Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

how come the tommy lee jones movie, three burials, is supposedly shot on 35mm, but looks like it was shot on HD video? anyone have any info on this movie?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I've watched it twice so far and have been so absorbed by the story that I didn't really notice. Can only say that I would hate to be Barry Pepper's character in that movie.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
is supposedly shot on 35mm, but looks like it was shot on HD video? anyone have any info on this movie?
Maybe you could elaborate a little Ian?
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4

such a strange undertaking for TLJ, don't you think? actually, No Country for Old Men is of the same genre. My friend loved Three Burials, I thought it was "strange" to say the least.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks for moving this post, I didnt see the "awake in the dark" thread till after I posted it, thats what I get for not reading ahead eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kavi View Post
Maybe you could elaborate a little Ian?
I dont really know how to elaborate, I was just watching it last night on tv and it seemed like it had been shot on an HD cam with a 35mm attachment on it, everything was really sharp, and the colors just seemed video like.

good movie though.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
My friend loved Three Burials, I thought it was "strange" to say the least.
I didn't really like Three Burials when I first watched, but it has so many scenes & images that haunt you afterwards. Interesting thing about Three Burials, if someone has seen it, I can always strike up an interesting conversation about it. Never noticed the "look" of it though, there's a lot of story, subtext, and strangeness to keep me entertained and engaged.

I don't know why the old blind guy is so compelling, but just those few scenes alone could have been a whole movie in itself.
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Major Player

I loved this movie. Beginnning to end. Hypnotic and compelling and totally unpredicatable, kind of like life. Even my wife, who is more a fan of linear, traditionally story telling liked this movie.

Don't know if I'd go with the video looked. Thought it was "film like" (whatever that is) to my eyes. Whatever the looked, I liked it cause it really was more about the story telling.

The old man was played by Levon Helm, former drummer for the Band. I got to meet him several times when I was in the bar business in Southern Ontario. He was doing his own thing musically and, the last time I met him, was just about to begin filming The Right Stuff, I think his first movie. Levon was a funny, profane, intelligant guy and I've enjoyed tracking his movie career. His role in Burials is heartbreaking and compelling, maybe the element that really brought my wife into the story
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Kellar View Post
The old man was played by Levon Helm, former drummer for the Band.
*slaps forehead* Of course! I never picked up on that before -- thanks for pointing it out!

It was also great to see Dwight Yoakam in an acting role again.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark