DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Slumdog Millionaire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/138424-slumdog-millionaire.html)

Scott Lovejoy November 25th, 2008 09:11 AM

Slumdog Millionaire

Not only was this shot digitally (yay!) it's an amazing movie.

It's a classic story (boy loves girl) turned on its head. In recent years it's rare that I come out of a movie wanting to stay around for the next showing, but this one did that for me. It keeps you hooked the whole time, and doesn't let go until it's over.

Go take a peak if you have the chance.

Jay Kavi January 30th, 2009 01:09 AM

Scott, my sentiments exactly. I came in skeptical b/c of all the hype, the but story and the overall energy of the film just got me.

Bill Mecca January 30th, 2009 11:12 AM

my wife and I had a "date night" recently, as her mother was going to watch the little ones. We looked at what was available in the local theatres and didn't see much. I had never heard of SlumDog Millionaire, but it sounded interesting and we took a chance. Am I ever glad we did! a few days later it won what 3 Golden Globes? Now some SAG awards and Oscar nominations. yet I still see no advertisements for it, I find that odd.

It was a wonderful picture, great story and I loved the format, jumping back and forth. I've reccomended it to everyone I can.

Sherif Choudhry March 8th, 2009 10:52 AM

No hollywood stars?

I too thought the cinematography was lively, vigorous and incredibly energetic - I will be buying the soundtrack which is fantastic. Its getting huge promo here in the UK.

Perhaps Slumdog is not getting the US promotion because there aren't any major hollywood stars in lead roles? So the whole PR machinery simply isnt there?

Maybe if the lead roles had gone to seth rogen and britney spears? (!)

I for one am glad its all relative newcomers that were used in some of the key roles - frankly do we need to see another nicholas cage or robert de niro vehicle? Sometimes actors should admit when they've said all they can (as brilliant as cage and de niro were).

Anyway its a shame its not getting more promo in the US.

Joseph Kassana March 17th, 2009 09:53 AM

I thought it was a good movie. Mostly I'm happy for the small indie british actors and makers.

Moreso on the story, for the 'western' movie demographic this is a unique movie.
For someone like me who grew up on bollywood, this is standard bollywood stuff, nothing original here.

But I can get why people like it. I like it. I just think it's nothing magnificent.

Michael Wisniewski March 17th, 2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Kassana (Post 102906)
For someone like me who grew up on bollywood, this is standard bollywood stuff, nothing original here. But I can get why people like it. I like it ...

Your post made me smile. I'm constantly city-hopping around the world, and it's really interesting to see which movies get people really excited. Slumdog does seem to have hit a bigger nerve in 1st world countries. My friends based in Asia liked it, but it just didn't move them as much as my American and European based friends. My Asian based friends all agree it's a very good movie, but the general consensus seems to be - it's too similar to the world outside of the cinema and they'd rather see something that takes them away from that reality for awhile.

Noel Lising March 17th, 2009 01:50 PM

I enjoyed Slumdog but in my opinion Button deserves Best Pic.

Jeff Harper April 16th, 2009 04:19 AM

If you like Bollywood stuff, check out Bride and Prejudice if you haven't seen it. It's a cheesy story, to be sure, but the dance numbers are among my favorite of all Bollywood movies I've seen.