Your Favorite(s) Movie....and why? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #46
Wrangler

I wouldn't put it in my all time top ten, but the best film I saw in 2003 was Dogville. Who's seen it?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #47
RED Code Chef

Haven't seen that yet, but your recommendation just added it
to my list!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #48
Wrangler

Last week I wrote in this thread about the negative audience reaction to the original Soviet version of Solaris at last year's Case Science Fiction Marathon. I was amused to see at this year's Marathon this past weekend that "I survived Solaris" had been made the official slogan printed on the posters and t-shirts!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:42 AM   #49
Regular Crew

practically any and everything by Gilliam, most notably Brazil, Baron Munchausen, Fear and Loathing, and Time Bandits of course. Brazil was actually the first Gilliam film I saw and when I saw the shot of the old drunk towering over the buildings holding a flask and I couldn't stop laughing. Saw F&L 4 times in the theater and got kicked out twice for laughing. I hope he gets funding for another film soon.

Brakhage's Mothlight-call me a sucker for unusual techniques.

McLaren's Neighbors-famed for the pixilation technique he used, it's as much a political statement as it is a fable/morality tale.

Lynne Ramsey's Ratcatcher-the pace felt like falling into a warm relaxing bath despite the degraded, yet beautiful look and off-beat storyline (or the way it was handled). Stunning cinematography...a few of her shorts on the Criterion are really excellent as well. Have yet to see Morvern Callar...still need to.

Fantastic Planet-although the English dubbed version is a bit cheese at time, the cut out animation is great. I actually saw this when I was a child and forgot about it completely until I rediscovered it a few years ago. Colored pencils never looked better on the screen.

Human Nature-it gets a bad rap for supposedly being the weakest Charlie Kaufman script, but I don't see it. I don't get why more people don't appreciate the audacity and off-beat manner of this film. Michel Gondry has done some great work in the past and present, but didn't go overboard with his usual technical trickery on it like other video directors do (although it is stylised somewhat). I just like the conversation-like way the narrative is laid out for the viewer.

I'm sure there are more but I don't think I've seen any of these mentioned. I saw someone listed Real Genius on the thread and I have to fully agree--what a fun movie, whenever it's on TV I watch it. I love the generic forgettable 80s music soundtrack going on it also.
Michael Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:27 AM   #50
Trustee

This thread has gotten a lot of response!

I forgot my #1 favorite film of all time...it's Rocky!

Upon reflection after reading all these posts - it made me think about how film has the ability to change your life. It dawned on me that I forgot to mention my favorite film - Rocky. It has one of the most personal stories with an amazing ending in the history of cinema. It's about a man who realizes he's not a bum - even though he still loses. That is real life at its purest form - we're all losers throughout life at certain points. But, when you except it and yet can still keep your head up...you've won the game of life.

Life imitating art and vise versa have always had a profound effect on me, so Rocky takes the cake.

Anyone else like Rocky too? The story behind the making of Rocky is great too. If you get a chance got to Sly Stallone's personal website - he actually posted the story behind Rocky on his site. It's actually cool - he posts stuff on there himself.

http://www.sylvesterstallone.com/

also

http://www.rockythemovie.com/

Murph
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:27 AM   #51
Major Player

Rocky kicks ass. Yes. One of the best films made I think. Perfect. You know, I dig Stallone, I hate to see his career go off in the wrong direction. The original First BLood was great as well.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:42 AM   #52
Trustee

Yeah, Stallone definately has talent. But, I think the 70's and 80's were his primetime..although, he had a few decent action genre films in the 90's. If he were smart he'd do Rocky VI, but completely do it independent on a $1,000,000 budget like the original Rocky. He could write a script based on a former boxer that goes back to NY city to help inner city kids. Instead of Rocky actually boxing he almost becomes like Mickey...and the story would be rock solid because he's not trying to be who he's not. Maybe it's Rocky having an inner struggle with his age..or not wanting to get old? That's a great story for anyone to connect to over 40 or 50, so he'll get his original audience to go along. (Most of the people who saw Rocky as an adult have to be at least 40+ now - the film is almost 30 years old!) It would be a huge mistake to do Rocky VI and try and get a new audience with lots of the same re-hash fighting. I bet he'd get lots of respect if he wrote a great story about a former champion getting old...who better to play it than Rocky?

