Full Frontal reviews - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 10th, 2002, 06:42 AM   #61
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : I just wonder how many of the armchair critics have actually spent a few dollars and gone to see the movie. No arguments about wasting time, either. We waste an hour here and there every day. I know I'm guilty of that. So, go see the movie. You might come away with an idea for your next project or a technique you want to try. But, at least give me an honest and thoughtful opinon on something you've actually seen.

Jeff -->>>

Jeff: Good points. I go to movies for two reasons: to be entertained and to study technique. Last night, I saw Full Frontal for the second time, along with The Kid Stays in the Picture (documentary on Robert Evans) and Tadpole (also for the second time). All were playing at a multiplex in Arlington that caters to indie film (it also has good popcorn). Seven hours well spent because all three of the films were good studies on technique.

The films also provided a good break after nine straight days cutting a documentary on the American mood on terrorism.

Liking or not liking what Soderbergh did in Full Frontal doesn't make any of us right or wrong. Any film that provokes thought and discussion proves its merit. When I got home last night, I popped Traffic into the DVD and watched it again (Soderbergh originally planned to shoot part of that film in DV). The Mexican scenes would have worked beautifully in DV.
Old August 12th, 2002, 11:39 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Soderbergh

I feel that Steven Soderbergh has been an inspiration to me personally. It's hard to find many established filmmakers who are willing to talk about the technical aspects of filmmaking and in the process reveal their secrets and methods. I love David Lynch's work, he is one of those who are very protective of his work. He's reluctantly discuss or even talk about his films.

As a filmmaker, I have learned a lot from watching his movies and hearing him talk about his process.

To be honest, El Mariachi wasn't that good a movie but it was innovatove and fresh, and I think we'd learn more if we weren't so busy counting the grains on the screen and bad mouthing him for each one of them.

Daniel
Daniel Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:46 AM   #63
_redone_

This will be the last time i will be somewhat influenced by the critics.

This was a great movie, and very worthy of seeing more than once.....
----brilliant!

As far as the Xl1 footage quality....It did look worn and grainy but this was
OBVIOUSLY the directors intent. I for one loved this idea,.. like i said- brilliant!
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:54 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Re: Soderbergh

<<<-- Originally posted by dcny@hotmail : I feel that Steven Soderbergh has been an inspiration to me personally. It's hard to find many established filmmakers who are willing to talk about the technical aspects of filmmaking and in the process reveal their secrets and methods.

To be honest, El Mariachi wasn't that good a movie but it was innovatove and fresh, and I think we'd learn more if we weren't so busy counting the grains on the screen and bad mouthing him for each one of them.

Daniel -->>>

I agree that one can learn a lot from Soderbergh. However, Robert Rodriguez directed El Mariachi, not Soderbergh (Rodriquez remade El Mariachi as Desperado).

Interesting that we're starting to hear more positive comments about Full Frontal from people who have actually seen the film.

Doug
Old August 19th, 2002, 07:52 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Rodriguez shoots digital too

Rebel without a crew is the reason I decided I want to make movies...

What I meant is that it's great to see both of these big league filmmakers shoot digital, it's the closes thing to a pad on the back for what I am doing...

Rodriguez shot Spy kids 2 and El Mariachi 2 : Once upon a time in Mexico both in HD 24p...

Can't wait to see them...

Daniel
Daniel Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2002, 03:39 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Well .. having not seen the film myself, not even seen footage, and is probably to young to have an opinion *nudge nudge* ... here i go :)

First off, the movie sounds like its a "love it - hate it" kinda movie. Either you think he's brilliant or you think he's crap. Me, i personally think mr. Sondenberg is a very talented director. But it also doesnt' mean i have to like everything he does. I do however, do not need to call him Sodaburger (how funny it did sound) because i dislike one of his film. On the same note, i don't have to call George (F)lucas anything either just because i think the two new star wars movies are nothing but ILM showreels & aimed att selling more toys rather than telling a compelling story. But thats besides the point :)

On the other hand, me and several colleagues in Sweden have noted a change in the market right now. People ask less and less for "is it shot on Betacam or 35 mm" and are more concerned with lowering the budgets. A lot now is being shot on DVCAM/DVCPro and even MiniDV simply because the costs of doing it on 35 mm is not always appreciated by the client. And since times are fairly bad here right now, everyone is checking their costs. In short, the person going "uh. but we MUST have 35 mm or DigiBeta" wont be doing much work after a while.

And finally, regarding the "best" DV video film out there i must say i was very impressed with Chelsea Walls. It was very nicely shot & lit. Much impressed.

Regards,
Henrik Bengtsson
DocuWild
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark