DSLR Cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Australian Video Producers Association > AVPA General Information
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVPA General Information
The official online community for AVPA members!

Old July 19th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Tourist

DSLR Cameras

Hi All,
I am considering switching to DSLR and getting the Canon 5D, but would like to what sort of lens I should be using, is it mov format that it records in? is this compatible with edius? what other accessories should i be using with it?
Thanks
Samir Pirzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Sam,

Good on you for considering the switch. Be aware that it's not something that you should expect to just pick up straight away. It will take some practice to get used to the camera and learn how to get the best out of it and its limitations.

I would say that the most versatile lens to start with would be the 24-70mm 2.8 with macro.

From there, the list of lenses is endless - and it really depends on what sort of shots are important to your style.

In general terms, I would suggest a 70-200mm f4 (you could get the 2.8, but I don't think its worth the price difference). Abraham suggested a 50mm 1.2 as an essential part of the kit too.

If you have an up-to-date, powerful computer - then Edius will run the raw mov files natively. You will need Edius 5.5 or later. You will otherwise need to convert to canopus HQ - which I do with Procoder, but you can do it within Edius (except if you do this, you can't continue editing while converting).

Dave.
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Dave,

We really appreciate your help!!!
Samir Pirzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Don't forget that canon isn't the only DSLR - there are a few of us using the Panasonic GH1 (no time limit, continous autofocus during record) - it's worth a look
Old August 14th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #5
New Boot

Also keep in mind that you will need to keep a few bucks aside for other essential gear, support, sound ect. My pick of the lenses for versatility would be the 24-105 f4L IS. The IS is a great help for handheld shooting and although a lot of stills photographers will tell you this lens is not that great I find it perfect for video with a decent range on it.

If you go to a 70-200 I would go the 2.8 and IS, although it is the most expensive 70-200 Canon have with it being so big and heavy the IS is a great advantage to have.

Adam.
Adam Dodd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Australian Video Producers Association > AVPA General Information