Best horror films? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 21st, 2006, 03:01 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Jacob's Ladder
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM   #77
Regular Crew

The Others
The Grudge
Dawn of the Dead (remake). I've liked all the zombie movies from Resident Evils to Shaun of the Dead, but this is my favorite.

on the low budget side of things..

May
Dead Birds
Greg Girardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM   #78
Major Player

rosemary's baby , ninth gate... realistic films that subtly hint at the supernatural, using audiences imagination to scare
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM   #79
Major Player

Unless I missed it.... has anyone mentioned Black Christmas?

Classic horror flick!
My family watches it every year... :)
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:23 AM   #80
New Boot

"The Omen" my favorite Gerry Goldsmith score! and good acting...
"The Sentinel" scared me when I was little.
"Mother's Day" 1st slasher I saw at the theaters. Didn't sleep for a week!
"Phantasm" a little dated now but still some memorable creepy scenes...
Pat Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #81
Major Player

scary movies

House of 1,000 Corpses (Dir. Rob Zombie)
I recommend this movie to every horror fan. Although its plot isn't anything new, the characters are memorable, and each scene is more bizarre than the one before. The movie wastes no time and packs a lot of terror (and dark humor) into it's 76 or so minutes. The movie contains some of the most grotesque and cruel torture scenes on film, and a lot of memorable lines.

"Run, rabbit!"
"It's all true. The boogeyman is real."
. . . and any of Sid Haig's lines :)

The sequel, The Devil's Rejects, did nothing for me because it completely ignored the intriguing back stories. In retrospect, a movie about Dr. Satan would have been more fun than yet another serial-killers-on-the-run-from-the-law flick.

I'm interested in the TX Chainsaw Massacre 2, which comes out Oct. 6. I haven't seen the remake of the original, but I will before seeing the new one. The original Tobe Hooper movie definitely freaked me out as kid though.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #82
MPS Digital Studios

I'm just glad none of you mentioned Uwe Boll's movies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30194

heath
Old September 26th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #83
Trustee

Jack Nicholson's descent into madness in 'The Shining'. And the sound of the kid riding his big wheel down the hallway, from carpet to wood and back; knowing that he was going to turn a corner and see those two girls in front of the elevator.

Best adaptation of a King novel.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..."

Freaky.
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I'm just glad none of you mentioned Uwe Boll's movies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30194

heath
Ha.. I've seen a couple of them. They're so bad they should be the subject of a film making course in how not to make a movie.. especially BloodRayne. "Alone in the Dark" was also a crime against humanity.

Who gives that guy money?
Greg Girardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #85
Major Player

Speaking of Tobe Hooper

the original Salem's Lot is often overlooked-I thought they were the scariest vampires since Nosferatu
-the kids floating to the window always creeped me out

anyone remember a Rod Serling narrated show (not Night Gallery) called Encounter with the Unknown where one of the stories was about a hole in the ground--and at the end this farmer is lowered on a rope into it and when they pull him out he has gone crazy?
another one had this guy pick up a hitchiker with really weird eyes

another rare tv one Dead of Night: the last episode about the kid who comes back from the dead one stormy night to visit his mother.
Turns out he didnt come back--he wanted revenge on his overbearing mother so he sent..someone else...
bwahahaha

the Night Gallery pilot was pretty good, mainly the Roddy MacDowell painting on the wall episode was creeeepy. I would kill for one of those prop paintings. That would be a great trick to pull on someone.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. These are in no particualr order.

The Uninvited (1944). Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey are brother and sister who rent an old house, only to find it's inhabited by ghosts. No overly-cheesy effects (pretty good for 1944) and some solid acting.

Martin. Romero's vampire movie. Worth checking out. Our hero, Martin, is an 81 year-old vampire, wh looks 18. He doesn't use teeth anymore, but prefers to use sodium pentathol and razor blades on his victims.

Phantasm. The ads freaked me out as a kid (I was three when it came out). Finally got to see it as a teenager. I love the scene where the boy is in the antique store and picks up an old picture, and the picture comes to life.

Creepshow. Never liked cockroaches.

The Day After. Yeah, made for tv with Steve Guttenberg. But I had nuke-mares for months after seeing it. Haven't had the nerve to watch it again since it aired.

Johnny Got His Gun. I know it's not technically a horror movie, but it scared the living bleep out of me.

Something Wicked This Way Comes. I just noticed in my list Jason Robards has appeared three times. Jonathan Price makes a wonderful villian. Love the scenes inside the library.

Halloween. I went the night before Halloween this year to the theater to see it on a big screen. It held up well. One of the few movies I've been to in a long time that people actually watched the movie, and didn't get cellphone calls, talk to each other, make out, etc. Still has a couple of jump-able moments. One guy outside the theater complained there wasn't enough blood. I worry about people like that. . . .

Oh, and on that note, I want to see what Rob Zombie will do with Halloween. I liked House of a 1000 corpses for what it was, doing a good bad 1970s horror film with updated language and gore. Getting Karen Black was perfect. I liked Devil's Rejects because it wasn't a horror film, but an homage to crime-does-not-pay movies like Bonnie and Clyde and The Wild Bunch.
Jeremiah Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:22 PM   #87
Regular Crew

There was a film called 'Superstition' when I was a kid, and it scared me sh**less! I'd love to see it again, but I can't find it anywhere.

It starts with a couple of guys scaring people by hanging a dummy from a tree, then they go into a house and get killed. There was a scene with a head in a microwave that really got me at the time.
James Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM   #88
Major Player

My favorites

I've read through here and there are some movies I'd long forgotten! Thanks for bringing it all back. However, there are some that have been left out, but noteworthy:

- Halloween - mentioned, yes, and quite possibly my all time favorite
- Alien - the original, best sci-fi horror movie, in my opinion
- The Shining - although the book is better (don't read it in the dark!), Jack Nicholson makes this movie the classic it is
- Jaws - I still don't swim in water I can't see in!
- Fatal Attraction - scared the @#$% out of every man in America!
- Friday the 13th - forget all the sequels...when that kid jumped out of the water, I about @#$% myself!
- The House that Screamed - I watched this when I was a kid (it came out in '69). It was in Spanish, subtitled and terrifying! The next morning, I would NOT come out from under the covers because I KNEW there was someone standing over the bed with a knife.

I know there are others, but I just can't think of 'em right now.....
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM   #89
Regular Crew

I can't believe nobody has mentioned, The Descent.

Fantastic editing keeps you guessing where the next jump is coming from. It restored my faith in the genre.

Takes a Brit to do it properly ;)

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Black Sunday. Scared the piss out of me when I was a kid. This is from a child who fell asleep watching The Birds for the first time... right after the schoolmarm was found with her eyes pecked out.

The Shining was truly brilliant. And only two people die in it... And one by freezing. King was silly to attempt a remake of Kubrick's masterpiece.

If you're looking for gruesome... and gross: Make Them Die Slowly
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark