DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Saw? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/37167-saw.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere January 2nd, 2005 12:21 PM

Saw?

Hi,

Someone told me about this movie, here in Belgium it isn't released yet (hope it will be).
Looks very promising, the website is very beautiful, the trailer looks promising too (looked it up via IMDB) and the reviews are good to.
Anybody comment on it?
The movie is named SAW:

http://www.sawmovie.com/

John Locke January 2nd, 2005 09:26 PM

Wow...fantastic web site! Amazing.

I heard an interview with these filmmakers. They said they wanted to make a film that would have limited actors and locations so that they could actually come up with the money to make it. Hence...the story.

Imran Zaidi January 2nd, 2005 10:41 PM

Saw it a couple of months ago (no pun intended). It started off creepy and very disturbing (in a good way), but somewhere around half-way in it starts to take a turn, and without giving anything away, ends really goofily and unbelievably.

But that's just one man's opinion...

Either way, by no means does it live up to comparison to Seven. Not by a longshot, unless you stop watching about 30% in and leave the rest up to imagination. But even then, the acting is pretty lackluster.

Jesse Bekas January 3rd, 2005 01:24 AM

One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. The dialogue and slow revelation of the story all seems very forced. The writer plays one of the main characters, and acts out his own dialogue very poorly. Some of the plot is just unintelligible. They keep trying to throw you "twists" that don't fit or even make sense. All it had going for it was the basic concept, which wasn't fully realized, IMO. Easily skippable.

Totally off subject, but I saw "Ju-On" (Japanese "The Grudge") last night. Anybody catch anything even slightly reminiscient of a plot in that one?

Brandon Greenlee January 10th, 2005 06:36 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jesse Bekas :
Totally off subject, but I saw "Ju-On" (Japanese "The Grudge") last night. Anybody catch anything even slightly reminiscient of a plot in that one? -->>>

I just happened to watch this last night. I liked it a little more than I did the American version starring SMG. I enjoyed the movie greatly and it kept me in good suspense. Sometimes I think we as moviemakers try to look to hard into movies, instead of just watching them for entertainments sake.

Jesse Bekas January 11th, 2005 12:40 AM

I am usually harsh when critiquing films, but often I feel it's warranted because it seems like the vision of many "bad" films was obscured by money concerns (i.e., constant rewrites because of studio fears, casting based solely on who's "hot", changing above-the-line crew in midproduction, etc...)...

With Ju'On, though, I was being dead serious. I could not find anything that resembled a central question, a resolution, turning points, etc...I could not find a story; just a series of frightening moments and shots. I was kept in suspense too, but only because I was waiting for something to happen that might tie together a plot. ;)

Brandon Greenlee January 11th, 2005 08:18 AM

I understand what your saying.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie (well I don't know if enjoyed is the right word. It scared the hell out of me as all slightly scary movies do.) However, it was not until I looked back at the movie that I was able to discern that I really didn't know what the story of it was. I think most people leaving the movie just accepted the fact that 'they did not understand the movie', because it made you feel as if there was an underlying plot - you just weren't looking hard enough to interpret it.

There very well could be no overall theme at all. I see the point you have. I see in no way that this movie is a great achievement. However, on the other hand when watching a movie purely to be entertained (like House of a 1000 corpses for that matter) I do not think the average person would notice, much less dislike the movie for its lack of a story.