The curious case of Benjy Button at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The curious case of Benjy Button

What a movie! I mean the story the pace was just right, and when it ended it was heart-wrenching.

From a digital cinema perspective, it was one of the most beautiful digital films to look at. Great lighting and set design. I think Che is the best digital cinema movie this year though.
Joseph Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I feel like Fincher could have achieved far more had he distanced himself from the material, and taken a slightly less earnest and straight-forward approach.

I also felt the "Hurrican Katrina" framing device was rather bludgeoning and poorly executed and the humming bird metaphore almost made me laugh out loud in the theater. However it's an interesting film. Not the best film of the year in my opinnion, but worth a viewing for the technical prowess and some decent performances.

Fincher usually knows what he is doing and I expect more from him, but I wouldn't say "don't see it!" Worth the price of admission, but not much more.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I actually thought it was rather restrained, I expect an epic to be more bittersweet and soft, but Fincher held back.

Blame the bittersweet on Eric Roth, a master screenwriter.

I know Fincher is rather clinical in his approach to film making but I;m glad he showed some heart in this. He's know Kubrick and that's a good thing.
Joseph Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #4
Major Player

I have to go with Joseph on the it being one of the best looking (digital or otherwise) films of last year. The early indoor scenes and the hotel scene had an indescribable warmth. The film overall was great too, leaned a bit too much into Forrest Gump territory toward the middle, but the last third was excellent.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark