what is a good work flow for 720p output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old July 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what is a good work flow for 720p output

shooting hdv right now its avid -> DNXHD 220 ->sorenson squeeze 720p wmv hi

should i be using a lower dnXhd cuz its hella huge with space kinda crazy but looks amazing. are there smaller ones with quality like 220?
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Jack,

The baseline resolution for HDV that I've edited (smart splicing) is DNXHD 110 or 110x. That is basically a project at 720/30 HDV. The best quality differences (especially gaining some headroom for color correction) is 8bit vs. 10bit. The "x" resolutions are 10bit. But there's not super noticeable differences to me above DNXHD 145. What I like about DNXHD 110 is that I can edit on a notebook with a FW 400 drive. That flexibility is beginning to be worth more to my clients than the barely noticeable gain in quality. I'm using 110 for corporate projects, but I'll go higher for broadcast. But for 720p windows media, 110 or 110x should be more than fine.

Hope that helps.

ps. Smart splicing only recompresses at transitions which helps a lot for HDV editing. Downside is that it only supports 720/30, no 24p support.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family