The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:06 AM   #1
Trustee

The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Film

I started to mention this film in the Lost in Translation thread, but figured it warrants its own thread.

Who else loved this film?! I can't say enough good things about it. Jim Carrey was astonishingly good. Kate Winslet was wonderful. The writing was Charlie Kaufmann's best work yet, I daresay, and the entire look/feel and music selection was A1.

Every once in a while I see a film that makes me like it so much that as I leave the theater I get this overwhelming urge to run to the filmmaker and thank them for making it.

Focus Features is the new Miramax. (Remember when you used to be able to go to a Miramax film and trust that regardless of anything, it would at least be a quality film? This is how I now feel about Focus).
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:10 AM   #2
Wrangler

Agreed. Loved it. Inspiration filmmaking.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I forgot that was out!
hows it doing box-office?
If people walk out of another serious Jim Carrey movie saying: "He wasnt very funny... I didnt like it." ... well ... screw them anyway. hes had two of the best "bombs" of recent times and is still doing what he knows to be good films. Give the "explostions and dick and fart jokes" audience something once in a while, but that not his bread and butter anymore.
Trailers sounded alittle like Vanillia Sky...
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Trustee

They seem to have some box office results listed here...

http://movies.go.com/boxoffice/

$8.5 mil for the weekend is very decent considering it's basically a small indie with limited release (less than half the screens of Dawn of the Dead which took top bucks this weekend). And I'm willing to bet it will get excellent word of mouth and keep the box office results going for quite some time.

But most importantly - it's a great film!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Eternal Sunshine....go see it!

Hey, it's a great film with lots of "thinking" needed. Unlike most of the drool out there, so support good filmmakers and go see their movies.

I wasn't even in a "movie" mood last night, but I went to see Eternal Sunshine anyway because of my civic duty for good filmmaking. I know that there are 10+ movies that I have to see in the next 3-4 months, so i have to spread them out...

Anyone else see some movies just "because they're filmmakers that need support"? I literally go see certain filmmakers because I know they need to get a certain B.O. result, so they can make another one. It's almost always a filmmaker with some type of "message" that I can see he's trying to get out. I'm a huge supporter for films that have a relevance...something that makes you leave the theatre and feel something...anything.

Murph
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM   #6
Major Player

A film that not only keeps the mind churning but is a visual playground for the eyes.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

I really enjoyed the movie indeed, need to re-watch it a couple
of times to better form an opinion though.

Jim was definitely awesome in it, very very good! He should have
won that oscar.

Did anyone else feel it looked a tad bit "video-ish"?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #8
Trustee

I believe the video-ish aspect is because of the large amount of digital post-work that was done on it.

This film is definitely in my top-10 of most-mentally-satisfying films of all time. It really shows the mastery of filmmaking that all the parties involved have attained.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Just rented it from blockbuster. Great movie and Jim was really good. The people that did the editing had their work cut out for them!!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark