DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   The Cloverfield Thread (SPOILERS) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/112678-cloverfield-thread-spoilers.html)

Ethan Cooper January 18th, 2008 04:52 PM

The Cloverfield Thread (SPOILERS)

So the wife and I went out and saw Cloverfield this afternoon. I liked it, thought it was well done, but as I get farther from the viewing it's beginning to bother me that I don't know what the hell really happened. What is the monster? Where did it come from? Why is it so pissed off? Did they kill it?
I need some closure here.
Anyone know the answers to these questions so I can stop trying to figure them out?

Heath McKnight January 18th, 2008 06:09 PM

I don't think we're ever supposed to know, but check out:

www.cloverfieldclues.com

You can learn more about the backstory by checking out the other sites.

heath

Ethan Cooper January 18th, 2008 07:05 PM

But it's this whole internet sourced backstory that bothers me. Is a feature film supposed to rely on it's internet subculture to fill in the details for the viewer or is it supposed to stand on it's own? Without all the proper information being shared in the film itself, the viewer is left feeling a bit cheated and the film feels slightly hollow.
I liked the movie, I really did, but it just frustrated me somewhat that I wasn't given all the information I needed as a viewer to fully understand what was happening.

Ethan Cooper January 18th, 2008 07:08 PM

Oh, and I stayed through the end credits, but I couldn't understand what was said. Anyone care to fill me in?

Heath McKnight January 18th, 2008 07:15 PM

I don't think it really matters. Eight years ago, I was editing my first feature film and the website I created filled in the backstory. I took that idea from Blair Witch's first website. But you didn't need the Internet backstory to make sense of the movie.

I'll email you what was said, so I don't spoil it!

heath

Chris Hurd January 18th, 2008 07:21 PM

Since Ethan is asking for spoilers, I have edited the thread title to reflect that, so as not to ruin the movie for anybody else who hasn't seen it yet.

Ethan Cooper January 18th, 2008 07:32 PM

I was trying to keep my comments vague as not to spoil the movie for anyone. (but I guess my questions opened the door for spoilers... sorry) If you guys would like we can pause this discussion for a couple of days and give people a chance to go see the movie. I'm just being a bit impatient and wanting some answers now.

Heath McKnight January 18th, 2008 08:39 PM

Thanks, Chris. I was going to ask someone to do that. Ethan, email me privately through DVi and I'll do my best to answer them, though I don't 100% know. And I think that's the point.

heath

Josh Chesarek January 19th, 2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 810624)
Oh, and I stayed through the end credits, but I couldn't understand what was said. Anyone care to fill me in?

check out the wikipedia page for a nother set of hints.

Nate Weaver January 19th, 2008 03:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've been following casually the web bits on it.

Couple thoughts:

-It appears that some of the story bits that were taken for granted on the movie came from anonymous accounts of test screenings. Then various story bits went away in the final version (see Jamie & Teddy). Supposedly a test screening had some footage of Rob at a Tagruato press event, on the "roll" before the party.

-Abrahms appears to be trying to create a story/spectacle/movie franchise that is bigger than one movie. My reasoning for this centers around cryptic updates to the websites continuing AFTER the premiere. My bet is that Cloverfield is the first movie of a few that will tell the entire story in his head.

-This to me seems smart business, as there has been a gold rush in TV development for these huge intricate stories that have a world that can be spun off into multiple shows/webisodes/etc. See Lost and Heroes.

-Given the way Cloverfield was produced (somewhat smaller budget, trailer first as proof-of-concept), it appears Abrahms is trying to bring some television thinking to the big screen.

Funny thing I just found out tonight...if you live in L.A. you know that yellow signs with arrows pointing this way or that are signs directing crew to parking locations. Most of the summer there were signs with "Slusho" around downtown, I remember seeing them and thinking what a weird name for a production company. I guess it was Cloverfield shooting downtown L.A.

Nate Benson January 19th, 2008 10:14 AM

I saw it last night and enjoyed it immensely.
I really hope there is another movie about it
filmed in a similar manner. I think if it was filmed
like all the other monster movies it would reveal to much

this reminded me of the war of the worlds radio broadcast from buffalo
in 1968/1971. Where something huge happens and we're not quite sure what.

the monster turned out to be nothing like I saw on the net, and that's
all I'll say.

Ethan Cooper January 19th, 2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Benson (Post 810811)
I saw it last night and enjoyed it immensely.
I really hope there is another movie about it
filmed in a similar manner.

I too am hoping they make another movie about it, but this time I want it told form another perspective and made a little more traditionally. I was drawn into the story and would love to understand what was really happening.

Brian Tori January 19th, 2008 12:19 PM

Does anyone know what format was used for recording? I had a chance to see it on a Christie DLP for projection. To me it looked like either 16:9 DV or consumer HDV. My guess is probably DV.

Heath McKnight January 19th, 2008 12:23 PM

IMDb says it was Panasvision Genesis, but I've seen behind-the-scenes photos of the director holding an HVX200. I think they also snuck in some footage from the teaser, shot on consumer cameras before the movie was done (and re-shot during production), during the party scene. The quality dropped.

heath

Nate Weaver January 19th, 2008 12:57 PM

Thats funny, I've heard Viper and HVX.