Kingdom of Heaven (Ridley Scott) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Yi Fong Yu I learned very quickly not to take on Keith when it comes to Asian cinema <grin>.

As far as you saying you didn't meet any Asians who like CTHD, were they all Cantonese? Since the story is Mandirin, could that have something to to with it? Just wondering.

I agree with Keith about Cinema being universal. But there are always those who want things to be seperate.

One of the most disheartening things I see/hear is when Asians from the mother countries call American Asians 'bananas'. Apparently they've equated being American to being white only.

Some here, have decided to take that insult and turn it into a badge of honor, seeing themselve as more socially advanced than their mainland and taiwanese cousins. (I've heard terms like Hicks and bumpkins...so we can be just as bad)

The other disheartening part is because I'm white, trying to establish friendships with Asians in general is met with suspicion or disbelief from both races. I get silence and cold shoulders from the Asians, and really pathetic chinese jokes from whites. (Usually something from Monty Python, and no don't ask me to repeat them). Some Asians ask insulting questions designed to attack any answer you give.

So I watch Asian cinema in hopes of getting better insights into another culture, one that is ancient, magnificent, powerful, tragic, has had multple peaks and valleys over several millenia, has never been truly conquered (not even by the Mongols who were quckly assimilated). But in no way do I feel inferior. Just awed in many ways.

In some ways we should learn from Chinese history what not to do. They became so smug and insular they slowly became decadent, rasing even the most trivial minutae to levels of importance that weren't deserved. It's that history that gives me the reason to reject so much of what Ray Carney beleves is the only type of stories important in film (the inner journey is the only one that counts....blah blah) Look what that approach did to an entire society.

Then we should learn from Chinese history what we can do, and how a people living through extreme hardship and cruelty can not only survive but thrive.

But for now all I get are movies, and if thats all I get, then I'll happily take it.

Damn, I'm so f#cking Irish sometimes aren't I?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #32
Trustee

halo joe,

i live in boston, i'm starting to think i'm irish (how's O'Yu sound?)... even if i'm not, but that's neither here nor there.

i've met a mix of mainlander chinese, HK, cantonese, Japanese, Philipino, Laotian, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Asian American from the Pacific Islands. i think Hero&House of Flying Daggers is much, much closer to wuxia genre's heart than CTHD. even Ang Lee himself has said that CTHD was geared towards Westerners.

as for racism amongst asians, it's pretty common everywhere. i'm sure there's racism amongst black community, hispanic community, etc. it's just people, =).

as for establishing relationship with asians, do you mean asian girls? it's like an asian fetish thing, right? =^). heh heh heh. no worries i have that, too. the key, i think, is you're not just marrying her, you're marrying her entire family =^).

man, we keep getting offtrack. back to KOH, is anyone besides me excited about the movie? i really think it's gonna be awesome!
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #33
Air China Pilot

The last trailer you posted disheartened me, actually. The affect of the images has worn off by now after the first three trailers. I'm sure it will be a nice spectacle but now that they've revealed a lot of the story it's beginning to look pretty paint-by-numbers.
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #34
Inner Circle

>>as for establishing relationship with asians, do you mean asian girls? it's like an asian fetish thing, right? =^). heh heh heh. no worries i have that, too. the key, i think, is you're not just marrying her, you're marrying her entire family =^).<<

That Asian fetish question is one of the ones I was talking about.
(Yes I know you are kidding). And when I tell them no, they pretend to be pissed and ask me why I don't like Asian women. Oh well...

I was talking about Asians in general. Beer buddy, someone who likes the same movies I do..., just friends, gender not important. fellow human being. I guess I got spoiled growing up an Air Force brat.

Besides my fetish is for beautiful redheads. :)(that's women btw). Washington DC area has lots of them. sigh.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #35
Trustee

keith, you're correct. i hate trailers that reveal 2much information. i would hate to think ridley scott is behind all of this.
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #36
Inner Circle

On one of the entertaiment shows, they stated Scott has constructed a set that is 1200 feet long by 50 feet high, and done it four times (for 4 walls) to accurately replicate old Jerusulem. Incredible.
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #37
Air China Pilot

Kingdom of Heaven newest trailer.. is that Journey in the background?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/ki...cal_large.html

I liked "A Knight's Tale" sure but ... geez.
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Yeah, I think it is Journey... hope it's not in the film.

Looks really good. I am supposed to teach a seminar on mounted combat in July this summer... I wonder if it will be swamped after this opens.

....nah, nobody want's to REALLY learn what it's like.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #39
Trustee

i thought the very first trailer was awesome. best trailer in the last 5 years imho... BUT they had to and ruin that with a series of MORE trailers... *sigh*.
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #40
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
I am supposed to teach a seminar on mounted combat in July this summer... I wonder if it will be swamped after this opens.
....nah, nobody want's to REALLY learn what it's like.
I like how it shows the Saracens attacking in Crescent formation.

I'm sure it will have a veneer of authenticity.
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Oh my god, the music in the new trailer is one of the most inapproperiate music pieces someone ever choose for a movie, and really ugly if you compare it with the previous trailers...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #42
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Okay... I'll be the first to say it. I LIKE the music. So sue me. ;)
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #43
Trustee

a little offtopic but John Locke, have you seen the latest series titled, "Lost" from JJ Abrams?

now back on topic. no matter what the trailer is by now, i'm definitely seeing it. ed norton is in it!!!=^).
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #44
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

My lawyers are advising me not to make any public comments regarding the show.
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #45
Trustee

Where's Brad Pitt in the trailer? I could have sworn Brad Pitt was in this.

I think I'll wait for the prequel.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark