DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   The Day the Earth Stood still (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/111883-day-earth-stood-still.html)

Frank Granovski January 8th, 2008 02:30 AM

The Day the Earth Stood still

Do you remember this movie with the large robot? "They're" shooting a remake in the Lower Mainland. My brother's there watching right now---around the corner from where he lives. Lots of lights and smoke. :-)

Richard Alvarez January 8th, 2008 07:03 AM

Yup remember it well. Probably the earliest 'sci fi' memory of my life. It was technically a 'soft sociological' piece of sci fi - not a lot of technology and whiz bang to it. Just a tall guy in a neoprene outfit. But the 'message' was the primary element.

"Y'all get along with all this nucular stuff, or we'll have to wipe you out. You're living in a bigger world now. See ya."

I expect they'll probably screw that up in the new one. (Keanau Reeves as Klaatu???)

Heres the old trailer.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0043456/trai...lay-E29594-310

Bill Ravens January 8th, 2008 08:40 AM

Michael Rennie....a notable thespian

Kelly Goden January 8th, 2008 02:01 PM

Didnt even know there was a remake happening...the ship opening scene was very effective.

Gort was cool but the movie itself was kind of silly upon reflection. An alien race was willing to destroy all life on earth because of the actions of a few thousand members of one species. Talk about overkill. You would think they could do a surgical strike and just remove the problem element--or destroy all technology and let everything start over. No need to vaporize the planet.

There was a sequel planned in the 80s called the Day the Earth Still Stood. I think James Cameron was involved. Klaatu's daughter returns with Gort.

John Miller January 8th, 2008 04:45 PM

I hate it when epoch-making films are remade.

I think it shows a lack of imagination and a wanton desire to earn box office returns on someone else's work.

I don't think I've ever seen a remake better than the original. The most recent one I saw was Miracle on 34th Street. Horrible.

Frank Granovski January 9th, 2008 12:48 AM

I agree. Most remakes are terrible, and for television as well. Examples: Twilight Zone, Outer Limits---doesn't say much for Vancouver based production. Now please excuse me while I get ready to watch a DS9 re-run. :-)

Victor Kellar January 9th, 2008 06:36 PM

Actually, there was a short lived TV series based on "Earth" in the 80's. It starred one of the guys from Adam 21. That's all I remember of it. Probably lucky there.

I loved the movie when it first came out. Sure, the "message" seems silly now but at least it had a message which was rare in them days ... these days too. And Gort was cool. Every time I see that image I get the willies.

Barbara O Neal. Every time I see her image I get the willies .... um, just kidding.

Richard Alvarez January 9th, 2008 07:10 PM

I vaguely recall, after seeing the film on Television, that it inspired me to place a dinner plate in the backyard sand pit, scatter my green army men around it....

My mom wouldn't let me melt them.

Tim Miller January 18th, 2008 12:38 AM

Being a HUGE fan of 50's sci-fi, I have to say this is my favorite movie of all time. There is nothing in the film I do not like and I have seen it at least 30 times.

Anyway, I never had hopes for the remake - they never work - but when I found that Keanu Reeves was going to play Klaatu I completely gave up. I have a hard time taking him seriously as a human being much less an alien. The only thing worse would have been to have cast Liam Neeson as Klaatu. In my opinion he is the only major actor who is less talented than Keanu Reeves.

By the way, Patricia Neal is from my neck of the woods.

Victor Kellar January 18th, 2008 10:31 PM

"In my opinion he is the only major actor who is less talented than Keanu Reeves."

Really? OK, not the world's greatest thespian but think Nell or Rob Roy

Way worse: Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes .. gosh, the list just goes on and on

And I actually like Patricia Neal

Tim Miller January 18th, 2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Kellar (Post 810693)
"In my opinion he is the only major actor who is less talented than Keanu Reeves."

Really? OK, not the world's greatest thespian but think Nell or Rob Roy

Way worse: Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes .. gosh, the list just goes on and on

And I actually like Patricia Neal

Yeah, those guys are horrible to varying degrees. I'm not sure what it is about Liam Neeson that I don't like. For some reason he just irritates me. I didn't like "Nell" and I haven't seen "Rob Roy" - probably because Liam Neeson is in it :-) I did see "Star Wars EP1" and "The Haunting" - another butchered classic.

But to be fair to Keanu Reeves, it really doesn't matter who they cast to play Klaatu - their performance will pale in comparison to Michael Rennie's.

Richard Alvarez January 19th, 2008 09:09 AM

I'm just wondering how much the feel they will have to 'pump it up'. I mean, really there isn't much in the way of effects in the original one. A ship lands, some guns and tanks get melted, nothing elector-mechanical works (the day the earth stood still), and a guy in a neoprene suit has rays shoot out of his eyes... that's it. That's the extent of the 'scary effects and super powers'.

The strength of the script lay in the subtext of the story line. (Which is true of all great sci-fi and horror scripts). I'm thinking the 'brains' at the studio are sitting around going "Yeah, we need to blow up the eiffel tower, and melt the statue of liberty, and crush the hoover damn... yeah, and have the soldiers FACES melt off... and..." you get the picture. All the while, not looking at how the SCRIPT is key... looking at the theme, and updating THAT, while keeping its universal message.

In the midst of a writers strike.

Henry Dale January 19th, 2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Miller (Post 810241)
... the only major actor who is less talented than Keanu Reeves ...

What about Sean Bean?