Your Favorite Film??? (Look inside and have some fun!) - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #61
Trustee

I was glad to see Gattaca in some of the early lists. The score to that movie was amazing, in fact I think it may be what I like most about it. Also the use of color was masterful.
The subject of the movie was well ahead of it's time. I mean who in the world was thinking of those issues then? It really should have been made now, but I'm glad it wasn't because it would most likely have been ruined by the over use of special effects.
Gattaca is everything I love in a movie. It's a well told, fairly well thought out story that is told with minimal effects work. Thought provoking good story telling.

All that being said, I dont think i saw a vote for American HistoryX. That movie left me speechless for about an hour after I saw it. I'll never be able to shake the teeth on the curb scene.

I'd love to name about 10 more movies, but that would be breaking the rules *cough* Usual Suspects, Close Encounters, Dead Poets *cough*

-Ethan
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper
I was glad to see Gattaca in some of the early lists. The score to that movie was amazing, in fact I think it may be what I like most about it. Also the use of color was masterful.
The subject of the movie was well ahead of it's time. I mean who in the world was thinking of those issues then? It really should have been made now, but I'm glad it wasn't because it would most likely have been ruined by the over use of special effects.
Gattaca is everything I love in a movie. It's a well told, fairly well thought out story that is told with minimal effects work. Thought provoking good story telling.
Indeed a very fine movie, with one of the most beautiful opening tracks by Michael Nyman ever.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #63
Trustee

I think it can be said of Gattaca that it is the height of modern minimalist cinema. From the way it was shot, to the way the score was written and performed. (sorry for the poor sentence structure... my 5th grade teacher would kill me if she read that last fragment of mine)

On a side note, I bought the DVD a few months ago and was going through the deleted scenes and noticed that they looked very very odd. It was almost as if they shot the movie on some type of strange film stock, or ran it through an odd process. I've never seen anything with that look to it before. I understand that these deleted scenes, as is true with most deleted scenes, were not processed and polished the way the finished film was, but even with that in mind I've still never seen anything like it before. Has anyone else noticed this?
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #64
Trustee

It's funny..I saw Gattica when it came out. I didn't like it at all...at the time I was to much into modern paced films. (I was 25, so please excuse the youth!)

Flash forward 7 years later - I caught it on HDTV a few months ago. It was the only thing on that night, so decided to "give it another chance". I do that a lot years later and always get surprises. This was one of those surprises! I loved it...pacing was slow...which I LOVE now. Also, very minimal if non-existant effects. I'm anti-effects now...have been for about 4-5 years.

Anyway, Gattica was great the second time around for me. I've also recently caught a few other great ones on HDTV too. They're porting movies that didn't do so well in the B.O., so we now get to see them in HD for nothing. (cable fee, ya i know)
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #65
New Boot

Off the top of my head favorites are:
scifi-donnie darko
action- Heat (w/robert deniro and al pachino)
Eric Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Braveheart. Absolutely magnificent movie, everything about it is top notch.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #67
Regular Crew

I can't pick one it truly is impossible, but here are ones that continually come to mind when I'm asked:

Battle Royale
American Beauty
Usual Suspects - Usually I don't like a movie where the ending is something that may degrade the film if known before hand (like EVERY M Night movie), but in this case I believe the movie stand on its own, beyond the ending.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #68
Major Player

Wow, this is such an interesting thread - thanks Murph!!

Just quickly, while I'm thinking about "The One", as regards Usual Suspects I think so much of it's charm, power and brilliance lies in the fact that the ending *should* be bloody obvious, but you're taken in by the unreliable narration.
Brilliant.

OK, so I guess I'm out of thinking time...

Err... I'd have to say Bladerunner, personally - just brilliant in every way...

Pi's a bloody close second though, and Fight club not far behind, to wantonly break the rules!!!

Oh, and this one's gonna really blow my cool (if I ever even had any!):
The Breakfast Club.

Damnit, why did I have to grow up in the 80's?!
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #69
Regular Crew

I second that this is a really interesting thread!

I've asked and been asked this exact question many times, and it's always a struggle to give just the one answer, sigh.

Not any easier today, but I'll give the answer I've most often used, drumroll please...and no jokes about it ok, ;-)

The Sound of Music, ta dah!

Hey, it's kinda old, but I've seen this movie more than 20 times man, and each time I see something new or look at it in a different way.

Lots of movies mentioned have also made my list of good movies, Bladerunner - great movie. The 25th Hour - great acting. American History X -wow, and I am also never going to forget the curb scene. Usual suspects, lol that phrase made my lexicon. Braveheart, always good for the weekend!

Gattaca was interesting, but didn't really move me.

Lemme throw out another old movie and see who knows it, I love this movie as well, and it takes a close second in times viewed by me :-)

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

How many times have I or my friends said Tuco's famous line: When you have to shoot, shoot, don’t talk!

Lol, that gets me everytime. Anyhow, hope you guys laugh with me, and not at me. :-)
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #70
Major Player

This is fun Christopher

Currently I am junkying on 2 films

House of a 1000 Corpses
Shaun of the Dead

Are they my favorite films ever? No But lately they are.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #71
Major Player

Whilst we're on the subject of old movies, I just finished watching The Hustler again for the first time in years - man, that is one hell of a film...

And how about Charade - that's gotta be one of the best scripts ever written, and beautiful performances from both Audrey Hepburn (Mmmm!!) and Cary Grant.

Sorry - that takes me up to about 6 now, doesn't it? :)
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark