DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Blu-ray disc recommendations? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/140476-blu-ray-disc-recommendations.html)

Heath McKnight December 29th, 2008 05:10 PM

Blu-ray disc recommendations?

Hey all,

Like many of us, I received a nice Blu-ray for Christmas, and I'm ready to start collecting Blu-ray Discs (BDs)! I already own The Dark Knight (the IMAX stuff is incredible) and The Incredible Hulk (I bought Iron Man on DVD, but will get the BD soon), but does anyone have recommendations?

I'm guessing Pixar, right? How about some great IMAX BDs? Now I'm not going to just start re-collecting a bunch of my favorite movies in BD (well, maybe some), but I can't help but think about what Matt Groening wrote in the first Simpsons DVD set, way back in 2001, where he said we'll be collecting the DVDs until the next format comes along.

Thanks,

Heath

ps-Criterion is finally going BD: Criterion Collection Blu-ray Discs It's a shame I already own their two versions of The 3rd Man, one of my all-time favorite films.

Jack Zhang December 30th, 2008 01:41 AM

Pixar Blu-rays will look a lot better than their DVD cousins. Get those and even think about getting the earliest MUSE 1035i Hi-Vision stuff on Blu-ray. Over California from Topics Entertainment is a good bet, shot with equipment such as the Sony HDD-1000 1'' HD deck back in the 1980s and 1994.

Mitchell Lewis December 30th, 2008 03:31 AM

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - AVS Forum

Khoi Pham December 30th, 2008 10:14 AM

For a jaw dropping wow of details, you should get Crank, if you want to see great colors get Curse of the golden flowers, for pretty scenes get Bikini Destination "triple fantasy"
for great use of surround tracks get Black Hawk Down, War. For kids get that Rataoulile movie, great sound and picture and story.

Heath McKnight December 30th, 2008 10:15 AM

Thanks for the tips!

heath

John McPaul December 30th, 2008 03:56 PM

Sharkwater is spectacular on Blu-Ray, it is not a film but a documentary, quite an exciting one though. The underwater footage really pop and the detail visible is fantastic.

Cheers John

Alex Sprinkle December 31st, 2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 986077)
...for pretty scenes get Bikini Destination "triple fantasy"

I don't think my wife would appreciate those pretty scenes.

Khoi Pham December 31st, 2008 10:26 AM

Your wife is not very understanding, (-: but really there are some beautiful beaches, sunset, lake, desert in the background, just look at the whole picture and not just what is in the foreground, heh heh.

Mitchell Lewis December 31st, 2008 10:42 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Planet Earth on Blu-Ray. Is there anything better? :)

Khoi Pham December 31st, 2008 11:12 AM

Most of the scenes in Planet Earth is great but there also quite a few that were upconvert from standard def camera, major artifacts from the helicopter scenes where the dark area flicker, both of these problems were confirm by them, the helicopter scenes they said they didn't realize it until too late, and so it is not one that I would recommend.

John C. Chu December 31st, 2008 12:12 PM

I would recommend:

2001: A Space Odyssey and Bladerunner: The Final Cut
and Peter Jackson's King Kong when available.

[Who needs Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray...when King Kong is this entertaining].

If you are Elvis fan, check out "Viva Las Vegas"

Daniel Browning December 31st, 2008 12:25 PM

My favorites on Blu-ray:
  • Everything by Pixar, including the Animated Shorts disc.
  • Band of Brothers
  • I Am Legend
  • I Robot (lots of neat Blu-ray features)
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Pirates of the C. 1 through 3.
  • Castaway
  • Black Hawk Down
  • Patriot
  • Tears of the Sun
  • A Christmas Story
  • Planet Earth
  • Sunrise Earth

Joseph Kassana January 2nd, 2009 06:13 AM

Transformers is stunning on Blu Ray!

Tripp Woelfel January 7th, 2009 08:11 AM

"We Were Soldiers". The images leaped out of the screen and the 5.1 was unbelievable. Just make sure your neighbors are out of town. (grin)

Garrett Low January 7th, 2009 11:41 AM

300. There's nothing like seeing high def beheadings and blood splattering.