Movies so bad, that they're actually..... good? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #31
Wrangler

"Dune" the movie. They used one of our digital cameras to scan the film anyplace the actor's eyes had to be 'spice-blue'. In spite of that, the film was so campy, it was great. It wasn't a great match to the book, I thought.
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #32
Contributor

I'm glad somebody else thought that movie was bad. Since David Lynch did it, it's not socially acceptable to criticize it. And, I love David Lynch films. Except for that one. I remember when I saw it, I said, "That dude has never read a science fiction book in his life."

Speaking of bad movies...there was a story on NPR this morning about a rerelease of the original Japanese "Godzilla." I have always heard the original was a good anti-nuclear bomb statement, but the U.S. version has never made that point very well. Turns out they sold the U.S. rights to an American schlockhouse, which very cleverly cut out 45 minutes of the Japanese and shot Raymond Burr on a soundstage in a 24 hour period and inserted him into the film and totally changed it into a monstercrap production that helped spawn all the bad sequels. The original is supposed to be showing now or soon in N.Y., with the original 45 minutes restored. Hopefully in Japanese with subtitles, but I didn't hear anything about that.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #33
Air China Pilot

"Dune" the movie is not good, to be sure. But I did like the cast, costumes and sets.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #34
Major Player

Lynch has never done it for me; although I did enjoy Twin Peaks I never have 'gotten' the hype.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #35
Contributor

I sorta like weirdness.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Anything with Vin Diesel in it.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #37
Contributor

He wasn't bad in Pitch Black. That was a very good Australian B movie. He didn't have to act much, just scowl and be muscular, and he did that OK.
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #38
Major Player

I thought Vin was great in Saving Private Ryan.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:20 PM   #39
New Boot

Sooo bad.. it is goood!

Seems that there are alot of movies out there that are just bad. I offer to the list "Fish in a Barrell" those lucky few who saw this little gem at the digidance film festival three or four years ago, you saw a truelly awfull film, yet one of the funniest films I've ever seen. For those who dont know digidance, it's one of the small side fetivals going on with Sundance in Park City Utah.
It just was released on dvd, (I have no idea how) and anyone who needs to see what can be made and entered into a festival should buy it. The cast has had some commercial work, and the female lead was the bleach blonde vampire in "Blade". It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I just can't put into words the train wreck that this movie is. And you will love it. Ofcourse the three hour open bar after the film might really be what I am remembering as such a great time, but nonetheless everyone should see this movie.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:46 AM   #40
New Boot

XANADU - I loved this film as a kid. Come on Oliva Newton John....

WARRIORS - Are they a gang, or a 70's Funk band? And a gang on roller skates? "Warriors, come out and PLAYYY"

COMMANDO - shoots 50 guys without aiming. No wonder he's our Gov.

To many to mention...
Leon Ortiz-Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:50 AM   #41
Regular Crew

The 80's version of the blob. Horrible film but tons of fantastic gore, feathered hair, goverment guys in hazmat suits...

I mean, a guy gets sucked down a sink drain.

Oh yeah, The Warriors rules by the way.

Oh, The Fly II, another poor film but the excessive goop and gore makes me leave it on everytime I'm just flipping through the channels.

And let's not forget Showgirls
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:59 AM   #42
Air China Pilot

Fly II: Best elevator squishing ever.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:44 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Right?!

Gotta love that.

For seventies sci-fi schlock you can't beat Barbarella either. Also, how bout Tobe Hooper's suckfest Life Force? Beautiful naked space vampire chick wandering around aimlessly turning people into exploding husks. Piss-poor yet for some reason highly watchable:)
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM   #44
Air China Pilot

I LOVE *Lifeforce*. Zombies. Space. Patrick Stewart. Nudity. Dykstra.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM   #45
Regular Crew

I forgot Patrick Stewart was in that!

I've almost forgotten the classics of the eighties C.H.U.D, It Lives, Basket Case and the Re-Animator (that last two of which actually rule).

Notice bad horror and sci-fi movies are watchable but when drama sucks it just plain sucks. No amount of camp can save it. Intentional camp also is deplorable and never works.

Oh crap, what about Prophecy? Not the Christopher Walken one but the '79 nuclear waste, giant trout, mutated monster bear movie. So bad that it's just plain bad.
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark