What cameras for survivorman? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

What cameras for survivorman?

I watched it for the first time last night. Seems like a great low budget and fun concept. I'm especially interested in how he shoots some of his night scenes. Anybody know?
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I read something in DV Magazine that he uses a Z1 and then a handheld Sony, not sure if it was the HC3 or not. He goes through cameras pretty quickly though...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've wanted to know the same thing for a while now since i've been a fan for months. Friggin love that show.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Think I spied a z1 on the tripod...

And prolly an HC3 - one of the Sony handycams with nightshot, since they use that a LOT. I'd guess he'll be shooting HC5 or HC7, or maybe even one of the HDD or memory stick Sonys... the HDD or MS Duo should be more durable in harsh condiditons I'd think...

I watched this the other night after seeing another post here - mentioned they thought the small handycam looked better than the z1... I'd tend to agree! Show really hooks you in though!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Got this from DV.com

"Standard equipment now includes two Sony HVR-Z1Us, which handle the bulk of the footage, as well as a single Sony HDR-HC3. “We wanted to up the ante in terms of quality,” notes Stroud of his recent high-def upgrade. “We saw our shots from the Amazon, and we knew it was the right thing to do. The colors are so vivid and beautiful.”

Also thrown into the Pelican is a smaller Sony DCR-HC96, the profile and infrared capabilities of which make it easy to “prop up and do time lapses,” Stroud explains. A waterproof lipstick cam, the $300 Viosport Adventure Cam H20, always ends up getting plenty of work, too."

Also noted he carries 50 pounds of video gear including 45 tapes. Would make you wonder if he plans switching to a HDD camcorder ... just for the saving in space.

Said he went all Sony after using a mix of Sony and Panasonic gear resulted in a difficulty in matching white balances
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

One of the producers, Andy Peterson, goes here.

I suggested to him earlier about using an HC7 for the next season and have yet to get a response...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

this past season he used the sony z1u for bulk of footage...sony hc3 ... backup sony hc96 he says he'll just leave on for time lapses...and waterproof lipstick cam...
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark