Tin Man on Sci Fi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Tin Man on Sci Fi

Anybody else checking this out? Very interesting interpretation of the original book by L. Frank Baum -- as much as I enjoy all the singing and dancing in the 1939 film version, this is really pretty good so far, edgy dark and moody the way it oughta be. Got a kick out of Richard Dreyfus as the Great and Terrible Mystic Man, and they did a nice job on the mo-bats.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2
DVi Contributor

It does seem to be kinda catching. Will be watching tomarrow, after HEROES of course. A full night of good scifi.

anyone have any production notes on Tin Man?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I was pretty sceptical, but it won me over. I like the 'sideways' spin on the whole story. Production values are pretty good. I think the actress who plays "DG" is the weakest link however.... everyone else is a real delight.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
I think the actress who plays "DG" is the weakest link however.... everyone else is a real delight.
I agree. Funny how the father looks a lot like Frank Morgan (1939 Wizard). I'm sure that's just coincidence. So far, I'm enjoying it.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Watched it last night, enjoyed it. It was fun to correspond some of the scenes to those in the Judy Garland version. It was kind of an OZ meets Dune feel for me (as best I can describe it).

I was reading something the other day that said there were 6 or was it 9 movie versions before the 1939 version starring JG, anyone know their titles, or if they are available. Might make for some interesting viewing.

Not sure I agree with the criticism of Zoey as DG, its really tough to create a character that isn't what the viewer expects especially as a 25 year old portraying what a 17 year old? I viewed her character as a straight-forward no holds barred, damn the torpedos full speed ahead type.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
It was kind of an OZ meets Dune feel for me (as best I can describe it).
That's just exactly what I thought too.

Quote:
...there were 6 or was it 9 movie versions before the 1939 version starring JG, anyone know their titles, or if they are available.
Not a fan of this site due to its copious inaccuracies, but here goes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Won...Oz#Adaptations

See also opening paragraphs of http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oz/ozsect2.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I thought her name was Zooey, to 'o's.

Just not a lot of range in her acting or expressions so far. It's always a tough call, playing the ingenue... but I'm not seeing more than a smart alecky waitress here... Perhaps she'll have more arc as the show goes on. I have a shoot tonite, so I'll miss it.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

As not a fan of the original Wizard of Oz, but known to love it... i kinda liked the new one... i just wasn't prepared at first. i thought it was just an updated wizard of oz, but i didn't expect half the things, i really really like it... it just has the feel of a SG1 or SGA type of bad scifi, i looked at some shots trying to color correct it with my eyes...

But the story is good so far, as i was going in expecting a new wizard of oz... i didn't like it at first

But then again, the tinman graduated from my school, and we're about to do the wizard of oz play and warner brothers is coming out to film a documentary of it

Z
Zac Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Richard,

I thought it was two o's but then wasn't sure so I opted to be conservative. LOL.

Watching the 2nd part last night, I commented to my wife that I wasn't sure if she wasn't a very good actress or if she intended to make her character appear the way she has. ( I hope its the latter, but still not sure of the motivation). the wide eyed stare is kinda odd. I do hear some vocal similarities with her sister.

Definitely a different take on the story, and I like it a lot. but will she wake up and it all be a dream?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I loved the little 'homages' to the Oz flick they keep inserting here and there. The shot of the TinMan and Scarecrow looking over the hill at the 'queens guards' was nice... I almost expected to hear the guards chanting "Oh We Love the OLD ONE..." (Yeah, that's what they are chanting in the movie.)

Last nite, Zooey really got on my nerves... the flat delivery for almost everything. ONly when she flashed back on how the wicked sister got wicked, did we see any emotion... and then it was a faucet of tears.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Wrangler

No Sci Fi channel at my place.

I really wanted to see Tin Man, partly because Neal McDonough's acting intrigues me (loved him in Band of Brothers). How's he doing?

This "making of" on YouTube was pretty fun for me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-MqpOT1rQY
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Major Player

watched the second piece....not what I expected at all...intresting take, but as mentioned the girl playing DG is awful. She should have been playing an android with her lack of expression and emotion. I literally sat there watching with my brothers and I started making robotic movement noises when she was moving her head around and delivering her dry lines, and we all cracked up because it fit so well. She definately ruined the chance that`d I`d watch part 3. Even her childhood counterpart was a little better, but still had the same blank stare most of the time. Maybe thats what they wanted, just rubbed me the wrong way since she`s the main focus and NOT an android.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
I almost expected to hear the guards chanting "Oh We Love the OLD ONE..." (Yeah, that's what they are chanting in the movie.)
OMG Richard, you have just solved one of the greatest mysteries of my life. Thanks for that! I was always impressed (growing up in KS myself) at how well they did the tornado effect for having shot in the late 1930's.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
No Sci Fi channel at my place. I really wanted to see Tin Man, partly because Neal McDonough's acting intrigues me (loved him in Band of Brothers). How's he doing?
He's one of the best ones on the show. Shame you can't get it, BUT,

http://www.scifi.com/tinman

You can watch it online. :D
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yeah, I recall seeing how they did the tornado effect in the 30's, a MECHANICAL tornado, made of cotton and stuff... rotating against a background... looked amazing. Still does.

Did you note the paintings in DG's bedroom? Looks like one of the paintings is of the tornado from the 30s movie... pretty cool.

Now that I've read Nathan's comments... I'm beginning to wonder if there won't be some great denouement where we find out DG IS AN ANDROID... like her parents? That would explan the wooden acting, and the damn funny way she runs. Did you notice that? There was a shot where they were running through, what looked like turbines in a power generating plant, she's chasing the dog... and she's running with her arms straight down by her side! I saw that, and turned to my wife who said, "Wow... she runs funny, kind of like a robot..." So maybe Nathan's on to a plot twist, and we'll all be amazed at how well she played it off.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark