DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Installed latest Avid codecs and crashed a Mac! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/78006-installed-latest-avid-codecs-crashed-mac.html)

Tim Dashwood October 22nd, 2006 04:03 PM

Installed latest Avid codecs and crashed a Mac!

Even though I don't own an Avid anymore, I constantly work with post houses that do. I'm currently outputting some HD material from my main FCP system for import into a Avid DS|HD so wanted to use the native avid codecs.
I've had the old Avid Meridian codecs installed on this system for years, but they won't allow resolutions other than 720x486.

SO, I downloaded and installed the latest version of the Avid Codecs LE 1.20
http://www.avid.com/onlineSupport/su...contentID=7952

I then restarted the computer and my login window suddenly turned into a shell with white letters on a black background.
I repeatedly see the error:

/Library/Frameworks/Compressor.framework/Resources/CompressorTranscoderX.bundle/Contents/MacOS/compressord: kCGErrorRangeCheck : On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.

If I press the RETURN key a couple of times, I get the login and password prompts, but they are quickly filled with the error message again. Three presses of the RETURN key and the screen will go blue again,the login window will appear for one second, and then back to the same shell.

I have manually restarted, zapped the PRAM, as well as started from the install CD and repaired permissions with DiskUtility.
None of that seemed to work.

I now think that the solution will be to remove the CompressorTranscoderX.bundle using the terminal window on the Tiger install disk, but I really don't know my way around UNIX commands.

Can someone tell me how to do this? I believe my root directory/hard drive is named "G4.local"

thanks,
Tim

Greg Boston October 22nd, 2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Even though I don't own an Avid anymore, I constantly work with post houses that do. I'm currently outputting some HD material from my main FCP system for import into a Avid DS|HD so wanted to use the native avid codecs.
I've had the old Avid Meridian codecs installed on this system for years, but they won't allow resolutions other than 720x486.

SO, I downloaded and installed the latest version of the Avid Codecs LE 1.20
http://www.avid.com/onlineSupport/su...contentID=7952

I then restarted the computer and my login window suddenly turned into a shell with white letters on a black background.
I repeatedly see the error:

/Library/Frameworks/Compressor.framework/Resources/CompressorTranscoderX.bundle/Contents/MacOS/compressord: kCGErrorRangeCheck : On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.

If I press the RETURN key a couple of times, I get the login and password prompts, but they are quickly filled with the error message again. Three presses of the RETURN key and the screen will go blue again,the login window will appear for one second, and then back to the same shell.

I have manually restarted, zapped the PRAM, as well as started from the install CD and repaired permissions with DiskUtility.
None of that seemed to work.

I now think that the solution will be to remove the CompressorTranscoderX.bundle using the terminal window on the Tiger install disk, but I really don't know my way around UNIX commands.

Can someone tell me how to do this? I believe my root directory/hard drive is named "G4.local"

thanks,
Tim

This issue started cropping up when folks who already had the newer Avid codecs updated to FCP 5.1.2, although it didn't take down the whole system...just FCP wouldn't launch. If you can boot up from the install disk, go into your Quicktime Library and drag the Avid codecs to the trash.

I still have the older Avid codecs so I didn't have any problems with the 5.1.2 update for FCP.

-gb-

Tim Dashwood October 22nd, 2006 06:26 PM

So with the help of a UNIX tutorial I was able to use the terminal window on the Tiger install disk and remove the offending file.

I rebooted and the good news is that there is no more endless error loop from that file.

HOWEVER, I now have a new error message, but at least it doesn't repeat.

mDNSResponder: ERROR: Only name server claiming responsibility for "Tim Dashwood G4" is "."!
mDNSResponder: HostnameCallback: Error -65538 for registration of Tim Dashwood G4.

Any thoughts? I'm really lost now.

Nate Weaver October 22nd, 2006 06:41 PM

I wouldn't remove a Compressor framework file, 'cause then Compressor won't work.

The Avid codecs plain just don't jive with the new FCP, that's about it.

I'd remove the Avid codecs, and then reinstall Compressor at this point.

Tim Dashwood October 22nd, 2006 07:25 PM

Success!

I managed to delete all of the quicktime components in root/Library/Quicktime that started with "Avid" by using "rm /Library/Quicktime/Avid*" or "rmdir /Library/Quicktime/Avid*" some components were considered to be folders.

I then typed "exit" and it took me out of the shell and to the login screen!

I just re-installed Compressor and will now run the update. I wish there was a way to just download the Avid QT components without the installer. That's how the Meridian components always worked. It is beyond me why Avid has to go and fiddle with a compressor framework?

The positive aspect of this experience is that I'm now a bit more confident navigating the back alleys of Mac OS X via a UNIX shell!
Of course, that is the type of skill I figured I would never have to know with OS X.
It brought back memories of working on the old Unisys ICON computers in high school almost 20 years ago!

Nate Weaver October 22nd, 2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
It is beyond me why Avid has to go and fiddle with a compressor framework?

What I think is going on is that the QT file reader component of Compressor that is always running in the background is choking on the Avid codecs as it goes through them on boot. It's not that Avid is messing with Compressor, just the same problem FCP has with the codecs is killing Compressor.

Tim Dashwood October 23rd, 2006 01:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
What I think is going on is that the QT file reader component of Compressor that is always running in the background is choking on the Avid codecs as it goes through them on boot. It's not that Avid is messing with Compressor, just the same problem FCP has with the codecs is killing Compressor.

I think you are right Nate. I opened the installer package and it looks like all it does is install the Avid quicktime components in the root library.
I think it is important to move these components out of the root Library and put them into the User Library. That way they won't cause any conflict during startup.

I've since done some trial and error testing and it appears the only component that causes a conflict during startup is AvidAVUICodec.component.

The rest work just fine with compressor and seem to add support for:
Avid 1:1x (AvidAV1xCodec.component)
Avid D100 (AvidAVd1Codec.component)
Avid DNxHD (AvidAVdnCodec.component)
Avid DV (AvidAVdvCodec.component)
Avid Packed (AvidAVpkCodec.component)
Avid Meridian (AvidAVDJCodec.component)

The original AvidAVUICodec.component was part of the Meridian codecs paired with AvidAVDJCodec.component for ABVB systems, but it doesn't seem to be required anymore. Very odd.

Now, what works with FCP 5.1.2????

Everything except Avid D100 codec (AvidAVd1Codec.component) and the AvidAVUICodec.component.

So, if want to use Avid codecs with FCP 5.1.2, just install them, trash AvidAVd1Codec.component and AvidAVUICodec.component, then move the remaining components from Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime to Users/User name/Library/Quicktime.