Is anyone anxious to see Exorcist: The Beginning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 8th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is anyone anxious to see Exorcist: The Beginning

Okay, this thing should be a disaster: three different directors, a COMPLETE reshoot (the studio canned the version Paul Schrader turned in but will release it on DVD), and they hired Renny Harlin to make the final version (The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, uggggh)....So why am I excited about seeing this- because it involves The Exorcist, the scariest movie of all time. I will be going in with low expectations but if they start playing Tubular Bells....like I said, low expectations but hope.
Brack Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

The trailer looks good and if I hadn't known previously about all of the Shraeder- remake nonsense I would have been quite interested. I'll wait for the reviews. Trailers are misleading.
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:57 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'm sure it will be at least as good as Exorcist 2 and 3.....
(super-sarcasm)
Sorry, saw the trailer and it reminded me of a bad movie with a good trailer.
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree Dylan, it will probably be just as good as 2 or 3!

Brack, you are absolutely correct. The Exorcist is probably the most terrifying movie, on a visceral level, ever made. The fight between good and pure evil has never been portrayed as effectively as in this movie.

This new movie will probably another "Blockbuster Weekend" pic for me.

For some of Director of Photography, Owen Roizman's comments on lighting the picture, try going to http://www.theasc.com/magazine/aug98/exorcist/pg1.htm

For my a look at my personal Exorcist page, you can go to http://www.rbravo.com/the_exorcist.htm

RB
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You have got to be kidding me Rick. Your dad worked as a cameraman on The Exorcist AND The French Connection! WOW! That is too cool. That is why I love this board. There are some really interesting and knowledgeable people on it. Also, thanks for the links. As for The Exorcist, no other horror movie even comes close in my opinion. That movie freaks me out to this day and I only sat through the whole thing once! Edited to say your dad also worked on Cruising. In my opinion that is a really underrated film. Anyway, your father and grandfather led really interesting lives. I'm sure your father had great stories.
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Brack.

I can honestly say that most of what I know today was learned from tagging along on the sets with my dad since I was six years old. It was a very interesting childhood for me growing up in NY.

My first day on the set of The Exorcist, Owen gave me $50 to be a lighting stand-in for Linda Blair, I lay in that bed for almost 1 1/2 hours until Linda came out of makeup...the only problem was when she came out of makeup, she appeared in FULL makeup and scared about 5 years out of me!!!

You're absolutely right about Cruising.

I'm glad you enjoyed the site!

Regards, RB.
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Ill check it on DVD, maybe.

Nothing compares to the original and making this one seems like overkill and just an excuse to use the name and score. Renny Harlin cant make a good film if his life depended on it and Im still in awe that he is a working director.

That being said? Im sure Renny could give a damn what I think.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Skyonic New York

<<Renny Harlin cant make a good film if his life depended >>

are you saying The Adventures of Ford Fairlane wasn't a master piece?
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Well alright; sans Ford Fairlane. :P
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well, it's Thursday evening and there are still no reviews out there. Not a good sign. This is starting to look like The Village all over again. Will this be as bad as the second Exorcist? Could anything be as bad as the second Exorcist? And yet there is no way I won't be seeing it tomorrow. Meeting up with my bro for the 1 o clock showing. Been looking forward to this for a long time. Man, I'm a sucker. Damn you Renny Harlin!
Old August 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I saw it today. Morgan Creek was smart not to have any advance screeenings for the critics. It is the worst film I've seen this year. Completely uninspired and filled with cliches. Renny Harlin has to be the most unimaginative director in Hollywood. A film like Cutthroat Island would have ended most careers but somehow this guy has managed to keep getting the fat paychecks. Perhaps this disaster will be the nail in his coffin and he can go back to Norway or wherever he came from and make movies of the week. The script, editing, and score are all terrible. Some of the blue screen/CGI stuff is laugh out loud bad. After getting over the shock and disappointment of just how pathetic this film was I spent most of the third act laughing my head off at the bad special effects and ridiculous attempts to scare the audience. Perhaps the most depressing thing was as I was leaving the theatre I heard someone say, "This was much better than the first one." Huh? Is this how far the general public has sunk? Are they completely incapable of discerning between a classic and this piece of garbage? Has the crap on tv made people this freakin' mindless? The whole thing has left me in disbelief. This flick deserves to be a bomb. If there is any justice in the world it will be gone in a week.
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Glad someone saw this before me..

When I was 17, skipped school and went to see the original Excorcist with a few friends. One of them got so scared, he passed out. It was the only movie until Alien that scared the living daylights out of me. I went home promising God I would never skip school again. (like that stuck, hehehe).

have to understand, I came of age in the Bible belt (Arkansas). Most of us believed in spirits and demons. So we didn't exactly see it as fiction (even though we knew it was). Crips amighty.

It took me at least a month to get over that movie.

It is truly a classic. the rest are crap, as in dog.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM   #13
Major Player

You nailed it with that comment. When the first one was released I was 3 years old but saw it on HBO (If I remember correctly) when I was about 8 or 9. This film scared the crap out of me. Not many films can scare me; as a child Carrie, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw and a few others got me good.

In 1973 this film dealt with issues of religious faith and that is what made this so terrifying I think; the fact that this could happen in the realm of Catholicsm, demonism, possession.

BTW Brack

Thanks for the review. Renny must have made a deal with the devil cause his films just plain suck.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM   #14
Air China Pilot

Extremely poor rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Kind of funny considering the amount of Internet promotion this movie has had on all of the popular movie sites.

Rotten Tomatoes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:02 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link Keith. Those are some BAD reviews! Morgan Creek is now saying they might release the Paul Schrader version theatrically but unless it's as laugh out loud funny as the Renny Harlin version I don't think I'll be going.
Brack Craver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark