Top 10 movies you should watch ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 7th, 2002, 06:23 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I've got to recommend Momento to you all... a stunning film. Won't spoil it by mentioning anything other than the lead character (Guy Pierce) suffers from short term memory loss and is trying to find the guy who murdered his wife. Truly brilliant.

I'll also do along with Keith (Capt Quirk) O brother where art thou is fantastic as is Dogma.

And ditto Studio975: "Clerks (best work Kevin Smith ever did IMHO)", my personal favorite is Mallrats though

Also been recommended the film Angel Heart but i've not seen it yet.
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 09:56 AM   #17
doctorxex

Dead Alive, Reanimator, Frankenhooker, Bad Taste, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Legend of Hell House (this movie is *incredible*), Nekromantik (REALLY messed up), Hellraiser 1-4 (the 4th one, "bloodline," is a highly qualitable movie!), Delicatessen (WEIRD), Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead (one of the best sound tracks ever), Evil Dead II (and THEN I... Army of Darkness isn't nearly as good, no blood!), Kids, Julien Donkey Boy (harmony korine is a weirdo), Meet the Feebles, Redneck Zombies, Beware: Children at Play, Cannibal: The Musical...
err, yeah. can any one tell i'm a really big Skinny Puppy fan?
Old August 7th, 2002, 10:39 PM   #18
Wrangler

I forgot one of my favs...

DEATH RACE 2000!

Carradine, Stallone, cars, killin' and nekkid chicks. Truly a recipe for a great film.

Hey, doctorxex, a friend of mine has produced albums with Skinny Puppy. I've never met them, though I probably could if I bugged him to introduce me. However I'm not a big enough fan to want to. From what I hear, they've recently been dropped by their label.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:02 AM   #19
Outer Circle

"Dr. Strangelove" is one of my all time favourites.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:48 AM   #20
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

OK...as long as we're all confessing to movies we saw and liked...but don't necessarily want to admit to it...here's my list

*Brother from Another Planet - ("Honey, you gotta do something about your toenails")
*Disco Beaver from Outer Space - (Giant Alien Beaver invades NY)
*My Favorite Year - (Great dialogue)
*Some Girls - ("So what happens when you visit people for longer periods? Everybody winds up pregnant or dead.")
* Houseguest - (Sinbad)
*Local Hero - (Fun sleeper)
* The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!- ("Eemargency. Eemargency. Everybudy is to git frum street.")
* Viva Max! - (Modern day Mexican general takes back the Alamo)
* The Cat and the Canary - (Bob Hope oldie)

...oh man...I'm missing Blockbuster about now! Not exactly one in the neighborhood.
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:28 PM   #21
ChorizoSmells

Anyone seen movie by Alejandro Jodorowsky. El Topo, Holy Mountain, and my fav Santa Sangre. very trippy, great lines, "bury your mother's photograph and your first toy, okay, now you are a man." http://www.hotweird.com/jodorowsky/

Doctorxex, you would love the parade down the street with everyone holding up a large crucifix with a real skinned dog on it, about 90 or so dogs, can't make movies like that anymore. I think he filmed them all in Mexico because it was hell of cheap and plus he could do scenes like that. Forgot which movie that scene is from, maybe from El Topo. Now that I have a DVD player(region free also) I ought to start my DVD collection. That website also has a skinny puppy link on the links page:-)

Correction, it was flayed lambs and it was in Holy Mountain, check out the Holy Mountain images.

John, Tsutaya Video sucks, but there are small video shops that have cool movies. I saw Frankenhooker a long time ago, my friend here would love it, that's another one on the list to get.

You'll need the original Rollerball to show after DeathRace 2000.

in the 6th grade saw a film, The Velvet Vampire, a sort of vampire babe meets some bikers, with some nude scenes, don't remember most of it, but I know I liked it, anyone seen that movie?
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:39 PM   #22
Trustee

Ok, now I have to defend my fellow countryman from New Zealand here :)

BadTaste is an awesome movie! I loved it when I first saw it about 10 years ago and watched it again the other week and still loved it. In a totally superior league to Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes - but then maybe only another New Zealander would say that <grin>

It's "budget" but very funny and well done. I watched the making of docco that came with the DVD and it was quite insipring. He always found solutions to the problems that they faced. Hey, making a latex mask mould of your face by holding your breath and plunging it into a bowl of dental amalgam for as long as you could has to be admired :)

And of course, he went on to make Frighteners, Brain Dead (Dead alive in the US) and of course Lord of the Rings.

Some of my other favourites have to be:

- Army of Darkness
- Naked Lunch
- Hellraiser 1
- TRON
- Bladerunner
- The Day the Earth Stood Still.
- Planet of the Apes (original one with Charlton Heston)
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:58 AM   #23
Wrangler

Yep, Rollerball right after Death Race 2000.
I can't bring myself to watch the new Rollerball. Hell, I even have a hard time just calling it Rollerball.

Velvet Vampire sounds great!

My favorite movie of ALL TIME from childhood: Race For Your Life Charlie Brown.

Other guilty pleasures. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 and #3.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:24 AM   #24
ChorizoSmells

my wife and I got free tickets to see the "new" rollerball, it sucked big time, plus with all the high speed action filmed up close, it was almost as bad as the blairwitch cam. only other movie that almost made me sick watching, I got a slight headache actually, was the handheld camera work on Dancer in the dark, great movie but he should have used a tripod.
Old August 9th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Once upon a time in America. Robert De Niro.

Enough said

Peter.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 07:59 AM   #26
New Boot

Hey Peter,

It's okay to admit to this one since some critics consider it a masterpiece. I worked on this movie both in Florida and New York. Got to drive De Niro, Sergio Leone and his family, and the D.P. around in Florida (not at the same time, Leone was huge.) De Niro asked if I minded if he smoked a cigar, and I said, "Yes." He lit up anyway! He's a cool guy though. (I was trying to protect the interior of my 1956 Chevy.)

Movies I like but don't always admit to:

Caddyshack
Every John Wayne movie ever made
The Chinese Connection
Wizard of Oz
Mothra
7th Voyage of Sinbad
The Wolfman

Christine
Christine Noguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:14 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Christine

If thats a Convertable, I'm getting devorsed & comming out to marry you.
I agree with with all Big Johns Movies, I'm a litte astounded at most of the choices on this thread, we're not all anoraks.

Regards

Peter.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:30 AM   #28
New Boot

Hi Peter,

Sorry, you'll have to see my ex about the convertible (and my 5 other '56 Chevys.) Yes, the choices on this thread are pretty interesting...oops, I forgot South Park - Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

But since some people are including their art house favorites, I have to recommend "Cyclo" (Vietnamese) - one of the most beautifully shot films I've ever seen (though horrifying to watch.)

Christine
Christine Noguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:18 PM   #29
Trustee

Oh my god! I forgot the South Park movie. That is the only movie that I have ever laughed so hard in there were tears streaming down my face. And after only 5 minutes...
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2002, 06:03 AM   #30
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Anoraks? Ok. I give. What's it mean?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark