The Simpsons Movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 29th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #1
Inner Circle

The Simpsons Movie

Opinions about the film?

I went yesterday with a fine digital projection. They played the original version in Belgium on 2 screens, both digital and 35mm, both jam packed at 10PM. They also played a dubbed version here in Belgium, don't know if that has much succes.

The film itself was very amusing, a bit more 'grand' than a normal episode, and the tension and fun-factor kept very high during the 90 minutes, something I was a bit afraid for, but they managed it well.

But the main thing for recommending the movie: for once in your life you can see this characters in 2.35 on a very big screen in a dark big theatre full of people laughing, it's a really amazing experience if you are used to seeing them on your little television screen.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Being a huge Simpsons fan and having watched the Simpsons since they were invented and not ever having missed a single episode I may say that even though it's not as funny as the best Simpsons episodes, it's still funnier than most comedies on theaters right now. I would rate it like as a large pretty funny Simpsons episode.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Trustee

I took my 10-year old today. I'm an old fan and haven't watched the TV show for years. My wife finds it to be idiotic, low-brow humor (yeah, so...). We've had many classic debates on the merits of the Simpsons over the years. My son has only seen a few episodes, but we absolutely loved it. Seeing it in widescreen was great. In typical Simpsons fashion, there are so many little inside jokes that you need to watch a few times. I could have stayed in the theater and watched it again. So it will likely do really well with fans and repeat viewings. The DVD will be a huge seller.
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #4
New Boot

I greatly enjoyed the movie. I felt that for once a movie that came from something else be it book, TV, videogame, etc. didnt screw it up. They made it a more massive story, but didnt go overboard with special guest stars or huge budget blowing effects or things that generally detract from something that is already tried and true. They stuck to what they do best. The movie was full of laughs. It also had a few emotion moments that dont happen very often of the show. I do want to see it again becuase the backgrounds are filled with hidden jokes and fun just like the show on TV.
Dana Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
...having watched the Simpsons since they were invented...
Do you mean the original Simpsons shorts from the Tracey Ullman show back in the late '80's, Rafael? I have a couple of those recorded off the air from their original broadcast, somewhere in a box in a closet around here on VHS that I haven't looked at in about ten years or so. One of them is "Family Therapy," which wasn't the first short by a long shot but it's the one I remember most.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Major Player

I liked the movie a lot. I personally think that it was on par with the best TV episodes that I've seen, and they did well in sustaining it for the full duration, which actually surprised me.

"Low-brow" humor? It does have that, but it also has the smartest humor on broadcast TV, IMHO.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gribble View Post
"Low-brow" humor? It does have that, but it also has the smartest humor on broadcast TV, IMHO.
Barry, I completely agree. That's what my wife and I have debated about many, many times. I finally gave up and became a closet Simpsons fan. Now I'm sure the movie will re-spark the debate, because my 10-year old loved the movie and now wants to watch all the old episodes.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I thought it was terrible. Simpsons have jumped the shark. Family Guy is way more funny.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
I thought it was terrible. Simpsons have jumped the shark. Family Guy is way more funny.
I agree that Family Guy is more funny, but I dont think Simpsons have neccessarily jumped the shark. They are still funny. Family Guy just came in and brought a new humor.

That being said "Simpsons" movie worked way better than the "Family Guy" movie did. Dont get me wrong I liked the "Family Guy" movie, but the "Simpsons" one was a better movie.
Dana Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Major Player

I haven't seen the movie. I stopped watching the Simpsons TV show a few years ago, but caught and episode last night that was great. My niece and parents-in-law went to the movie and they loved it.

I was a fan of the Simpsons since they were on Tracy Ullman show back in the day (I was a huge fan of her show). I agree with Chris, "Family Therapy" is definitely one of the great episodes from back then -if it's the one i'm thinking of.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Ok, maybe they have not jumped the shark. But they are becoming stale or something. I used to really be into the Simpsons. But I can't get into them like I used to.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #12
Major Player

They jumped the shark somewhere in between 1996 and 1998. Although I have to admit, I still enjoy watching the new episodes as well. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to checking out the movie.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #13
Major Player

I don't think they jumped the shark at all... I think the current episodes that I've seen are every bit as good as the old ones. I think that they aren't wildly better, and they aren't wildly different, so you may lose interest in them... but I really don't think that the material is worse.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark