DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Books or stories that should be turned into movies! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/109909-books-stories-should-turned-into-movies.html)

Dave Robinson December 10th, 2007 11:43 AM

Books or stories that should be turned into movies!

Well the title say's it all.

My personal choices:

The Blue Nowhere - Jeffrey Deaver
One thing I'd like to see with this movie would be realism. I think it would need a lot of technical advice to get it right.

Songs of Distant Earth - Arthur C Clarke
Aslong as Mike Oldfield is brought in to score the movie I'd be happy.

Everything's Eventual - Stephen King
I'm amazed this hasn't already been done, it's about the only story worth reading in the whole collection.

Imajica - Clive Barker
I'd love to see this turned into a movie I just think you'd need a stupidly massive budget to do it effectively.

The Stand - Stephen King
The ultimate story of good and evil cannot be made on a budget of $30 by Mick Garris! Get Darabont on the case and give him a blank cheque, then we might have a movie that does the book justice...maybe.

Bill Mecca December 10th, 2007 02:01 PM

Cell -- Stephen King
for myriad reasons.

Josh Bass December 11th, 2007 04:57 AM

I have to say "meh" to all the Steve King stuff mentioned. I used to worship the guy, now I have to admit his older stuff is much better. Skeleton Crew and Graveyard Shift (first two short story anthologies) have some killer stuff.

Come on guys. . . how 'bout the Gunslinger series? (at least the first 4. . .gets a little dubious after that).

I would also say Alistair Reynolds' stuff. They'd screw it up though.

Josh Bass December 11th, 2007 04:59 AM

I have to say "meh" to all the Steve King stuff mentioned. I used to worship the guy, now I have to admit his older stuff is much better. Skeleton Crew and Graveyard Shift (first two short story anthologies) have some killer stuff.

Come on guys. . . how 'bout the Gunslinger series? (at least the first 4. . .gets a little dubious after that).

I would also say Alistair Reynolds' stuff. They'd screw it up though.

Also recently read a genuinely disturbing horror novel called "The Ruins" by Scott Smith (also of "A Simple Plan". . .his only other book).

Dave Robinson December 11th, 2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 790593)

Without editing the Dark Tower series to death the movie would end up being around 15 hours long. To be honest as a Stephen King (horror) fan, I found them incredibly boring. I think it was either 3 or 4 that I actually liked but the rest did nothing for me.

I was wondering if there were any directors around who would be capable of turning Dante's Divine Comedy into a movie. Not sure if it's a good idea but it would be interesting to see someone try.

Andy Graham December 11th, 2007 07:36 AM

I'll chime in with another arthur c clarke novel "the light of other days"
the concept of worm holes was lightly touched apon by that movie "deja vu".

And of course "The Hobbit", it would have to be the same team as Lord of the rings who make it i.e pete jackson and weta workshop, and it would have to be Ian Holm that plays bilbo (although he is gettin on a bit)

Andy.

Richard Alvarez December 11th, 2007 08:37 AM

"Glory Road" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Carl Middleton December 11th, 2007 09:45 AM

*Anything* by Tim Dorsey or Terry Pratchett. :D

Oh, and A Brief History of Time. =D

Carl

Edward Slonaker December 12th, 2007 12:30 PM

Piers Anthony - Xanth Series

Victor Kellar December 13th, 2007 04:48 PM

How about some of c.j. cherryh's space opera books like Rimrunners or Finity's End ... I always thought of her space stuff as being very cinematic

Or Harry Harrison's Deathworld trilogy; maybe only the first one but with its tough female characters and the charming rougue of Jason din Alt, I think it would make a really entertaining movie

Getting away from science fiction, I would like to see more of T. Jefferson Parker's crime books made into movies. I didnt see Laguna Heat (hard to find now) but his books have not only great plotting but I would imagine good actors would like to inhabit some of his characters. "Silent Joe" or the Mercy Rayburn books would work well as movies

Willian Diehl's "Eureka" is another crime novel that would make a great movie; maybe would do better as a pay TV mini series as there is so much to it. Great characters, great plot covering different historical eras, great action scenes ... it would really work on the small screen

The Creasy books by A.J. Quinell need a proper interpretation. Man on Fire has been made twice and both versions sucked. I liked these books cause they were stripped down action fare with an international scene and a very hardcore hero, real macho stuff that could work with the right actor and a director who doesn't want to pretend he's an artist

Finally, getting back to science fictions, Gergory Benford's "Artifact" always had me thinking in movie terms. Its a sci fi movie that takes place entirely on earth, basically in the present day, tying history and cosmic theory together with politics, a love story and a race against time endoftheworld-disaster scenerio ... would be very exciting

Dave Robinson December 14th, 2007 10:50 AM

Just thought of another,

The Ghosts of Sleath - James Herbert

Sean Skube December 14th, 2007 01:42 PM

Dan Simmons' Hyperion series!!!! Hell, ANYTHING by Simmons would rock!

Josh Bass December 22nd, 2007 05:07 AM

Okay, never mind. Looks like they're already making "The Ruins." Found a trailer online just now on Atom Films.

Bob Thieda January 8th, 2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez (Post 790650)
"Glory Road" by Robert A. Heinlein.

Another Heinlein classic: "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"....
One of my favorites growing up....

Bob

Jay Kavi January 9th, 2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Kellar (Post 792041)

The Creasy books by A.J. Quinell need a proper interpretation. Man on Fire has been made twice and both versions sucked. I liked these books cause they were stripped down action fare with an international scene and a very hardcore hero, real macho stuff that could work with the right actor and a director who doesn't want to pretend he's an artist

Ouch, I liked the Tony Scott version. And isnt filmmaking an art?