DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   30 days of night (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/108476-30-days-night.html)

Dave Robinson November 21st, 2007 05:15 AM

30 days of night

Watched this last night, to be honest I was actually quite impressed. I was expecting gibberish with it being a Raimi flick, but it was not too shabby. The ending was a little rushed and there were a few cliches chucked in, but I found the film visually quite pleasant, despite the gore.

The one thing that did bug me was, why was the main bad guy the spitting image of the lead singer from "The Pet Shop Boys?" I half expected the vampires to burst into West End Girls at some point.

However, if you don't mind turning your brain downa few notches it's quite an enjoyable movie.

Oh and Hartnett still isn't very good at acting.

Dylan Couper November 22nd, 2007 03:49 PM

I turned my brain down to a comfortable 2 and enjoyed almost all of this movie. The ending was an eye roller, and there were some ridiculous moves by the characters.

The big dissapointment was that it seemed more like 1 Day Of Night... not 30.

Still, it kept me entertained for 90...

Dave Robinson November 22nd, 2007 04:51 PM

I know what you mean about the ending, I was kinda like "Oh, it's ended has it?"

Sean Skube November 27th, 2007 10:18 AM

The ending is straight from the book.
I actually thought Hartnett did a decent job. I also just saw him in Lucky Number Slevin, and he definitely did a good acting job in that. So did everyone else in the film, really.

Dave Robinson November 27th, 2007 10:22 AM

Hartnett was very good in Lucky Number Slevin because his character had a certain humour about him. I think in this film he fails a little because there was no humour, understandably, in his character. I think a more mature actor may have been a better choice.

Josh Chesarek November 27th, 2007 12:10 PM

I enjoyed it a tad more than most horror movies. I thought the scene where the camera flew above the town showing everything that was happening was a very cool shot. Ending was pretty much what I was expecting but I still enjoyed it over all. The preview for AVP2 had me interested though, that seems to have way more potential than the first AVP.

Sean Skube November 27th, 2007 02:51 PM

oh man, the trailer for AVP2 was better than the movie AVP. But that's a topic for another posting.

Kelly Goden November 22nd, 2008 08:29 PM

I saw this recently.

Great idea, although I would have to watch it again to see if I it holds up for me.
I found it really gripping until the blood injection thing near the end.
I was expecting them to lure the vampires in and chew them up in the grinding machinery.

Apparently they used Day for Night photography-very impressive.
Also liked the vampire makeup a lot.

I could have done without the vampire language though. A little of it worked in something like Blade, but it detracted from the movie for me.

Great casting choice of the guy who uses his plough to mess up the vampires. He played a vampire hunter in John Carpenter's Vampires and gave a "side splitting" performance--literally!

I kept thinking of the Thing while watching it.