Da Ali G Show... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 5th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Wrangler

Da Ali G Show...

...is the next funniest show on television. It is a work of absolute genius. It couldn't have been any funnier if it were scripted.

Most incredible moments, both in the episode "Art":

The inept Borat, in the acting studio, having flubbed the improv, is politely told by the unimpressed but sympathetic acting teacher "I thought there were some excellent moments there."

An annoyed Buzz Aldrin explains the meaning of humor to Ali G after Ali G tells a dumb moon joke without understanding the punchline: "Things are funny, or comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd."

Fink about dat.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Borat is the best! Definite classic moments right there.

respect.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 04:33 AM   #3
New Boot

Have they shown the one with the gun control campaigner over there yet?

Ali: Yeah but if you have a gun all the bitches love you don't they?

Campaigner: Well they won't love you when you get shot and you're sitting in a wheelchair will they? Have you thought about that?

Ali: Yeah but.. up until then?
Thom Seaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #4
Trustee

He's hysterical. I can't believe how he manages to keep a straight face in those interviews!

He has two other productions I've seen that any fan of his should definitely check out. The first is a feature length film! I guess, as the English folks will confirm, he's been around for a bit over there. The title is Ali G In Da House.

The second is an E-True Hollywood Story type mockumentary, with the hysterical title: Ali G: Before He Was Massive.

Funny stuff.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I had caught Ali G giving a speech to college grads on HBO, between movies. I thought it was pretty funny, so I checked out the Ali G show's first episode. All I'll say, is it wasn't as funny as I had hoped. It was Jackass mentality at best.
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Re: Da Ali G Show...

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt :
An annoyed Buzz Aldrin explains the meaning of humor to Ali G after Ali G tells a dumb moon joke without understanding the punchline: "Things are funny, or comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd."
-->>>

Was that the sketch where he referred to Aldrin's colleague as "Louis Armstrong"? :)
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : I had caught Ali G giving a speech to college grads on HBO, between movies. I thought it was pretty funny, so I checked out the Ali G show's first episode. All I'll say, is it wasn't as funny as I had hoped. It was Jackass mentality at best. -->>>

He's a complete and unabashed intentional jackass. That's what makes it so entertaining. He has no qualms about speaking at great length with Sam Donaldson, Butros Butros Gali, or whatever head of state or influential person, and make his subtle commentary but in a totally jackass sort of way.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

I really didn't have any problem with his commentary style. I thought he was funny at times. In the first show, he goes into a Police Acadamy. The result was a cross between Pauly Shore and Ozzy Osborne.

The Middle Eastern guy looking for a woman was funny. Dating service asked what he was looking for in a woman- Man says a woman that wouldn't cheat or steal from him. He would crush her.
Dating service says- No crushing... Crushing is bad
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #9
Wrangler

I'm a huge fan. Just ruthless, ruthless stuff.

Last night I had a fun "aha" moment when I re-watched a couple of the "Office" episodes (my other favorite Brit export in the past few years) and realized that when the porcine Keith dresses up on "red-nose day", he is emulating Ali G.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #10
New Boot

I liked the 'Christmas Message' he did one year as an alternative to the Queen's, in which he interviewed the Reverend Richard Dawson:

Ali G: OK, on to the more important subject of presents. If you was Jesus, what would you give: Playstation or Dreamcast?
RD: I'm sorry, I don't know.
Ali G: Playstation, ain't you?
RD: I really don't know anything about either.
Ali G: Playstation, ain't it? Cos it's old school but some of the games are wicked...
Thom Seaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #11
Wrangler

Us brits have a twisted warped humour, don't we? I'm glad you yankees enjoy them too.

Its a bit old hat over here, I have not seen Ali G on TV for a while and The Office was only 2 series and a special christmas edition. since then its all been repeats.

Cheers

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #12
Capt. Quirk

Coupling has to be my favorite import.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #13
Wrangler

"I had caught Ali G giving a speech to college grads on HBO, between movies. I thought it was pretty funny, so I checked out the Ali G show's first episode. All I'll say, is it wasn't as funny as I had hoped. It was Jackass mentality at best."

The speech was the Harvard Commencement address, full text available on his web site.

The humor of Da Ali G Show doesn't come from Ali or Borat or Bruno. It comes from the humorless interviewees who make an effort at tolerating him, who re-interpret his inanities into deep probing questions (watch Ali's childlike, self-satisfied reaction when, upon asking how one knows when to nuke another country, General Brent Scowcroft tells him it's a very good question--Ali takes this as a great compliment!), and who frequently enough become so piqued that their repressed prejudices explode into expressions as illogical as Ali's idiocy but infinitely more maleficent.

At the soul of it, it's a show about the unmasking of hypocrisy, and that is always funny.

Bigupyaself.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : "It comes from the humorless interviewees who make an effort at tolerating him, who re-interpret his inanities into deep probing questions (watch Ali's childlike, self-satisfied reaction when, upon asking how one knows when to nuke another country, General Brent Scowcroft tells him it's a very good question--Ali takes it as a great compliment!), and who frequently enough become so piqued that their repressed prejudices explode into expressions as illogical as Ali's idiocy but infinitely more maleficent.-->>>

You're a film critic in disguise!
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #15
New Boot

Come and listen to the non-ironic original! :-)

Americans curious about Ali's origins might want to check out BBC Radio's homepage for Tim Westwood, the white-but-desparate-to-be-black DJ upon whom he is generally thought to be modelled:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/urban/westwood/

Peace,
Thom
Thom Seaman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark