DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   The Hulk and the English-WARNING! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/11864-hulk-english-warning.html)

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 01:30 PM

The Hulk and the English-WARNING!

I surf a lot of sites, and tend to get sidetracked by curious headlines. This is just one of those-
http://www.thesun.co.uk//article/0,,...,00.html?yhnws

Ed Smith July 10th, 2003 01:49 PM

You have to laugh at those sort of stories. :-)

But just think, the movie just got some free publicity. And now you posting here has given it even more publicity.

Got any more Keith?

All the best,

Ed

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 02:17 PM

Ed- You'd be surprised at what I find! I have always been a comic fan since early on, so I have been following this new trend of Superhero movies with great interest. I have also been keeping tabs on all of the other comics that are bound for the big screen, most of which the general public don't know about yet. That is how I found that little gem.

Ironman, The Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider are all coming out over the next couple of years.

Mark Moore July 10th, 2003 03:51 PM

That's was a great article! Thanks for passing it on.

I too grew up on comics and have watched the progression of comic book-movies coming out. But I've been a bit disappointed. I haven't seen THE HULK yet (thought the trailers looked bad). I liked DAREDEVIL 'ok', and thought SPIDERMAN was good.

I'm just not sure how the others will be. I can only keep my fingers crossed (and pray!) that they will do them justice!

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 04:30 PM

I did see the Hulk, and was mildly dissapointed. Once again, they reinvented a storyline, and missed the mark. The worst part about it was, they spent a good portion of the film trying to tell the new story, and had very little of the Hulk. I also was unimpressed with the multiview split screens.

Daredevil was a bit better, because they remained truer to the storyline that was originally established. I'm just not sure which was sillier, Ben Affleck's haircut, or the costume.

Spiderman was the best of the three, as there was little deviation as well.

Ghost Rider has Nicholas Cage cast in the starring role, but again, I feel they will tinker with the story. But Nick Cage rocks.

George Clooney is whom the Director wants to star as Mr. Fantastic in the Fantastic Four. However, the character of Dr. Doom is being completely redone, so who knows.

And finally, there is no script yet, but they have expressed an interest in Tom Cruise as Tony Stark/Ironman. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

Matt Betea July 10th, 2003 04:48 PM

Haven't seen "The Hulk" and I don't plan too. But did they show this infamous "willy" in the movie? <g> I wonder why they would include it on a doll then.

For me, Tim Burton's BATMAN was the only recent superhero movie I cared for (besides Superman ). It seemed that the studio thought it was too "dark" for the Batman theme. You can definitely see a shift in the second one, Batman Returns. Shrek must be the highest payed CG character ever. He must have made a pretty penny playing the Hulk.

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 05:05 PM

No Mark, there was no giant green willy in the movie. As far as Batman goes, I agree it was a great movie. The fact that it was so dark is what made it great. It totally fit the original Dark Knight story. Of course, it didn't take them long to ruin it.

On the bright side, they are currently working on a new Batman movie, which will be a Year One origin type. Ashton Kutcher (Kelso from That 70's Show) was rumored to be the top choice for the role. Fortunately, it was just a rumor. Whew!

Hally Barry has also signed on to play lead role of Catwoman in a movie that is soon to be released. Ought to be cool.

Matt Betea July 10th, 2003 05:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : No Mark, there was no giant green willy in the movie. As far as Batman goes, I agree it was a great movie. The fact that it was so dark is what made it great. It totally fit the original Dark Knight story. -->>>

I completely agree with that. Hey, do you know of any work going on with Superman Lives? I remember hearing somethings about it a couple years ago. Since then I haven't heard anything.

K. Forman July 10th, 2003 05:30 PM

There is a new Superman movie in the works. Johnathon Frakes from Star Trek Next Generation was rumored to be onboard as Director. However, in a recent interview, he says " I would love to do it, but nobody has asked me."

It seems that is another of the many having problems getting off the ground, along with Captain America, Wonder Woman, and Silver Surfer.

Nigel Moore July 11th, 2003 03:56 AM

Don't forget X-Men...although it wasn't as good as some mentioned (notably the first Batman).

Not quite in the superhero genre, but comic stories brought to celluloid, if you haven't seen The Rocketeer and The Sadow, do yourselves a favour and ractify the situation.

I always wondered what happened to the Silver Surfer....that was my favourite Lee creation.

K. Forman July 11th, 2003 05:10 AM

Vin Diesel has voices an interest as the Silver Surfer.

As far as X Men, I had forgotten about them... It wasn't too bad, but the characters are all a bit one dimensional. Not to mention, they have also gone with the cartoon storyline, instead of the comics, which was much better.

The Rocketeer was thoroughly enjoyable, but I never read the comic. I have no way of knowing how it compared.

The Shadow is a different story all together. While I never read the comics, I have heard recordings from the radio show. The story wasn't bad, but the acting was.

And if you are going to hold those omiisions against me, what about the Phantom? Released a few years ago with Billy Zane in the lead role? The story was very good, and fairly faithful. The acting was o.k. All in all, I seem to have enjoyed it more than the critics did. They are also making plans for a new Phantom movie, set in more modern times.

Matt Stahley July 11th, 2003 06:17 AM

>" And finally, there is no script yet, but they have expressed an interest in Tom Cruise as Tony Stark/Ironman."<

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tony Stark Afro-American?

K. Forman July 11th, 2003 08:38 AM

No, Tony Stark is a white, industrial billionaire playboy with a bad heart and a drinking problem.

And the Kingpin was originally white, but the new Daredevil movie changed that with little trouble. Michael Clark Dunston did a wonderful job in that role.

Mark Moore July 11th, 2003 09:23 AM

I forgot about MCD's role as Kingpin. I agree he did a great job. In fact, I like about everything he has done.

Ving Rhames could have pulled it off too, I believe.

K. Forman July 11th, 2003 09:44 AM

The character of Kingpin required a very huge person. While Vhing is a big guy, he lacked the bulk. Michael Clark Dunston actually added a lot of weight and muscle mass to fill the role.