DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Avid Xpress Users? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/88285-avid-xpress-users.html)

Geoff Dills March 19th, 2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 643159)
The story I heard was that MOS was "Mit out sound" from an old German director's mispronunciation of "With".

Makes a good story, anyway...

he didn't mispronounce, the word "mit" is "with" in English.

Jaadgy Akanni March 19th, 2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Dills (Post 644391)

Thank you for clarifying that. I was gonna but didn't even bother. BTW, a mispronunciation of the word "with" by a teuton would be "Vit"... But seriously speaking, I sure hope Avid is indeed working on this problem. I agree with him who said that Avid has a superior interface and I tremble to think of changing to a different NLE.

Vito DeFilippo March 19th, 2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Dills (Post 644391)

True, but one can imagine that he was trying to say "with", not intentionally using a German word in the sentence.

Tim J. Matteson January 19th, 2008 10:49 PM

did 5.7 deliver on 720p?

I'm in a bit of a pinch. I'm hearing not-so-good reports (including this thread) about Avid Xpress Pro not liking 720p. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that I need to make a decision on purchasing the JVC GY-HD200 within the next 36 hours (it's complicated). I called Avid support and, while the HD200 does not appear on their list of approved devices, the tech did say that Xpress Pro will accept 720p/30. I also read on another forum that this cannot be accomplished through the Mojo -- you need to go directly to the host firewire port.

Can anyone shed some light on my conundrum?

tim

Peter Moretti January 20th, 2008 12:17 AM

Tim,

Perhaps this will help you: http://www.avid.com/content/8927/SUP...20PRODUCTS.pdf

I believe the answer is yes for 720p/30 and I believe Mojo only works with SD. But please don't take my word for it. I'm still new to this world.

I would strongly suggest starting a thread on the Avid forum to get a definitive answer. (Although I'm sure you can a correct answer here as well, it just sounds like time is of the essence.)

Larry Price January 20th, 2008 04:57 AM

The standard Mojo will only accept and process SD. The Mojo SDI, however, will accept HDV through the DV connector, or so the documentation that came with mine says. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, as I'm still upgrading machines in my office. As for 720p questions, I'm sorry, I can't help you there. I only have a 1080i camera at the moment.

Carl Hicks January 20th, 2008 06:34 PM

Avid Work-Arounds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim J. Matteson (Post 811109)
I'm in a bit of a pinch. I'm hearing not-so-good reports (including this thread) about Avid Xpress Pro not liking 720p. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that I need to make a decision on purchasing the JVC GY-HD200 within the next 36 hours (it's complicated). I called Avid support and, while the HD200 does not appear on their list of approved devices, the tech did say that Xpress Pro will accept 720p/30. I also read on another forum that this cannot be accomplished through the Mojo -- you need to go directly to the host firewire port.

Can anyone shed some light on my conundrum?

tim

Tim,

My understanding is that Avid Xpress supports HDV1 (progressive HDV) at 30 frames per second, over firewire. To use all frame rates that HDV1 can produce with the Avid products, there are several work-arounds. Here are three that I know of:

1. Shoot on the JVC DR-HD100 hard drive. This way, no capture from tape is required. It's simply a file import. (You can still shoot tape as well, and have two copies of the footage.) Here's more info: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101710

2. Use a BR-HD50U JVC HDV deck with a Convergent Design MI Connect box. This combo delivers an uncompressed HD signal, that you can connect to the Avid. (This will only work if your Avid has uncompressed HD inputs. This may or may not be an option on your Avid.) Here's info on these products:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&feature_id=02

http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_...DConnectMI.htm

3. Use another NLE program for capture of the footage, and then import the footage into Avid Xpress. For example, Canopus (Grass Valley) Edius fully supports capture of JVC's HDV1 formats, in all frame rates. You can used Edius to capture, and then import those files into Avid Xpress Pro.

These are three work-arounds that I know of, and there's probably more.

Naturally, we hope that Avid will eventually have full native HDV1 support over firewire, as all of their major competitiors now have it.

Regards,

Tim J. Matteson January 20th, 2008 09:10 PM

Xpress Pro - GY-HD200 conundrum

Carl,

Thanks for the timely reply. I was getting nervous. A couple of follow-ups for you:

1. You said "to use all of the frame rates". Does that mean there are some rates I'll be able to use without employing workarounds?

2. I was considering the promotional package which would give me the 100G drive along with the HD200. Is there a dub option on the camera that will allow me to transfer tape footage to the firestore? (and then capture to Xpress). I'll be shooting in New Zealand for a week and I'm sure the drive would fill up long before I would be ready to stop shooting. By the way, how fast is the turnaround time on receiving those promo items?

btw, I'll be looking at a new deck soon, probably in the new fiscal year. I recently discovered that Avid took my BR3000 off the approved device list after I purchased the deck and made the decision to go with Avid Studio. Timing is everything, I guess.

tim

Carl Hicks January 20th, 2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim J. Matteson (Post 811517)
Carl,

Thanks for the timely reply. I was getting nervous. A couple of follow-ups for you:

1. You said "to use all of the frame rates". Does that mean there are some rates I'll be able to use without employing workarounds?

2. I was considering the promotional package which would give me the 100G drive along with the HD200. Is there a dub option on the camera that will allow me to transfer tape footage to the firestore? (and then capture to Xpress). I'll be shooting in New Zealand for a week and I'm sure the drive would fill up long before I would be ready to stop shooting. By the way, how fast is the turnaround time on receiving those promo items?

btw, I'll be looking at a new deck soon, probably in the new fiscal year. I recently discovered that Avid took my BR3000 off the approved device list after I purchased the deck and made the decision to go with Avid Studio. Timing is everything, I guess.

tim

Hi Tim,

As stated in my previous post, my understanding is that 720/30p is supported over firewire in Avid Xpress Pro. Perhaps someone on the forum can confirm this.

Your timing is good, as we are currently offering a free DRHD100GB60 with the purchase of the GY-HD200 camera. Yes, you can dub from tape to HDD.

Turn-around time is generally 2 to 4 weeks on promotional items, as long as there is good stock, and you follow the directions exactly on the claim form. I see a lot of claim forms that are delayed because instructions are not followed. If you are on a tight time line, then work with your local dealer and local JVC rep to expedite your claim.

Regards,

David Parks January 21st, 2008 09:40 AM

Tim,

There is a fourth firewire workflow: Download a free utility called CapDVHS. This is an m2t capture tool. It looks very stripped down but works fine. Capture m2t's. Then download a utility called MpegStreamclip. This is also a free utility except if you don't have Quicktime Pro, you will have to download a MPEG 2 component from Apple $25. Mpegstreamclip will point this out i think. (it's been a while). Anyway, MpegStreamclip will allow you to convert your m2t clips to any DnxHd, with a pulldown if need be. So both 24p and 30p will work in this case. This will allow you to import into any Avid project preset. But be prepared for a lot of time intensive crunching, depending on your computer, it can take around 10 minutes for every 30 seconds of raw footage.

I can confirm that Avid works fine with 720/30p over firewire with capture into Xpress and it looks great. It does not capture 720/24p. I have Avid Liquid, if I have to shoot 24p. Liquid works pretty well. But, over time I've grown to like the higher temporal resolution and motion of 30p so I haven't shot as much over the last 8 months in 24p. I don't know if it is just my own acceptance that Avid doesn't like 24p or 24f but I do think for my clients, 30p works great.

As a side note, I like my JVC 100, it makes very nice pictures and JVC service is good. I've had some issues in the past, all were resolved, with the great help of Carl, but i'm pretty sure that there all fixed in newer models. Carl Hicks is an oustanding Sales Support, nice guy, and really makes sure any issues are resolved if any.

Not to highjack the thread but, Carl, hope to see you at the IAV show here in Houston next week. I didn't know about the new 200 promotion. Looks like a steal with the FTE drive and battery promotion rolled into one. Was looking at Z7, but costs way too much for 960x1080, and XDCam not ready for solod state quite yet. I tought i was until I keep getting these video by the pound shoots. But now I'm back to 200. Need to eyeball 60p again.

Hope to see you next week,

and I hope this helps, gotta shoot this morning.

Cheers, David

Carl Hicks January 21st, 2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Parks (Post 811721)
Tim,

There is a fourth firewire workflow: Download a free utility called CapDVHS. This is an m2t capture tool. It looks very stripped down but works fine. Capture m2t's. Then download a utility called MpegStreamclip. This is also a free utility except if you don't have Quicktime Pro, you will have to download a MPEG 2 component from Apple $25. Mpegstreamclip will point this out i think. (it's been a while). Anyway, MpegStreamclip will allow you to convert your m2t clips to any DnxHd, with a pulldown if need be. So both 24p and 30p will work in this case. This will allow you to import into any Avid project preset. But be prepared for a lot of time intensive crunching, depending on your computer, it can take around 10 minutes for every 30 seconds of raw footage.

I can confirm that Avid works fine with 720/30p over firewire with capture into Xpress and it looks great. It does not capture 720/24p. I have Avid Liquid, if I have to shoot 24p. Liquid works pretty well. But, over time I've grown to like the higher temporal resolution and motion of 30p so I haven't shot as much over the last 8 months in 24p. I don't know if it is just my own acceptance that Avid doesn't like 24p or 24f but I do think for my clients, 30p works great.

As a side note, I like my JVC 100, it makes very nice pictures and JVC service is good. I've had some issues in the past, all were resolved, with the great help of Carl, but i'm pretty sure that there all fixed in newer models. Carl Hicks is an oustanding Sales Support, nice guy, and really makes sure any issues are resolved if any.

Not to highjack the thread but, Carl, hope to see you at the IAV show here in Houston next week. I didn't know about the new 200 promotion. Looks like a steal with the FTE drive and battery promotion rolled into one. Was looking at Z7, but costs way too much for 960x1080, and XDCam not ready for solod state quite yet. I tought i was until I keep getting these video by the pound shoots. But now I'm back to 200. Need to eyeball 60p again.

Hope to see you next week,

and I hope this helps, gotta shoot this morning.

Cheers, David

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the fourth idea. I knew about this one too, but I usually don't mention it, due to the large amount of time it takes, as you mentioned.

On the IAV show - sorry, no I won't be there. I have business up in Michigan this week. BTW, I'm no longer the District Sales Manager for the local area. This is now handled by Scott Burch, who you will meet this week at the show.

The promos on the HD200 are indeed fantastic.

Regards,

Tim J. Matteson January 21st, 2008 01:07 PM

Thank You!

Dave & Carl,

Thanks so much for your insight. I feel much more at ease as I prepare to place my order. I'm looking forward to some great New Zealand footage in 720p next week... Thanks again. BTW, does either of you use the Laird Telemedia CapDV hard disk recorder? Just wondered if that would also be a viable dub option.

tim

Richard Alvarez January 21st, 2008 01:32 PM

For what its worth over on the Avid forum Marriane has confirmed that Avid is planning 720 25p for the next release, for our friends in 25p land.