Greatest action film ever? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #16
Trustee

I will give you a 50's, The Seven Samurai.

I also would suggest Gran Prix.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #17
Air China Pilot

Grand Prix is certainly one of the best driving movies ever.
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #18
Wrangler

Seven Samurai was somthing I considered, but while it is a fantastic film, the action isn't in the same league as others.

Re: Star Wars, agreed, sci-fi not action, but the action elements are near non-stop and certainly top most "pure" action films.

Re: Predator
One of my favorite action films, but on it's best day is no T2.

Re: Die Hard
On Keith's nomination, I watched it today. It would easily win as best realistic action film, realistic in the sense that it has no alients, Death Stars, or robotic assasins.
To quote the FBI quoting Homer Simpson:
"Dear Die Hard
You Rock!"
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Anybody ever see "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia". While not the greatest action movie ever, it had some of the most brutal, gruesome violence of the 70's(?). Also it had an atypical structure/payoff that really worked.

sorry...maybe i shouldn't have posted that, but the violence was so "coldblooded" and real. Ahead of its time.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #20
New Boot

My first thought for "greatest action film ever" was 'The Sound of Music'. Um... but anyway, I liked 'Ronin' though I'm not sure if that's considered an "action movie". I've never really understood how movies are categorized (obviously).
Marlon Trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #21
Air China Pilot

Jesse, "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" was directed by Sam Peckinpah who is still extremely influential for his introduction of that kind of violence into American film. The archtypical Peckinpah movie was "The Wild Bunch" which really stood put a close on the John Ford western genre. It remains one of my favourite films not just because of its violence but because of its themes of morality and amorality. Even though it is certainly action-packed, I wouldn't consider "The Wild Bunch" or "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" as strictly action pictures.
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #22
Trustee

Action Film(s)

Peckinpah is fabulous. I've read two bios about him and his life is fascinating.

How come nobody mentioned Peckinpah's "The Getaway" starring Steve McQueen? I mean, come on, that movie has the best and most graphic gunplay in the history of cinema.

What about the James Bond series? Hello?
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #23
Major Player

The Getaway, yes, I will mention it with all sincerity, because it's terrific.
I'm not an action flick sort of person, but I have over the years (of my youth) gone through bouts of admiration: John Woo's Hong Kong films, Peckinpah...I go for the (flawed) character films no matter what, I suspect. "Strictly action"? I'm not sure I know about that, but:

The Getaway
Lawrence of Arabia
John Woo's The Killer
Marathon Man
Straw Dogs
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Italian Job (original)

I do like The Matrix, or at least certain trends that it has introduced or popularized into action filmmaking. Action is motion, and this film has sparked interesting perspective on motion, action, dynamic, that sort of thing. That whole speeding up to the subject, then suddenly slowing down to pass it by, then speeding away...I still think that that kind of cinematic treatment of subject is very inspiring and welcome as an addition to the cinematography vernacular (whatever the genre).

Some may find this to be a stretch in an Action thread, but I really like what the Godard/Coutard team did with "action" in their films. No one would ever classify their films as action films, probably, but their treatment of violence within the stories can be quite astonishing. Camera work and editing. Sometimes detached, sometimes psycho, sometimes enlivening, often disorienting. Their sense of "action" didn't always have a gun directly involved in the situation, though it kind of felt like it did, sometimes. And remember, no Godard/Coutard, no Tarantino.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Heres my perspective as an Englishman:

Die Hard
T2
Aliens
Matrix
Predator
Indiana Jones 1+3
James Bond films

Not that different from you guys ;)

Unfortunately, us British folk can't really make a good Action film (apart from JB of course) so it is usually left to Hollywood.

Just my 2 pence.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #25
Trustee

My English Friend...

What about British Director Peter Yates' movie "The Chase"? wasn't that action?
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #26
Major Player

How about the original "Get Carter", that was from you Brits, wasn't it?
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #27
Trustee

I think I will open another avenue. I think Jackie's Shanghai Noon is a great one.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #28
Major Player

I'll pretend you didn't just try to add "Shanghai Noon" to the list of greatest action movies ever!...

j/k...I love most of Jackie's movies (could have lived with out "The Tuxedo", and "Shanghai Nights"). "Shanghai Noon" really did kicked a**
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #29
Air China Pilot

I don't know .. "Get Carter" is an awesome film but .. 'action'? The most action it had was Carter being driven down from the parking lot by that girl in the convertible.
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #30
Major Player

You know, I didn't see the film ("Get Carter"), just a couple of clips, and it made it look like a bad a** shoot 'em up. I guess I should have known better after what they do with "previews" nowadays.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark