Stark Industries (Iron Man) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Stark Industries (Iron Man)

Caught an advance screening tonight (in Indianapolis, here on a quick job). In my opinion, best movie out of Hollywood so far this year. Robert Downey Jr. did a terrific job... Jeff Bridges abides, he abides. Thought the character development was great, the "final showdown" was a little too cartoonish and overly CGI'ed for me but I knew it would be going in. My only groaning moment was when Stark asked for a cheese burger... what he received should have been a Tommy Burger or an In 'N' Out instead of the predictable marketing tie-in. Plenty of laughs, a lot of fun, definitely want to have it on disc. Stick around after the credits roll for a little surprise... a special scene which the comic book fans will appreciate.

Two thumbs up,
Attached Thumbnails
Stark Industries (Iron Man)-img_1828.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

Damnit.... I was sure I could scoop everyone... including Heath "IRON MAN" McKnight..... and be the first DVinfo'er to report on Iron Man.

I'd go so far to say that this is one of the top three comic book movies of all time.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Let's just say I was in the right place at the right time.

In my opinion RDJ does as good a job in this as Maguire did in Spider-Man and Bale in Batman Begins.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Let's just say I was in the right place at the right time.
I was too... I just fell victim to beer... and Jager shots.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I wouldn't call that being victimized.

Oh wait. Jager? Yeah, you're a victim.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Iron Man

Very solid movie. RDJ nails Tony Stark, and the one liners were good wth his delivery.

Some good character development, although I think it could have been stronger on Obadiah, and especially Pepper and Happy.

Nice cinematography, tight cgi, I liked the textures, colors, framing, movement. Very very sweet.

Decent plot, only a couple things I thought weren't necessary. Pacing, a litle slow at the start, but it is an origin movie, and what seemed to be a rushed climax - would have preferred a little more meat there.

Very nice surprise at the end, but I expected it.

Definitely one of the best comic book movies ever. Going to be interesting to see which holds up best this year: Iron Man, Hellboy, Batman, or Hulk.

Definitely a must see!

K.
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I loved it, and I'm not an 'initiate' in the canon. So I had no preconcieved ideas of who was supposed to be what. I thought it flowed very well. RDJ is superb, and he's definately latched onto a real franchise.

Yeah - among the top five ComicMovies evah.

As a side note, the trailer for INDY looked great, the trailer for BATMAN left me speechless, the trailer for Speed Racer left me nauseated, and the trailer for HULK - meh, I could care less about seeing it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I actually can't stand comic book movies, but I really loved Iron Man...which kinda says something about the quality of this film.

Great amount of time spent on character, clever script, BRILLIANT performance by RDJ (as always) and a surprising LACK of action, which is great - it gave them more time to tell a decent story for a change

My only real complaints are Pepper....her character just seemed really shallow and lame...and the climax, which was somewhat anti-climatic. And man, the very last line (not counting the bit after the credits).....that was a great moment :P
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Advanced screening? I thought everyone saw it that day. They always have movies playing earlier and earlier before their release dates these days.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Yep, excellent movie. I can't wait for Iron Man 2. The length was good too, they didn't shorten it. I agree Chris, was that a Burger King Hamburger? hehe.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Wrangler

Count me in the not-a-fan-of-comic-book movies group but I too thought this was a lot of fun. Between the script, Favreau's direction and the actor's chops, I feel like there were so many great, subtle, natural moments that I usually find lacking in this genre virtually by definition. Like Chris I was ambivalent about the final battle as the performances took a backseat to the CGI, which at this point has gotten so good that it's no longer a thing to marvel at (no pun intended, but apologies for ending the sentence with a preposition).

Looked great too. Matty Libatique did a fine job as always. I had a bunch of pals in the camera dept. on that one.

Edit: forgot to mention, those in the LA area will enjoy seeing it at the Arclight because, well, it's the friggin' Arclight, but also because the Iron Man suit is on display in the lobby (check out the LCD arrays in the eyes of the mask and chest unit). I heard the Audi in the film was out front in the opening weekend.
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #12
Major Player

I couldn't have imagined ANYONE else playing Tony Stark, he nailed it. Can't wait Edward Norton as the Hulk though, and I'm even more excited to see this year's Batman installment with Christian Bale.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Edward Nortons "HULK" doesn't do a thing for me. I'm not a fan of "Hulk" anyway.

And the BATMAN franchise has always been about "The Villains". True for the campy old Adam West TV series of course, but also true about the line of movies as well. Part of that is the limitations placed on a rigidly masked character - anybody can be in the Batsuit - while the villains get to emote and act in the scene. But mostly it's because once we understand the origins of Batmans existence (the reason why origin films are so interesting) - then the emotional journey is almost always more interesting on the Villains side.

Yeah, definitely looking forward to Heath Ledgers curtain call.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark