DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Capture 720p HDV Xpress ProHd 5.6.1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/83553-capture-720p-hdv-xpress-prohd-5-6-1-a.html)

Panos Bournias January 10th, 2007 09:04 AM

Capture 720p HDV Xpress ProHd 5.6.1

Up to now I could capture 62min of HDV without interuption from the
BR HD 50. I liked this possibility as I was free to do other things while the capture was going on. Since we upgraded to 5.6.1 we capture 14min and then the video on the capture monitor starts playing badly, but the capture goes on. The video after 14 min is full of corrupted frames and +- unusable.
What could be the issue? Anybody has experienced the same problem. Now I reseted my capture to 14min and things go well but I have to be there every 14 min. rew the footage a bit and start again.
I would appreciate any answer to this problem.
Panos

David Parks January 11th, 2007 05:03 PM

How is your capture drive formatted, FAT 32 or NTFS? If you've formatted your drive on FAT 32 and Windows XP there is a 2 Giga-byte file limit. So, it may be you're cutting out on capture right at 14 min. for that reason.

Panos Bournias January 12th, 2007 05:22 AM

re-capture 720p

My drives are formated NTFS and I have been capturing since my previous project 62min without a problem. I updated the spooler, the new update 1.01 (or something), specially for the new version of FCP and since then I have this 14min limitation. So I think that the upgrade is unfriendly for Avid... maybe? Someone else has the same experience?

Richard Alvarez January 12th, 2007 09:02 AM

What platform are you running on? I assume MAC if you have FCP installed as well?

I run on PC but you'll get a quicker response on the avid MAC forum. www.avid.com

Panos Bournias January 13th, 2007 10:48 PM

Re-capturing 720p

No, I use a HP xw 8200. My FCP is on another machine. I trashed the settings files yesterday and I will try later to finish the capture. I have 10hrs of footage still and if I have to stop and re-start every 14min I will be in trouble with my wife...

Jiri Bakala January 14th, 2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panos Bournias
No, I use a HP xw 8200. My FCP is on another machine. I trashed the settings files yesterday and I will try later to finish the capture. I have 10hrs of footage still and if I have to stop and re-start every 14min I will be in trouble with my wife...

Hey Panos,

I am using a Mac and I have always been experiencing the same problem. It seems like JVC and Avid really don't like each other. Or Avid simply doesn't care to deal with it right now. There are many very unhappy users out there (many switching to FCP).

Panos Bournias January 14th, 2007 11:40 PM

re-capture 720p

Unfortunately the problem persists and I get many errors on playback now, corrupted frame warnings, from captured footage that seemed to come clean. I will try my QT, I might have installed 7.1.3, by mistake, that creates problems with Avid.
If not this I will re-install Avid.
FCP has this problem with the subclips and the missing footage that makes me unconfortable.
Jiri if I capture with DVHSCap and transcode with MPEG Streamclip what will be the downsides?
I presume I will loose in quality. What about TC?
So guys I am again in trouble.
With the 5.2.x everything was finally controlable and worked.
As an advise...
Avid and ProHD users: Avoid the Avid updates and the new JVC firmware. Stay with the older versions and wait for the 6.x version of Avid that is about to come.
The big guys are playing with our patience. This confusion is going too far,
I think.
I don't dare to buy the new JVC250 even though I like it a lot. I am afraid that I might end up waiting for more upgrates to capture the footage and edit.
Looking towards HDCam now, going mainstream is safer sometimes...
Panos

Panos Bournias January 16th, 2007 09:52 PM

anybody else?

Is there anybody else that has the same problems? We are in the middle of a long project and looks very difficult to finish. I wonder if we would go back to 5.2x. If so what do we have to change? QT? (Currently using 7.1) Nvidia driver? I have post these questions in the Avid forum but sometimes DVinfo is more responsive. Also would be a problem the updates to the spooler with the old 5.2 version of Xpress Pro.
We spend day and night figuring workarounds in order to finish the project. Getting every 10 min the error codec 36.
Experts, please try to answer my humble questions.
Thanks
Panos