Your Favorite Film??? (Look inside and have some fun!) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 8th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #46
Regular Crew

The Shipping News

Billy: "They said he slept with his wife after she were dead."

Quoyle: "Oh God!, is there anything else I should know?"

Billy: "No, dat about covers it."
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #47
Major Player

Holy cow.. Keith! But it seems we are both right actually..

The Vow of Chastity

I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by DOGMA 95:

1. Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).

2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot).

3. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; shooting must take place where the film takes place).

4. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).

5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.

6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)

7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)

8. Genre movies are not acceptable.

9. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.

10. The director must not be credited.

Furthermore I swear as a director to refrain from personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear to refrain from creating a “work”, as I regard the instant as more important than the whole. My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and settings. I swear to do so by all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations.

Thus I make my VOW OF CHASTITY
_

Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995

On behalf of DOGMA 95, Lars von Trier, Thomas Vinterberg
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #48
Major Player

I've been reading that vow of chastity for a few years now; I'm into it. Violence and music are so damn easy as hooks for material. I won't get into it too much here, but, very cool that Dogme managed to enter into the folds of this thread.

The FUNNIEST film known to me is either Wes Anderson's Rushmore or his The Royal Tenenbaums. The comedy as a work of art or whatever, this guy's films kill me, everytime. Because they're brilliant cinema. The humor isn't script/word based solely, or gag based. It's lighting, angles, colour, pace... Kills me!

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #49
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you haven't already, you should watch "Bottle Rocket." Great dialogue.
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #50
New Boot

Barry Lyndon.

Often overlooked, its the work of a master at his peak.
Tegan Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #51
Major Player

As an adult, I think it's his finest and richest. As a late adolescent, it was Clockwork, and in my early twenties, 2001.

Will have to take a look at BottleRocket, thanks John.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #52
Trustee

that's funny i just saw bottle rocket tonight from movielink.com as part of EW's offer to preview their service. it's OK but not really a classic. it's typically wes andersen.

meanwhile, jackie coogan's most famous persona/role is "the kid" with charlie chaplin, is that what you're referring to?
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #53
Major Player

King Kong.
the original, of course.

I could never be a Dogme 95 director. I like action, and strangeness too much. And I hate hate hate rules. Also, to me, anything that entertains is good, I don't care if it's a movie about pocket lint, giant monkeys, grandma's funeral or horny space aliens.

More power to anyone who has taken the vow of chasity, though.

and I did enjoy "Mifune" which was a Dogme 95 movie.
But I wouldn't want to make it.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."

Last edited by Michael Gibbons; May 8th, 2005 at 06:33 PM.
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Magnolia.

The acting is amazing, the cast is amazing, the director is amazing, the movie is amazing.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #55
Major Player

My Name is Nobody

I'm not a huge fan of spaghetti westerns in general, but I do like anything with Terence Hill (www.terencehill.com). He is quite a unique actor.

Last edited by Frank Ladner; May 20th, 2005 at 09:36 AM. Reason: remove duplicated word
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM   #56
Regular Crew

It must be BRAVEHEART.

I love small indie productions and art-films, but this one is special.
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Has someone here seen Oldboy? That Korean movie that won the jury price at Cannes? (And will have an American remake in 2006, unfortunately)?
It's really a beautiful movie.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #58
Fred Retread

Drama: Amadeus
Has the most original and sympathetic antihero ever--talented and passionate enough to recognize and be tortured by the genius of another just by looking at the written notes. Hit me right between the eyes, but maybe that's just me. Brilliant to use Salliere's (spelling?) point of view.

Musical: Singing In the Rain
Needs no explanation

Horror: Stephen Hawke's The Thing
Pace, whip-smart dialog, dash of humor, suspense, B&W eeriness, shocks, traumatized me as a kid.

Okay, okay-- Amadeus
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #59
New Boot

I just might have to go with something like Sin City. It seems like no movie carried out it's concept and original idea quite as well as it did.
Matt Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #60
Major Player

Phenomenom

Don't like John Travolta (do like Kyra Sedgwick), the premise is far-fetched, it's kind of a 'chick-flick' and yet every time I pass by it playing on a movie channel, I stop for a few minutes and watch. Some outstanding cinematography of the foothill vistas in central California.

Second goes to The Sixth Sense. It completely suckered me the first time through and it has claim to the only movie I ever watched three times before I took it back to the video store. It made me watch this directors other films though they don't match The Sixth Sense.

Third is actually a mini-series: Lonesome Dove. Duvall is an all-time favorite.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark