DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   What r best results for DVD and SP Betacam tape, starting with HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/80314-what-r-best-results-dvd-sp-betacam-tape-starting-hd.html)

Peter Kraft November 24th, 2006 05:00 PM

What r best results for DVD and SP Betacam tape, starting with HD?

Hi there,
I am trying to shoot a shortfilm with my JVC GY-HD101E and the end product needs to be a DVD (not blueray) and a SP Betacam Tape. Is it at all possible to maintain HD with respect to my SP Betacam end format? I didn't think so as I assume that both of them (DVD and Betacam) are SD. I am using Premiere Pro 2.0 (with cineform) and Liquid 6.0 as my editing suites.
As I would like to achieve a good film look I wanted to shoot in 24p/25p, but there may be some problems with respect to my final output format.
Obviously I am just learning here while reading through the great forum, meaning that I am not an expert (yet :-) and would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jack Walker November 24th, 2006 05:09 PM

If you are using Liquid 6.0 and have not applied the 6.1 SP2 patch, you should:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...mode=documents

Liquid 6.0 has lots of problems that are fixed in with the Liquid 6.1 SP2 patch.

Peter Kraft November 24th, 2006 05:14 PM

liquid 6.1 Patch applied

Sorry Jack, my fault for not being accurate enough, yes I have the suggested patch applied.

thanks

Werner Wesp November 27th, 2006 04:25 AM

The most important thing when downconverting to SD (DVD or betaSP), while retaining the maximum of that HD look, is to keep the output progressive. For DVD that's no problem, I'm not so sure about BetaSP.

If you keep the final SD compression format progressive, it will be a lot sharper then interlaced and you won't lose any motion, because it all originated in progressive HD...

Stephan Ahonen November 27th, 2006 06:51 AM

You can output progressive to BetaSP exactly the same way that you do to a DVD.

Peter Kraft November 27th, 2006 06:53 AM

Beta SP transfer

Thanks Werner,
as you said, no problems on the DVD side of things, don't know about the SP Beta matter. As I understand, it is (in contrast to digi Beta) analog. Does that mean I have to transfer my timeline live through my breakout box (component?) onto the Beta SP deck? Let me know where I am going wrong here please.

thanks a lot

Peter

Peter Kraft November 27th, 2006 06:55 AM

SP problem seems solved

thanks Stephan,
this was just the info I needed. I guess the way of transfer I can find out from the people I will hire it from.
thanks again

Cheers

Peter

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2006 06:59 AM

Moved from JVC Pro HD forum to Avid Editing Family.

Werner Wesp November 27th, 2006 07:04 AM

You don't go wrong. Since it is analog you don't have any other option then to bring it out with your breakout-box. I'd prefer the DVD solution because it lets you control the encoding better (keep it progressive etc).

Stephan says BetaSP can record progressive as well, but that means you'll have to make a certain setting on your recording deck I suppose.

Of course you can feed a progressive signal to your BetaSP-deck, but since that deck will normally record it interlaced, you'll lose some of the extra sharpness and crispness due to the averiging over adjescent lines when recording interlaced. I really have very limited experience with BetaSP, so perhaps Stephan can help us out here?

Anyhow, even if there is no option to tell BetaSP to record progressive, your recording will be fine, just a little softer then when it would have been recorded in a progressive format with the same resolution. I feel like authoring a progressive DVD is THE way to really showcase your original recording is in HD, since the progressive rate really brings out detail you've never seen in interlaced SD... If you really must deliver on BetaSP and there would be no possibility to record it progressive, you'll certainly miss that extra spark in your images...

Peter Kraft November 27th, 2006 07:15 AM

Thanks Werner,
you guessed it right, shortfilm fest, no choice but have to submit on DVD (good) and SP Beta (bad), but maybe the softness might not be too hard on it as I am shooting HD25 trying to get a certain film look. I am just in the process to get the right DVD encoder to maintain quality as I am not so happy with the liquid encoder. A mate of mine has the Cinemacraft SP2 encoder, which I will test tomorrow (or your evening). If you have some thoughts on that - be my guest.

Thanks again for your input and greetings from a warm night down under