Professional Indemnity Insurance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Australian Video Producers Association > AVPA General Information

AVPA General Information
The official online community for AVPA members!

Old June 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Professional Indemnity Insurance

As the owner of a video, multimedia production company I increasingly feel the need for professional indemnity insurance both for myself and my sub contractors who are in the same situation... namely we don't have a tertiary qualification because we have been in the business since the days before tertiary became God!

We have experience and skills but that's not enough when it comes to the insurance companies. They then require us to fill in reams of paperwork about past projects... and the outcomes... especially letters from past clients. This of course raises a red flag for clients that we don't need.

I have recently been made aware of a sort of labour hire company 'freelance' (Contractor) that offers this but for a very substantial fee taken from the 'employee/sub contractor' and from the 'employer/prime contractor' us.

Can anyone out there shed any light on other options or any blinding flash of the obvious for us poor uneducated people.
Neil Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #2
New Boot

I think you might benefit hugely from doing the Tertiary Course, even part time. Having experience would put you on top of the class and you'd be able to actually use what you pick up practically straight away.

Tertiary qualification at the end solves your insurance dilemma + knowledge acquired improves what you already do.
Hugh Buttsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #3
AVPA

Hi Neil,

you will find that most institutions offer what is called an RPL - Recognition for Prior Learning. You can easily excel and gain credits for many portions of a course - you would have to speak to the school off course, but it would be worthy of an enquiry.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Australian Video Producers Association > AVPA General Information