Beowulf ... WHAT??? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #46
Major Player

Sorry to confuse you--it helps to read previous posts carefully--but I guess that's the same as striving for accuracy, which some people detest.
But it happens to me too. I was confused after learning that the real Elliot Ness didnt have a family(just a cat) after watching the Untouchables, given how central the fake family was to the story.
But that's Hollywood.

In 500 years I guess we can expect a Korean War movie with Hitler as a good guy who beats Napoelon in a jet fighter duel.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden View Post
Sorry to confuse you--it helps to read previous posts carefully--but I guess that's the same as striving for accuracy, which some people detest.
lol touche

Andy.
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #48
Major Player

Sorry I didnt want to sound snippy.

I was going to add a ;) in there somewhere to lighten it up but in the heat of the moment I neglected to.

To actually get back to topic for a moment, Beowulf vs Grendel is on a local channel this week so i will catch that before I see this one!
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #49
Major Player

Thats cool Kelly i didn't mean your being touchy , i meant touche (too-shay) as in you have me there, good point.

Andy.
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #50
Major Player

Yeah I figured that was what you meant I just thought maybe I sounded a bit harsh. :) This thread is becoming all about accuracy! lol
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #51
Trustee

are you guys for real? the poem of beowulf is FICTION! what historical inaccuracies are you talking about? lol.

even history back then were iffy. there's imply not a lot of evidence one way or another of who's who just like 300. we dunno how many they were against. just rough estimates.

even real "history" itself is mythical, lol.
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #52
MPS Digital Studios

I think Woody Allen said it best in Annie Hall: "Just don't take any class where you have to read 'Beowulf'."

heath
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu View Post
are you guys for real? the poem of beowulf is FICTION! what historical inaccuracies are you talking about? lol.
Were talking more in general terms of stories, historcal events being altered for amusement. But i supose thats a whole other thread.

Andy.
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #54
Major Player

Yes it was two separate lines of thought.
One was on changes to legendary stories(I hate saying Beowulf is entirely fiction because there may well have been a real Beowulf king) and the other was on movies that are based on history.

And this whole digression started because I just said(in response to someone else who was talking about them changing the story) that I didnt expect them to be any more faithful with Beowulf when they havent been with any other similar works (Troy, etc) and when they dont feel compelled to be with entirely historical works (i.e Gladiator). They always change things. Which isnt a criticism in itself(though i really dont get the family element in Untouchables because it seemed so tacked on..).

I hope that clears things up.

Anyway--I havent read Beowulf in years.
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I think Woody Allen said it best in Annie Hall: "Just don't take any class where you have to read 'Beowulf'."

heath
You, Heath, and the other 3 million movie reviewers who have been quoting the line ad nauseum!

Hey, tell you what, don't go to any film school where they make you watch "Interiors!"
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #56
MPS Digital Studios

Or any film school, like my old one, where they say The English Patient really DID deserve the Oscar.

Anyway, it's a shame Beowulf tanked (not in 3D--the opening weekend in 3D accounted for 40% of the total gross).

heath
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden View Post
In 500 years I guess we can expect a Korean War movie with Hitler as a good guy who beats Napoelon in a jet fighter duel.
Hahahahaha.... I really would not be surprised! Well, I suppose it's pretty hard to be surprised after dying 400 years earlier. :)

Carl
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Or any film school, like my old one, where they say The English Patient really DID deserve the Oscar.

Anyway, it's a shame Beowulf tanked (not in 3D--the opening weekend in 3D accounted for 40% of the total gross).

heath
According to Boxofficeguru it was more like 29%, but that was from 20% of the screens, so the premium on 3D was only like 30% over normal screenings. Considering the difference in ticket prices it wasn't that big a deal.

I don't see that it's a "shame" that Beowulf flopped. The Golden Compass was also a disappointment, so we might be coming to the end the CGI heavy Fantasy adventure much as the triple whammy of Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven and troy finished of the Neo Epic's. Sure we'll get the a couple more Narnias, and finish of the rest of the Potter films, but after that, who knowsm, we'll be up for the next cycle.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank View Post
but after that, who knowsm, we'll be up for the next cycle.
Iv been waiting for arthur c clarke's "Rendezvous with rama" series to be made for a while now, its a four book scifi monster. Word is that Morgan Freeman owns the rights and intends to play one of the lead roles, that would be an epic scifi quadrilogy if they get made, watch this space it may be the next big thing.....i just hope they do the books justice.

Andy.
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
Iv been waiting for arthur c clarke's "Rendezvous with rama" series to be made for a while now, its a four book scifi monster.
Four books? I've read Rendezvous with Rama but never realised there were three more books?! Why did no one tell me?!
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark