Mojo and DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Mojo and DVDs

I have been reading up on the pros and cons of using Mojo. One of the
major stated advantages is the following:

Uncompressed video offers 4:2:2 color sampling instead of DV's 4:1:1 which means that chroma-keying is easier. Also, added graphics, text, and animation will not have edge problems and will end up much cleaner with uncompressed video, without needing careful filtering and preprocessing.

So this means I can import from After Effects in uncompressed format, any effects and text. However, if my final output is an mpeg file for a DVD, is there any advantage in working with the uncompressed video in Xpress Pro?? i.e., it
is still going to get compressed at output time, yes?

Jet
Jerrold Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well whatever your quality is on your timeline, is compressed as Mpeg2 for DVD... just like Films shot on, well Film... are ultimately compressed to Mpeg2. But the better the image you start with, the better it looks after compression. (And of course, the big boys use hardware as well as software compression for superior codec support)

But yes, having the Mojo will help with graphics and it will show up as better looking DVD's.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
Well whatever your quality is on your timeline, is compressed as Mpeg2 for DVD... just like Films shot on, well Film... are ultimately compressed to Mpeg2. But the better the image you start with, the better it looks after compression. (And of course, the big boys use hardware as well as software compression for superior codec support)

But yes, having the Mojo will help with graphics and it will show up as better looking DVD's.

Thanks for the info Richard. I was not sure if having a higher quality image in Timeline would make a difference----but you have cleared that up.

So that would work for titles. Evidently then the quality for effects would be
of higher quality if they are rendered 1:1? I am using this info as a means to
justify the expense of buying Mojo, as I do not feel that I need it just for
the real time monitoring advantage, nor for inputing of component video--I do
Jerrold Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family