DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Honda ad - 606 takes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/10823-honda-ad-606-takes.html)

John Locke June 13th, 2003 05:14 PM

Honda ad - 606 takes

Anyone seen this ad? Can you believe that there's only one second of CG in it (used to combine two halves of the chain because the whole thing was too big for their studio to do in unbroken take)?

Here's an article that talks about the "making of."

Mark Moore June 13th, 2003 05:54 PM

I have not seen the ad, but that is amazing. What patience to do that hundreds of times!

I'm a quiet guy anyway, but it leaves me speechless!

Thanks for the link.

Ken Tanaka June 13th, 2003 06:24 PM

It looks like a truly remarkable feat! Surely it drove somebody absolutely nuts.

(But it sure is a terrible advertisement for a product.)

Thanks for that, John.

Alex Knappenberger June 13th, 2003 06:27 PM

Thats cool, but it is a bad advertisement. "Don't you just like it when everything just comes toghether?" oh yeah, but it took them 606 times to get that shot right. :D

K. Forman June 13th, 2003 06:47 PM

The crew was certainly glad it worked! That was an amazing feat, thanks John for sharing that!

Trey Perrone June 14th, 2003 08:11 PM

===>Thats cool, but it is a bad advertisement. "Don't you just like it when everything just comes toghether?" oh yeah, but it took them 606 times to get that shot right. :D

i think the statement was more directed to hondas fine machinery. Those engines keep on going and going...(wheres the pink rabbit?)

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 14th, 2003 09:55 PM

Robert calls it.

I've seen the ad and the press, but I don't buy it. Here's why I think this is a fully CG production.

(1) The entire setup is a textbook example of a good scenario to use global illumination rendering. Flat, even background, no horizon. Nothing but plastic, metal, and glass parts. Photoreal appearance of an impossible/improbable feat.
(2) Some things just aren't physically right. You don't get tires to roll uphill by tapping them. I've never seen loudspeaker horns puff like that. Some of the aerial acrobatics are executed with a level of statistical improbability so as to be miraculous.
(3) Let's face it--nobody invests in a commercial that they know will take 600 takes.

The story about the hundreds of takes and the CG splice was concocted to lend some shred of believability to it all. Ultimately, I think we'll see the makers of the commercial come forward and announce their hoax. Or, they might just keep it a secret and use it on their resume. In any case, I want to see some hard proof. How about some documentary footage of the rig setups?

John Locke June 14th, 2003 10:30 PM

Robert,

I wondered about that, too...but their explanation of the tires rolling uphill holds water. They claim they weighted the tires within and set the weights at the top just at the balancing point. So when the tire is tapped, it rolls the balanced weights off-center causing the tire to roll uphill.

I buy that.

Gary Chavez June 18th, 2003 10:28 AM

so what keeps the tires from rolling before they are tapped if they were weighted at the top?, i mean, where is the "balancing point" of a circle? and what caused them to roll forward then when tapped. the "balancing point suggests that it could have rolled either way or fallen to one side or the other.
that was the sticking point for me, the tire sequence.

Will Fastie June 18th, 2003 01:51 PM

It IS a good ad!

Whether real or not, it's a great ad.

I was a magazine editor, so I've been up close and personal with advertising. The whole key was making the reader stop and take notice. That's even more critical in a TV spot, where the viewer either is caught or not, no flipping the page back.

This ad absolutely, positively makes you stop and watch. It's a winner.

Will