Before the Devil Knows You're Dead shot in HDcamSR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old November 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead shot in HDcamSR

http://imdb.com/title/tt0292963/technical
^other than Lucas, he's one of the classic directors beginning to turn to digital and it has made his film a bit better.

any other classic directors turning towards digital?
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #2
American Society of Cinematographers

Lumet used the Panavision Genesis for "Before the Devils Knows You're Dead".

Lumet has been an HD fan for awhile, ever since his series "100 Centre Street" was shot in HD.

Besides Lucas, Rodriquez, Fincher, Cameron, Mann... well, Francis Coppolla claims he's converted to HD now that he made "Youth without Youth" in HD (it was shot on the F900 but they recorded the signal to an external SRW-1 deck so they could get 10-bit 4:2:2 with less compression using HDCAM-SR.)

Soderberg has shot in digital before and is using the RED cameras for his two newest movies, but he's also somewhat of a dabbler in different technologies and could just as easily go back to film after these movies.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I loved the movie. Lean and Mean, with excellent acting all around.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Trustee

But it looked horrible. The highlights were badly blown-out and there were essentially no gradation in the shadows, only black. I was amazed at how poor it looked, unless that was intentional--for some reason that escapes me.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mullen View Post
Lumet used the Panavision Genesis for "Before the Devils Knows You're Dead".

Lumet has been an HD fan for awhile, ever since his series "100 Centre Street" was shot in HD.

Besides Lucas, Rodriquez, Fincher, Cameron, Mann... well, Francis Coppolla claims he's converted to HD now that he made "Youth without Youth" in HD (it was shot on the F900 but they recorded the signal to an external SRW-1 deck so they could get 10-bit 4:2:2 with less compression using HDCAM-SR.)

Soderberg has shot in digital before and is using the RED cameras for his two newest movies, but he's also somewhat of a dabbler in different technologies and could just as easily go back to film after these movies.
Hmmm, that's a nice thing to know.

How about you David? Have you ever worked with digital?

Are you going to work with RED soon?
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Don't forget Apocalypto. Panavision Genesis. I think this has a nice look to it. Very sharp and nice contrast. Many scenes shot with severe contrast under harsh sunlight. I think the camera handled highlights well. This seems to be a point of reservation with some DP's who claim HD doesn't handle high contrast well. I think the benefits of HD far outweigh the drawbacks, which seem to be shrinking as time passes.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark