DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Best movie about movies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/3121-best-movie-about-movies.html)

Chris Ward August 9th, 2002 05:35 PM

Best movie about movies

I thought we might try a different angle on this best of list. While The Big Picture is the funniest, I think Mistress is probably the most on target. When I first saw these films I just thought of them as entertainment. Now, however, I can see how perceptive the writers were when they wrote their scripts.

Matt Betea August 9th, 2002 06:12 PM

i liked Living in Oblivion. or it could just be steve buscemi.

Jason Wood August 9th, 2002 06:12 PM

-American Movie

pineapples10 August 9th, 2002 10:47 PM

i will second American Movie.....its a classic...and Cohven isn't half bad....beautiful black and white....

Matt Stahley August 10th, 2002 12:07 AM

i'll third AMERICAN MOVIE!

Chris Hurd August 13th, 2002 06:07 AM

Call me nostalgic, but Stanley Donen's "Singin' In The Rain" with Gene Kelly, Donald O'Conner and Debbie Reynolds examines the transition from silent films into sound movies and still entertains after all these years.

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2002 02:54 PM

Swarzenegger's Last Action Hero.

BAHAHAHAAA!!! Sorry, I just wanted to see if I could type this in without laughing. I couldn't even keep a straight face sitting at my computer.

Jason Wood August 13th, 2002 03:41 PM

I'll add to my list...

-Swimming With Sharks
-Bowfinger
-The Valley of the Dolls
-Cecil B Demented
-Sunset Boulevard
-The Muse
-Ed Wood
-A Star is Born
-Gods and Monsters
-The Player
-There's No Business Like Show Business
-Chaplin
-Sullivan's Travels
-Barton Fink
-The Bad and the Beautiful
-The Hard Way

Jason Wood August 13th, 2002 03:43 PM

Oh, and Ridely Scott's "RKO 281".

Chris Ward August 14th, 2002 06:15 AM

Singing in the Rain is a great pick, that's one you've got to see on the big screen. Ed Wood is another one that I loved. My wife told me that Ed Wood was a semi-autobiographical version of my life. I told her that Ed Wood made some of the worst movies in the history of Hollywood while I was an accomplished independent artist. What could we possibly both have in common? She said you're both dream big but work small.

Chris Ward August 14th, 2002 06:17 AM

Day for Night

I don't know if this is available on DVD but here's one that anyone with a passion for filmmaking should see.

Chris Hurd August 14th, 2002 07:21 AM

Chris, when your wife said that Ed Wood was semi-autobiographical for her, I thought it meant that she likes to wear angora sweaters. Not that there's anything wrong with that! In fact, sounds kind of nice...

Good call on Truffaut's "Day for Night." I haven't seen that in years.

Blake Edwards made "S.O.B." back in the early '80's. It's about the industry, but I haven't seen it in a long time, either. Then there's Alan Alda's "Sweet Liberty," more of a relationship comedy but it's built around a Hollywood production company coming to a small New England town and its impact on the local populace.

Charles Papert August 14th, 2002 07:28 AM

Well, I posted this in the "Top Ten" thread but it makes more sense here, so I'll be rendundant..."The Stunt Man" is my all-time favorite movie about movies.

In a more recent vein, "State and Main" is pretty fun too.

A couple of years ago I worked on a Fox series called "Action" starring Jay Mohr as a a**hole movie producer. That was a great show, any of you guys catch it? We only did half a season before cancellation, but the reruns show up on F/X occasionally.

Chris Hurd August 14th, 2002 07:39 AM

My, you're up early, Charles... it's 6:30am where you live... you must be working for a living these days. Shooting "Scrubs," right?

I do remember "Action" with Jay Mohr as Peter Dragon. Think I have at least one ep on VHS somewhere in the vault. Knew it wouldn't last, because it was such a great concept that seemed to be dead on. The viewing public doesn't like that very much. Plus, Fox kept moving it around. The viewing public doesn't like that very much, either.

I'm going to have to start asking which movies and TV series you *haven't* worked on, Charles!

;-)

Eric Emerick August 14th, 2002 01:54 PM

Check out Project Greenlight on HBO. It's a serial doc of giving a first time writer/director a million$ budget and a garanteed showing of the finished product. Produced by Matt Damon & Ben Affleck. Interesting and entertaining. I'm not sure how many episodes are left, but it's easy to jump into.