Quarterlife at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old November 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Kino-Eye

Watching Quarterlife & twentysomething minutes with Marshall Herskovitz

I've been watching Quarterlife and it's an interesting hybrid of traditional film/television production with the lean and mean aesthetics of simplified area lighting and hand-held videography. The acting and writing are solid. Many people are watching this show to see what comes of bringing a traditional television series to the web and building a social network around the show. You might be interested in an interview I did with Marshall Herskovitz (who created the show with producing partner Ed Zwick) in which we talk about the origins of Quarterlife, his thoughts on the writers strike, and the future of scripted entertainment on the web. It's an interesting development to watch.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quarterlife

Did anyone see the premiere of quarterlife on NBC tonight? I am very intrigued with the show and am wondering about some production stuff. I have been watching behind the scenes videos at quarterlife.com and im pretty sure that they use the panasonic hvx200 camera. The producer was talking about how its all handhelds and i thought that was cool. can anyone attest to the panasonics being used?
Mark Tarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I guess this belongs in "Awake in the Dark", but I saw it and want to say a few things about it.

I don't know anything about what cameras they used, but I'm intrigued by the whole idea that it was shot for the internet first, then found a TV deal. I also like the video blog narration format, and how it ties into the storyline.

What I can't stand though, is the three lead girls with their severe self-esteem issues. They're pretty, but if they have to cry again in the next episode for some ridiculous reason, that'll be the end of the season for me.

The main guys who live in the house are pretty much boneheads. "You're an idiot." "So what does that make you?" Ohhh, what a comeback!

The countless awkward moments between the guys and the gals killed me. I felt like I was in some bad high school nightmare. Plus the fact that they throw the word "love" around like it's going out of style. No, you don't "love" your best friend's girlfriend, it's lust. Call me bitter if you'd like.

At least they managed to use the word "bourgeoisie" in there somewhere, which is a pretty damn cool word!

Despite all of its flaws, I'm strangely attracted to this show and I don't know why. I'll be tuning in next week to see what happens.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, looks like it didn't do so well in the ratings.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...54ab3f14a8730f

According to the article, it's doubtful that it'll make it to the next episode!
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Has potential.

I have to say I was attracted to this show myself. It has a unique charm to it but is far from perfect. As said above, there are lots of flaws; Too many awkward unrealistic moments - But for me they don't ruin the story and i can look past it. The concept is still good enough. Perhaps they can work this out as the series progresses and stop trying to force moments so much.

Was it just me or did the girl who was playing a bad actor seem like an actual bad actor in real life? -Maybe a little too Genuine there. She will have to redeem herself or they will need to kill her off. However, The main character, Bitsey does a good job. The other characters are potentially OK but could get annoying.

I thought it was funny that they kids were so excited about there first job out of film school. Reminded me of my first job out of film school, which was, identically, a local car dealer tv commercial. I myself once tried to make my own camera crane out of two by fours. Haha. What ammies. Maybe Im byas and that was the only reason i liked it. But for me it seemed to sort of have the same kind of style and feel as My so called life, which is from the same creators. Abit, 'My so called life had better characters.

This show has potential. I think it will make it. I watch a lot of pilots just because i like making bets about which ones will be canceled. So far this season I have predicted that Bionic woman would get caned, along with the Journey man, and that Caveman show. I also predicted that carpoolers would make it. But just barely. So far its still on air.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
At least they managed to use the word "bourgeoisie" in there somewhere, which is a pretty damn cool word!

Didn't see the show. Please tell me they didn't pronounce it "burr-geo'-sea" <grin>.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Blah

So I just watched the premiere. I was excited by the show because Thirty-Something was a great series. I went on line to see whether or not they used HVXs which it seems they have (which it looked like....kinda soft....but okay), but I can't say I'll continue watching. The characters were way too cliched and I couldn't help but think "why do I care about these people". I think the production values actually hurt the show. If it looked better than maybe I'd care less about the supposed realism that just isn't real at all, or if they kept the style but had characters worth caring about, then maybe that'd work.

Just my Awake in the Dark rant.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Kino-Eye

It's certainly not television, and without the community site experience, it's only a small piece of a larger whole that may not work well all by itself. Marshall Herskovitz said at the Harvard Business School's 2008 Media and Entertainment Conference:

[...] I did it differently, and low and behold you know what? It ain’t a television show, and it was proven last night it was not a television show (laughter in the room), it’s too specific for a big network, and that’s fine, cause we’re going to find a home for it, that will work for what we do [...]

For a longer version of the quote and some commentary, see my post "The flip side of the quarterlife flop" at
http://kino-eye.com/2008/02/29/flip-...rterlife-flop/

Last edited by David Tamés; March 4th, 2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: fix misspelling
David Tamés is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark