Movies We Didn't Like. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Julien Donkey-Boy. Very disturbing. Filmed in digital video (natch) with alot of the work being done in post.

I love "artsy" movies... but this was one that tried too hard to be "artsy". It overdoses on "bizarre".

One famous name... Chloe Sevigny.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:51 PM   #32
Inner Circle

"Battle Field Earth" hands down the worst movie I've ever seen. The only one I ever asked for my money back.

And got it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:07 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I've never walked out on a movie, but I came close to walking out on "To Die For" and "Natural Born Killers". I would have if I had not gone with other people.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:32 PM   #34
Wrangler

I found a new ultimate worst movie ever.

It's called "Latin Kingz". I rented it because I saw a trailer on another cheesy B movie, and it looked so bad I couldn't not rent it.

It truly was the wost steaming pile of excrement of a "film" I've ever seen. I honestly thought it was a highschool video 101 project, until I watched the featurette and it was directed by a real grown up adult male and actually had a crew of adult people.

Plus I've never seen a feature film that was shot 100% without any lighting at all. Even Blair Witch Project had flashlights... It might have been an experiment in backlighting though, who knows.

It was so bad I watched the first 15 minutes then hit the FF button on the DVD player and watched the rest in 60x speed.

On the other hand, it was a great inspiration, since if they could get that into a video store, I should have no trouble.

The worst part, their "second unit camera" was an XL1. Shame.... I wont be listing it as "movies made with an XL1" anytime soon. The main camera was an unidentified shoulderbrick. Maybe VHS, because the quality was terrible, worse than the 2nd unit stuff.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:40 PM   #35
New Boot

How about movies that are painful to watch, like Liquid Sky, Eraserhead or Naked Lunch. These films have their artistic merits yet subject us to a sensory beating.

The more visceral films of David Cronenberg also make me pretty uncomfortable.

Michael
Michael Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Gaaawwwwd!!!! LIQUID SKY! I forgot all about that flick!

Verrrry strange. Artsy, yes. That is the type of movie that you want to smoke some sort of illegal substance before viewing it.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:12 PM   #37
Regular Crew

The matrix's story was definitely off, but the SFX were amazing. The 100 smith scene--there is nothing like it. And the water explosions at the end of revolutions were stunning. Unfortunately the plot.....

Worst of all time in my book-
Gangs of New York- he cut some meat and what...???
That space movie with the bugs a few years back. Cant remember name..
Battlefield Earth
Basic- either really good and I'm stupid or they couldnt think of an ending so they just made 1500 twists.
A Tigger Movie and Godzilla 2000- not sure why I went to these, but they stand as the only movies i have ever walked out of.
Charlies Angels- Only movie I have ever fallen asleep in- and i wasnt tired

on the other hand i really liked Dude Where's my car. subtle comic genious IMO.
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:28 PM   #38
Major Player

Hey, don't be dissin' one of the best stories of all time---The Matrix. I admit not caring for the second one when I saw it but once I realized its tie in with the other two, awesome. Perfect ending to a perfect story. Amazing.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #39
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jonathan Stanley :
That space movie with the bugs a few years back. Cant remember name..[/quote]
You better not be talking about Starship Troopers, or I'll find you and make you take it back in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Quote:
A Tigger Movie and Godzilla 2000- not sure why I went to these, but they stand as the only movies i have ever walked out of.
-->>>
Do you mean just "Godzilla", with Matt Broderick? Not "Godzilla 2000", I hope, since it was only released to video in North America. G2000 was very enjoyable for me as an original Godzilla fan, as it was in the classic style, but the Broderick version was terrible. Worse than terrible. Even with Jean Reno.

Not sure aobut Tigger Movie, but the sequel to Lilo and Stitch sucked. I stopped watching it.

Anyway, compared to Latin Kingz, all these movies are Citizen Kane.
Old April 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #40
Regular Crew

YESSS Starship Troopers!!!! AHHHHH I hated that movie with passion. Sorry it just didnt click with me or something.

I did mean the Broderick version of the film. I forgot about the Japanese version that was actually called Godzilla 2000, or i got them confused or something. That version was entertaining just because i think the japanese are halarious (in a good way).

As for the Matrix plot in the sequels, what bothers me most is not that they were so bad, it just that they tried to force it IMO. They always said they had the trilogy in their minds from day one--they didnt. They and George Lucas could have a "lets make up a sequel on the spot" party. (Or prequel)
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #41
Major Player

All three did tie together. In fact, The second rolls right into the third without stopping and unless you saw the second you wouldn't understand the start of the third.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #42
Regular Crew

About Schmitt,

I forced myself to watch the first 20 minutes and when I just couldn't stand it any longer I hit max FF. I was somehow hoping to find a spot in the movie that looked good, but every time I stopped the FF I was sorry. One of the only movies I absolutely could not stand.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #43
Air China Pilot

Two films by Frank Darabont, based upon Stephen King stories:

The Shawshank Redemption,
The Green Mile

Both of these are the most mawkish, contrived films that attempted to be about something SERIOUS that I've ever seen. I've had friends come up to me and their eyes get misty when they talk about that film. And I bite my tongue.

Definition of "mawkish":
1. bathetic, drippy, hokey, maudlin, mawkish, mushy, schmaltzy, schmalzy, sentimental, slushy -- (effusively or insincerely emotional; "a bathetic novel"; "maudlin expressons of sympathy"; "mushy effusiveness"; "a schmaltzy song"; "sentimental soap operas"; "slushy poetry")

I reserve most of my hatred for the second film which features what some call "the Magic Negro". This is a character whose only purpose is to provide some kind of lesson, advice or contrivance to the other characters. Michael Clarke Duncan's character (nothing wrong with his acting) is literally the magic negro. He has no real depth in his character, he is just there to help the other characters along. He could have been an alien and angel or any other sort of supernatural character who doesn't really have a motive or own desire. His purpose is there to serve the other people. Yet, The Green Mile is supposed to have some sort of message about the death penalty but there is nothing about the character to indicate he is even alive.

The Shawshank Redemption was like The Green Mile without the magic negro. Like the Green Mile it seemed to be an exercise in period photography. All the 'meaningful' scenes were ratched up with an excess of sentiment just in case the audience didn't get that there was some sort of injustice or turn of the character. The bad characters were extremely evil, the good characters were saints. The plot movements could be seen coming from miles away.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #44
Air China Pilot

on Starship Troopers

I know a lot of people who hated "Starship Troopers" until they were told that it was actually a satire. Some of Paul Verhoven's American works are satires on the society he works in. "Robocop" was the most blatant example until "Starship Troopers" came along. I laughed from beginning to end. It's quite likely that some of the studio executives didn't get it either.
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #45
Major Player

Keith you dont like Shawshank? Im speechless. Its okay I guess; my sister in law doesnt like Braveheart.
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark