DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Tarantino's "tributes" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/108808-tarantinos-tributes.html)

Rafael Lopes November 26th, 2007 01:29 AM

Tarantino's "tributes"

I always knew Tarantino was heavily influenced by many movies and genres but I had no idea he had literally copied some scenes:

http://www.blogdecine.com/2007/11/25...ntin-tarantino

I still love him...but now I little less...

Ben Winter November 26th, 2007 09:24 AM

Everything's been done before. True "success" in Hollywood is about ripping off other people's work and changing it a little bit to make it your own. Actors will copy mannerisms from the greats as building blocks to their own on-screen persona. It's all regurgitated, but we eat it up anyway.

I've never been a fan of Tarantino. He's like any other student filmmaker; he sees what he likes and tries to emulate it without any regard for his own creativity. Even worse, Tarantino's films are a creative sinkhole for student filmmakers in the grips of arrested development. Thus, we have an oversaturation of needlessly violent, criminally derivative student films that go nowhere.

Will Mahoney December 3rd, 2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter (Post 782014)
I've never been a fan of Tarantino. He's like any other student filmmaker; he sees what he likes and tries to emulate it without any regard for his own creativity. Even worse, Tarantino's films are a creative sinkhole for student filmmakers in the grips of arrested development. Thus, we have an oversaturation of needlessly violent, criminally derivative student films that go nowhere.

Dude, totally...you hit the nail on the head.

Jay Kavi January 9th, 2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Everything's been done before. True "success" in Hollywood is about ripping off other people's work and changing it a little bit to make it your own. Actors will copy mannerisms from the greats as building blocks to their own on-screen persona. It's all regurgitated, but we eat it up anyway.

True, but what a jaded comment Ben. For some emulation can give way to finding your own voice. Maybe it shouldnt be taken as far as Taratino, but its part of a growth process.

Scott Lovejoy January 14th, 2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

I think I like what he represents better. Himself, Kevin Smith, Robert Rodriguez, all kind of getting big at the same time with these indy movies, having not gone to film school and having sort of put themselves out for failure. I would say that a problem with a lot of film students (myself included at times) is trying to emulate what made Pulp Fiction great, but really emulating how he got there...or how Robert Rodriguez got there (I like his story better). I wouldn't say Pulp Fiction is the cutting edge of violence, but it put it in everyones faces in a mainstream way. We're now over saturated with this idea. I think that the next big name in indy comes from a new direction, instead of ultra-violence it's another for of innovation, I'm just curious to see what it is.

John Hewat January 24th, 2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 781881)
I always knew Tarantino was heavily influenced by many movies and genres but I had no idea he had literally copied some scenes...

Whenever I make a short film I love having the opportunity to do a shot from a movie I love, or rip-off/homage a particular movie. To me it's just a reference to make me smile, but to others they could see it as an homage or a rip-off and that's fine. When I watch my movies, they are kind of like the key to what movies I was watching at the time, because wherever I can, I find room to reference other films.

So I can see it from his point of view too, that he just wants to make a kind of joke with himself or anyone else who might get it. The extent to which it's ok before it's considered 'ripping-off' varies from person to person I guess.