Ok, maybe there's a robbery or something bad happens in a store. Rocky shows his true character and kicks a guys ass. Yeah, just one street brawl fight for old times sake!) lol

My 2 cents..

Murph
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:14 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip about the Rocky story Murph, I just finished it and it was a great read! Now I have to rent the movie and watch it again.

For others interested it's under the biography section as "the Official Rocky Scrapbook".

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM   #54
Trustee

Thanks Brian, I should have posted the exact location.

It is a good read huh? I really liked how he wrote that - it's something I wanted to know. That movie didn't really get proper DVD treatment even the 2nd time around with Special Edition. I would have loved to hear that story on DVD commentary.

Murph
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM   #55
RED Code Chef

I gotta throw a little bone here. I've been pondering a bit over
my alltime favorite movie. And the one that is currently rising
high on my list is probably going to shock quite a lot of people
so to speak: Meet Joe Black.

It will be hard for me to name one absolute top since I love so
much movies. But somehow I keep getting back (emotionally)
to that movie. Something draws me in a bit more then a lof of
the other movies do. The funny thing is that I've read a couple
of reviews and responses from people that almost hated that
movie.

Any people like it (that?) much as well? Can't stand it? Etc.?

Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:14 AM   #56
Wrangler

I enjoyed Meet Joe Black quite a bit. I think it's a very sensual film. Indulgently so? Yes. But if the audience has the patience for it...

What makes the film for me is the shock laugh about ten minutes in.

Quote:
The [newspaper] editor drove out to the studio and, per the promise, he was the only person in the screening room. Three hours later, he was numb. Also a bit angry. The movie he had seen was astonishingly dull. He felt as though his sensibilities had taken a pounding. He decided to head home, have a drink and then decide what he would say to Casey Silver in the morning.
Silver had something else in mind as he materialized suddenly in the doorway of the screening room. "What did you think?" he asked.
The editor never expected there'd be an instant confrontation. "I must tell you honestly, Casey, I just hated the movie. Hated it."
"Well, you're wrong. You know that. I mean, I respect you're opinion, but you're dead wrong."
"And I respect yours," he mumbled. "I have just one word of friendly advice. There's a wonderful editor named Billy Weber. He worked with Marty Brest on his last film. If I were in your shoes, I would call Billy and beg him to take an hour out of this movie. At two hours it has a chance. I know you didn't want to hear that..."
"An hour! You've got to be kidding!"
"Look, Casey, we made a deal. I will live by it. No one will know I saw this movie. Except my wife, perhaps. I have to explain to her why I'm so grumpy."
Casey Silver managed a pained smile. "Look, thanks," he offered. I appreciate your taking the time."
The editor never learned why he had been asked to see the movie under these circumstances--whether a controversy was raging within the studio and Casey was looking for outside support or what. Meet Joe Black was released to a dim reception, and, not long thereafter, Casey Silver was also released as production chief at Universal.
--from Shoot Out, by Peter Bart and Peter Guber

Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:52 AM   #57
RED Code Chef

Wow, that's sad. But I can imagine. A lot people have complained
about the length. I do find you must be prepared to watch that
long (just like with Lord of the Rings). Otherwise you will loose
interest fast. I don't know. It just connected to me somehow. Heh.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:29 AM   #58
MPS Digital Studios

I remember when that happened, 1998. A lot of directors had final cut, so much so it made the magazines. For better or worse, these movies came out and tanked, MEET JOE BLACK being the only one I can remember.

The director, Martin Brest, just did GIGLI, so he's probably looking at Target for work. Just kidding.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark