"Entre les murs" ("The Class" US title) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old November 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Major Player

"Entre les murs" ("The Class" US title)

Has anyone seen this 08 Cannes winner ?

Any opinions on style and substance ? I had to keep reminding myself throuhout that this is a fiction film, not a docu.

Filmed in HDV, apparently.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:03 AM   #2
New Boot

Just saw Entre les murs/The Class yesterday. It's a fascinating film. Is it a documentary or is it a scripted fictional film? The answer is a definitive "yes". It blurs the lines between those styles capturing the spontaneity and realism of a documentary combined with the richly textured story arc of a scripted narrative. Shot handheld with 3 HD cams, all the action occurs within the confined space of the school ("Entre les murs" translates to "Between the Walls" in English) covering events within a class during a single school year.

In a terrific performance, the teacher is played by the teacher who wrote an autobiographical book about his experiences as a teacher - is he acting or is he just teaching? The press kit on the official website (SONY PICTURES CLASSICS | THE CLASS) has an interview with director Laurent Cantet and François Bégaudeau, the teacher who wrote the book and appears in the film as himself. The interview describes some of the process of putting this film together - though I'm glad I saw the film before reading the interview because part of my fascination watching the film was trying to figure out what was real and what was fiction.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark