DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   I <3 Dexter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/110662-i-3-dexter.html)

Jerrod Cordell December 20th, 2007 11:04 AM

I <3 Dexter

In my opinion, I think Dexter on Showtime is probably the best show on television right now. Amazing writing, amazing cinematography and editing. I just love it. And I think it's cool that a lot of it was shot in HD. I don't know, I just got done watching the second season so I'm all in fanatic mode, but for those of you who haven't seen the series, go to Target, pick up the first season, watch it, go on Showtime On Demand, and watch the second season.

Carl Middleton December 20th, 2007 08:57 PM

Dexter is truly awesome. :)

What do you mean by 'a lot of it' was shot in HD? It's all in beautiful HD - absolutely stunning! :) The opening sequence alone sold me on the show. The fact it's actually followed up with great writing, acting, audio and visuals seals the deal. :)

C

Jerrod Cordell December 23rd, 2007 02:34 AM

I read in a HD VideoPro magazine that it was shot in both HD and film.

Thomas Smet December 23rd, 2007 08:10 AM

I also recently got into Dexter this year. I am a huge fan of Weeds and Californication and one day I figured I would check out Dexter because it was on after Weeds and I loved it.

I know some people think it may be a sick concept along with a lot of the other current Showtime shows right now but they really are fascinating.

It is a great study into the mind of a serial killer unlike what we usually see and it is very interesting. Personally I'm tired of the only view we ever see of the serial killer are the cops trying to catch them. Dexter is a great and unique shift in perspective that gives a fresh look into what makes them tick.

I thik Showtime is worth it just for those three shows alone. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me buy Dextor but she still thinks the show is sick.

Ben Winter December 23rd, 2007 01:33 PM

I agree. Dexter is my favorite show ever, by far. I'll have to check out Weeds and Californication now.

Carl Middleton December 23rd, 2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell (Post 797220)
I read in a HD VideoPro magazine that it was shot in both HD and film.

Ahh, my mistake. I'll revise my statement - it's delivered in stunningly beautiful HD. It does not surprise me that it was shot partially in film - that intro for starters? Either that or some very heavy and gorgeous grading.

Heya down there in Titusville, you're right up the road :)

C

Ben - Haven't I seen you comment towards being against overly violent television/movies? If so/I remember correctly, it just goes to show that this is truly a narrative and storyline based effort - well worth it. :) Weeds and Californication aren't as good in my mind, but definitely worth checking out. The season finale of Californication almost had me falling out of my chair laughing. :)

Ben Winter December 23rd, 2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Middleton (Post 797428)
Ben - Haven't I seen you comment towards being against overly violent television/movies? If so/I remember correctly, it just goes to show that this is truly a narrative and storyline based effort - well worth it. :) Weeds and Californication aren't as good in my mind, but definitely worth checking out. The season finale of Californication almost had me falling out of my chair laughing. :)

Indeed, the creators go out of their way never to show the actual dirty deed when Dexter commits it; usually a splash of blood on the face or a quick cutaway upon impact. Rather they concentrate of the pathos, a real psychological examination of the character--and in a way, I think we see a little bit of ourselves in him!

Of course, I just got out of the theater after seeing Sweeney Todd...which makes Dexter look like Pushing Daisies...

Jerrod Cordell December 24th, 2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter (Post 797482)
Indeed, the creators go out of their way never to show the actual dirty deed when Dexter commits it; usually a splash of blood on the face or a quick cutaway upon impact. Rather they concentrate of the pathos, a real psychological examination of the character--and in a way, I think we see a little bit of ourselves in him!

Of course, I just got out of the theater after seeing Sweeney Todd...which makes Dexter look like Pushing Daisies...

I think that's what makes Dexter such a good show is that everyone can relate to him. Everyone has a little bit of a psychopath in them, Dexter just brings it to life in a visual form.

I still haven't seen Weeds or Californication. All I know about Californication is that Red Hot Chili Peppers are pissed at the show. lol. And I still need to see Sweeney Todd. It looks awesome.

Jerrod Cordell December 24th, 2007 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Middleton (Post 797428)
Heya down there in Titusville, you're right up the road :)

lol Quite aways up the road, but still up the road. =)

Sean Skube January 3rd, 2008 05:29 PM

Yep! I love that show! Just got Season 1 for xmas. Can't wait for S3!!!
And Sweeney Todd was gorgeous! I'm not a huge fan of movie musicals (I didn't care for Moulin Rouge) but this was such a visual feast, I didn't care that there's very little non-singing dialog.

Heiko Saele January 12th, 2008 01:19 PM

I'm not surprised to see a lot of Dexter fans here. You watch the trailer and if you're interested in cinematography you have to see the rest :)
But, aside from the cinematography, the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter seems to be a really good book, and it has been excellently adapted to a series script. Every time I see the trailer I want to look for camerawork/lighting/editing, but I never manage to do so because the story sucks me in.

My favorite quote from Dexter: "If I had a heart, it would be breaking right now!" Just my kind of humor :)