessary. I don't think it will have issues, but if it costs more, it does not get you anything unless it has a higher clockspeed (I think it is the same as the XT as they originally did not have a XTX Crossfire). I have not seen anyone using a Crossfire combo yet to get a real benchmark. Gary has been talking about maxing some machines out to test out top performance, but I am not sure where he is yet. Gary has some Do It Yourself notes too at videoguys.

The 1900 also gives you AVIVO. ATI has an encoder/decoder set built for it that uses the GPU for some processes. It can be up to 5x faster than some standard encoders.

Edit - Oh, and you can do some HD work on the 300. You will hate the performance though. I got less than 5fps on my old 9600XT card with 1080i. Full rendered, I would drop some frames with multiple lines of video.