Jerky Steadicam on "Idol" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Jerky Steadicam on "Idol"

Anyone see that very-noticeable Steadicam jerk to the left on Kristi Lee Cook, during the Beatles medley last night? I thought a cable got stepped on or something. They recovered quick but I hope no one lost their job.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Trustee

I saw that too and thought it was a great recovery. Looked to me like either the op ran into something or someone clipped him on their way past.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just looked the shot up on YouTube. Really a shame since it's such good operating for the entire duration of the song. My guess is the gal that had just exited frame walked into the rig. There didn't appear to be anything around for the operator to run into. Cables are usually tethered from rig to the operator, and then to the ground so if one was stepped on or tripped over, it would only pull on the operator, not the rig. Typically when the operator bumps the rig himself, it's the knee hitting the base of the sled, knocking it out to the side, resulting in a quick rock in the horizon. What I see in the Idol shot is the lens being snapped out to the left and slightly up - definitely what it would do if someone ran into it.

On more than one occasion, an actor or extra has walked straight into me or my rig. You'd think, as big and flashy as we are on set, you'd be the last thing they'd run into. It's surprising every time. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of serious slices on foreheads from people running into matteboxes and eyebrows.
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the insight. I agree it looked pretty cool otherwise.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Just watched it on youtube. Too bad, it was excellent work. Still is, just has that one flaw in it. It would be very interesting as an operator to work on a segment like that.
James Hooey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark