Once Upon a time in MEXICO, Rodriguez dissapoints with features - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Just saw this thread, so I'll give my own opinion on RR.

Honestly, I think he is overrated, but then so are a lot of other Directors. I thought El Mariachi was a good film, but Desperado and OUATIM was very disapointing.

It seems to me that he rips his own ideas off and tries to peddle them as new ones; Spy Kids 1 - 3 begets Shark Boy and Lava Girl?!! I know a couple of my fellow students who think he really is a big deal, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I think he is pretty good at marketing and promoting, which is probably the one thing that really has gotten him into the "big" leagues.

Now to deviate a little bit, hope no one jumps me for this, but I see RR as a bad sequel to George Lucas. Lucas has his flaws, and telling the same story for 6 films is the ultimate in ripping oneself off :-)

RR though is obviously a product of the times he matured in, just as Lucas is a product of the times he matured in; flimically I mean. It seems a lot of people are getting so caught up in technology as a means to tell a story that they are forgetting the story needs to be solid to really fly. Also, I think relying on technology too much weakens the creative drive, since you can always forgive a lack of forethought or proper pre-production by saying, "we can add that in post."

I'm more of a "use technology to enhance the story or achieve something that the story needs you couldn't get any other way, kinda guy."

I also do not think that RR is really a truly independent filmmaker, since he has access to greater financing, and distribution than a typical indie; at what point does one leave their indieness behind after commerical success? I'm not sure, but it's what I think.

To close, I can't say the guy doesn't deserve some accolades, after all getting to where he is at is a dream lots of people share, so what if his films suck? He's still laughing all the way to the bank.
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark