DVinfo topic of the week - If you could remake... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 5th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #1
Wrangler

DVinfo topic of the week - If you could remake...

If you could remake any movie you wanted, with a reasonably unlimited budget (say low nine figures), which movie would you remake?
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

That's a tough one... I want(ed?) to change the ending of "Heat".

Otherwise probably the Batman franchise, but that's already
being done by somebody else <g>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Trustee

The entire Chronicles of Narnia series that was awfully done by BBC some years back, starting with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". Such an action-packed, exciting series for young and old just waiting for a properly budgeted modern film.

But that might be cheating the question since it's not really a remake, per se.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sticking with the chronicles theme... How about Chronicles of Riddick. I loved Pitch Black but that sequel was a trainwreck.

Also I'd love to do a remake of either "The Andromeda Strain" or "Logan's Run." I think someone actually is redoing Logan's Run though...

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #5
Trustee

My Name is Nobody.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

'The Magnificent Ambersons' using Orson Welles' original script and with Sam Mendes directing
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #7
Air China Pilot

I would remake "The Seven Samurai" in a modern setting.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : I would remake "The Seven Samurai" in a modern setting. -->>>
I thought about it, but I figured it would come out like "The Magnificant Seven". Shoot, look at the stirring that is caused by Han/Greedo shot first in Episode IV of Star Wars ;)

Edit - Better explanation. I would be afraid to remake it. To me, it is one of the Holy Grail films. You just can't make another one. You would be lynched if you tried to redo Gone with the Wind, It's a Wonderful Life (wait, didn't Marlo Thomas try that), or some of the Hitchcock films.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

I think the story is so good it can be set in any number of locations and settings. I wouldn't be afraid to redo it, just that it wouldn't be "The Seven Samurai". It would be the seven whatevers.

It already has been redone not only as "The Magnificent Seven" but also by Roger Corman as "Battle Beyond the Stars". It featured James Cameron's effects and design.

Brian de Palma wanted to make a version set in Central America.
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #10
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : The entire Chronicles of Narnia ... -->>>

I'm waiting eagerly for this one! The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is supposed to be out Dec 2005. And then they're going to try and do all the other books as well. Those New Zealander's are really becoming a movie making powerhouse.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #11
Trustee

generally i'd hate remakes. here are two reasons why:

1. if the original sucked... why remake it? this is why you have ocean11 and lots of other 'remakes' that simply take material that suck and added modern suck-ness to it.

2. if the original rocked... why remake it? wouldn't you just watch the original? i could throw up if i hear anymore remakes about 7 samurai. it was perfect as it was.

it's a pretty extreme view but hey... let's face it, after all, how many movies are original anyway? nowadays movies are based on books, older movies, used ideas, etc. heck they were doing that during the silent films anyway.

now... i think i have to balance this view with some sense+sensibility (an awfully slow movie). there are many that i know that scoff when i mention 'black and white' movies. heck i haven't even mentioned silent and they brush it off. i just don't get that at all! so that's why i think Peter Jackson's right when he says that no one will go see the 1933 version of king kong... why not remake it with modern technology and give audience a version that does justice to the original but also gives people a chance to want to watch the original for comparison. that's an interesting idea and ultimately a dilemna. should we remake chaplin's films cause no1 wants to see black and white movies with NO DIALOGUE? should we remake it so as to cause them to watch the original? interesting topic...
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Interesting points.

The reason why I want to see "The Magnificent Ambersons" remade is because RKO re-dited and reshot new scenes and stripped down the film to 2/3 it's original running time.

Someone remade it once, but word is that it's terrible.

I actually like Ocean's 11. I think they call it a 'remake' because it's good marketing to use an established name, because if you compared the two versions, the stories are really different.

Now what I don't get is recreating a film, shot for shot, like Gus Van Sant did with 'Psycho'. And even worse, the original was so much better.
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #13
Trustee

I'd remake a classic that can't be made bad because the story is to good.

A Christmas Carol comes to mind....I might actually do that?
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #14
Trustee

Wow, Michael, they really ARE remaking Narnia! I'm excited!

Mostly I really hope they don't screw it up. I see two familiar faces in the IMDB list for its cast, and it seems good.

Tilda Swinton should be a SPOT ON White Witch.
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0842770/

And Jim Broadbent will make a great Professor.
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000980/
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Alien Vs. Predator. Man, I hate Paul W.S. Anderson. So so very much.
Lathe Austin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark