DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Roy Scheider passes on (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/114519-roy-scheider-passes.html)

Charles Papert February 10th, 2008 11:58 PM

Roy Scheider passes on

Roy Scheider, probably best known for his role as Chief Brody in the "Jaws" films, has passed on at 75.

Greg Boston February 11th, 2008 12:06 AM

I heard that on the news this evening, Chas. I didn't realize he was in Arkansas though.

Sad to hear of his passing after catching the last half of 'Jaws' on one of the sat channels the other evening.

-gb-

Chris Soucy February 11th, 2008 12:26 AM

Sad...........

I think he was grossly underrated as an actor, and ill used in many of his film appearances.

His best performance, to my mind, is as the CIA? op in that movie with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier (what the heck was it called - yet another senior moment?).

Not sure what the director did to get him off his butt, but it worked, he really sparkled in that one.

"Jaws I" was ok, but I think he was coasting. For the others, he was sleepwalking.

Always sad to see another star burn out of the firmament.

Geez, didn't realize he was that age.

CS

Larry Price February 11th, 2008 03:45 AM

Damn. 75 is too young to go. My mom turned 74 yesterday, and dad will be 82 in April. While they both have numerous chronic health problems, none are life-threatening, so we expect several more years out of each of them.

I agree that Roy had lots of untapped ability as an actor. He had some good performances, but much of the time it was as if he phoned in his lines. I always wonder who to blame in situations like that.

RIP, Roy, and thanks for entertaining us.

Simon Wyndham February 11th, 2008 04:35 AM

French Connection was his best performance in my mind.

Though I loved Blue Thunder also! That is a really underrated movie!

Niall Chadwick February 11th, 2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 824123)
I think he was grossly underrated as an actor, and ill used in many of his film appearances.

His best performance, to my mind, is as the CIA? op in that movie with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier (what the heck was it called - yet another senior moment?).

Not sure what the director did to get him off his butt, but it worked, he really sparkled in that one.

"Jaws I" was ok, but I think he was coasting. For the others, he was sleepwalking.

Always sad to see another star burn out of the firmament.

Geez, didn't realize he was that age.

CS

CS,

I believe the film you were trying to remember was : Marathon Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074860/

:D

R.I.P. Roy.

I Loved Jaws. Scared the **** outta me tho.

Don Bloom February 11th, 2008 06:39 AM

he did well in all of those films but the one that really sticks in my mind is All that Jazz. Maybe it was all the great looking women but I think he did a real nice job as Bob Fosse.
Too bad, Iliked him.
Don

Christopher Witz February 11th, 2008 07:47 AM

one of my favs!

very sad!

was'nt marathon man one of the 1st movies to have steadicam work? and by Garrett no less?

Chris Soucy February 11th, 2008 12:09 PM

All That Jazz........

yep, yet another film where the Director had Roy "up close and personal" throughout.

Just went to show what he could do if kept from sleepwalking.

Funny thing, from my fractured memory, didn't "Jaws" come out in '76?

Seems it was a very busy year :- "Jaws", "Star Wars" and, if I'm not mistaken, Jeff Waynes double album of "War of the Worlds", with Richard Burton doing the narration (vaguely remember Kate Bush hitting the charts about then as well).

Now, if ever there was a guy who could "phone in his lines" and still win an Oscar, RB was it!.

What else came out in '76? Must have been shed loads. What happened?

CS

PS. Scary - 32 years ago.

Richard Alvarez February 11th, 2008 12:41 PM

RIP Roy. "All that Jazz" was undoubtedly his star performance, Marathon Man being a great film, but a supporting role.

I recall seeing "All That Jazz" while I was living in Paris... made me want to dance. A fantastic film.

Charles Papert February 11th, 2008 02:15 PM

"Marathon Man" was indeed one of the first films to use Steadicam...either #2 or #3. Of course the "is it safe" drill scene is the most famous in that movie but for me, Scheider getting gut-stabbed is a particularly memorable moment also, due to his reaction.

And without peeking at IMDB, my memory has "Jaws" as being summer 1975 and "Star Wars" as summer 1977...did I get it right? I was too young to see Jaws in the theatre but Star Wars was my life in '77.

Richard Alvarez February 11th, 2008 04:00 PM

Right you are Charles, Jaws -75, Marathon Man - 76, Star Wars-77, All That Jazz-79.

I'm old enough to remember seeing all of them, and who I was DATING at the time!

Marcus Marchesseault February 12th, 2008 05:28 AM

The Sorcerer was the most uncomfortable viewing experience of any movie I have seen. I know it wasn't popular or well-rated but it drew me in. It was a simple movie but the cinematography and acting somehow got to me. I thought I would have a heart attack when they cross the river. Roy Scheider always seemed to do a good job playing the "everyman" but with just a touch of nobility.

Marco Wagner February 12th, 2008 12:55 PM

He'll be missed - "Smile you son-of-a-bitch!"

Victor Kellar February 13th, 2008 11:12 AM

I loved Jaws,don't think he phoned it in at all

Performance in All That Jazz sticks out in my mind because it DOES stick out in a movie that had so much other stuff going on, it is remarkable that Roy came thru at all

Loved Blue Thunder and he was very good at it, he had a nice, understated style of acting without a lot of pretense and "technique" which sometimes made it hard for him to stand out

Great supporting work in French Connection and Marathon Man and he was good in Seven Ups as well, a "realistic" style of movie making that seemed to suit him

Last Embrace was a so-so movie that he was very good in, another low key realistic performance

Later in his career he seemed to fall into a b-movie action type role, working in some low rent movies and yes, he seemed to be sleepwalking at times

52 Pickup is a weak film and there is a lot of coasting on Roy's part but he had these moments where you believed everything he was selling

Sad that he has passed and sad that an actor who was on the verge of big stardom never really made it that far